Decent Tune-up

docc

Excellent! Thank you! :thumbsup:

I'll be  trying to get that dedicated Diagnostic Cable thread posted and pinned soon so we can, collectively, post reliable cabling sources worldwide.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a couple V11 at +10 to +15. I am not sure if these were set arbitrarily, or (ideally) with a real-time exhaust gas analysis.

All of the factory settings I have heard are around minus 30 and I know of none that did not run better at zero. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

We checked the CO TRIMM on my bike at this past SSR.  Discovered it was +10.  I have never attempted to adjust it so unless a previous owner tampered with it (doubtful as my bike only had 3,033 miles on it when I purchased it), it came that way from the factory.  Since I routinely get 41+MPG and have no fueling issues, at Wayne's suggestion we left it as is.  My bike has stock mapping, K&N air filter, Stucchi crossover, and Mistral carbon cans.  No popping, sputtering or flat spots.  Hope this helps 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to clutter this thread, but I thought what I found today might be instructive. First, a little background. I have had the Mighty Scura out in SoCal for 6 years and 14K miles. I *did* adjust the valves and change the plugs, but that was it for tuning. I had no tools or place to work at the grandkid's place. 

It was running ok, so why mess with success?  :)

I brought it home this summer, and finally decided to give it a tune up today. Imagine my surprise when I found the TPS set at 308.4 mv, and CO trim at +40. (!!) Set them at 157 and 0, checked throttle body balance (right on), adjusted the idle, and went for a ride.

Throttle response was a little quicker, and it seemed that initial acceleration was improved.. but not much.

Just goes to show you how far out they can be and still run ok.  :rasta:

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I've added a couple edits and links to the first post. I'm trying to be careful to keep the procedure "basic" and not get into *fine tuning* but added a couple specifics in the balancing section after watching myself perform this tune-up on the Sport.

Recently, someone asked me if the TPS baseline had to be reset once done. I found mine "out" a little after 60,000 miles mostly affected by the dirty throttle plate. Cleaned it up and set it to Meinolf's recommendation:

gallery_328_223_1003085.jpeg

I can say that, after almost 6,000 miles between tune-ups, she responded fantastically. Not that she was running badly, but the difference after is fabulous: very crisp start-up cold or hot, very stable idle, and awesome pulling power through the revs.

My fuel economy went way down :o since I can't remember when I've spent that much time above 6,000 rpm!  :race:

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my tune up  on the Greenie as per your procedure docc.  I must say she is running much better than before. Hooked up Guzzidiag and checked the Fuel Trim/CO, I was surprised to see the setting at -67. Reset it to 0 and everything is fine. 

Thanks again docc.  :thumbsup:

. Now you are a pro.

I set my bike up last year. I just used the voltage meter on the TPS. Your all seem to be missing one of the settings on the TPS. There are to spec one to start of and then your running spec. I have the factory manual also have a set of mercy gauges. Bike runs very well only problem when I get up in the mountains as I back the throttle of or light throttle there is a light popping out the throttle body's as soon as I get back down the mountain every thing is good. I think I need to get the cable and plug into to EMC and set the fuel trim. I do run a cooler spark plug also.

Just an update.. after setting the Mighty Scura's CO back to zero from +40 (!) I had a lean stumble. Set it to +20, and that went away. It was the last ride of the season, so haven't fooled with it any more. Fuel economy? Hard to tell. I was at 41 mpg at zero.. but.. I've seen that under certain conditions when it was at +40. Spring will get here eventually..

I set my bike up last year. I just used the voltage meter on the TPS. Your all seem to be missing one of the settings on the TPS. There are to spec one to start of and then your running spec. I have the factory manual also have a set of mercy gauges. Bike runs very well only problem when I get up in the mountains as I back the throttle of or light throttle there is a light popping out the throttle body's as soon as I get back down the mountain every thing is good. I think I need to get the cable and plug into to EMC and set the fuel trim. I do run a cooler spark plug also.

Hi, kiwidave!

Yes, the manual specifies both the baseline TPS setting and another at idle.

The consensus has been to set the idle where the bike simply idles well without concern for the "degrees of opening" or millivoltage exhibited by the TPS. This is in Step 6 of the Decent Tune-up.

Also, note that the TPS idle setting is a range while the baseline is specific.

As always, YMMV and there are numerous other *fine tuning* steps that you can move on to.

Just an update.. after setting the Mighty Scura's CO back to zero from +40 (!) I had a lean stumble. Set it to +20, and that went away. It was the last ride of the season, so haven't fooled with it any more. Fuel economy? Hard to tell. I was at 41 mpg at zero.. but.. I've seen that under certain conditions when it was at +40. Spring will get here eventually..

Chuck, what kind of exhaust/ intake mods on the Mighty Scura?

Also, you feel confident that the TPS baselined on a clean throttle plate?

Chuck, what kind of exhaust/ intake mods on the Mighty Scura?

Also, you feel confident that the TPS baselined on a clean throttle plate?

Exhaust is a full Staintune system.. headers, crossover, and mufflers. Open air box with the English filter that looks like a K&N. Forgot the name..

Power commander, so no telling what it's doing.

Yeah, I took some pains with the TPS because of that first reading..

when I found the TPS set at 308.4 mv,

Power commander, so no telling what it's doing.

Hmmm, there is that . . .

Simple to delete and see what changes in ride-ability.

Otherwise, I would think that is a pretty "free-flowing" intake-exhaust set-up.