Decent Tune-up

docc

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, po18guy said:

Got my Casper's TPS breakout harness. How do I terminate the green and purple wires?

Er, into a multimeter set to dc?  Sorry- i feel i’m misunderstanding the question 😆

10 hours ago, po18guy said:

Got my Casper's TPS breakout harness. How do I terminate the green and purple wires?

I shortened the two correct wires and tagged them red for positive, black negative with female bullet connectors that my multimeter clips into. Let me get a reference image that clarifies and specifies the +/- . . .

edit: Okay, here you go. violet/black is positive, violet is negative. The third (yellow) wire gets cut and looped back into the heat shrink, unused.

DSCN3581.jpg

• Like 1

You'd think a purpose built MG harness breakout would have only the two necessary wires? Are there earlier or later TPS units that require a third (ground?) wire? I have two plain purple and a single plain green. Will check after a period of dormancy.

16 hours ago, po18guy said:

You'd think a purpose built MG harness breakout would have only the two necessary wires? Are there earlier or later TPS units that require a third (ground?) wire? I have two plain purple and a single plain green. Will check after a period of dormancy.

All V11 TPS have three wires. The violet is the ground. Both the violet/black and yellow connect to the ECU, but the yellow is not used to baseline the TPS.

It appears these wire colors remain consistent across the V11 range, but stranger things have been discovered.

41 minutes ago, docc said:

All V11 TPS have three wires. The violet is the ground. Both the violet/black and yellow connect to the ECU, but the yellow is not used to baseline the TPS.

It appears these wire colors remain consistent across the V11 range, but stranger things have been discovered.

I think docc it's less confusing to identify the wires as earth, Input ( 5 volt power supply) and output (the variable voltage seen by the ECU so it knows what the throttle angle is) All the positive, negative etc seems confusing to me as there are actually 2 positives, one a variable and one not.

So Violet is earth

Yellow is Supply

Violet/Black output.   

BTW the 99 V11 doesn't have the Violet as an earth according to the WD, it's black.

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well said. So, the TPS is baselined ("set") using the Violet/Black output and the Violet (earth/ground). The Yellow (Supply) is not used in the procedure.

[FWIW, my Owner's Manual and Workshop Manual show the violet TPS earth/ground. I do see a black TPS earth/ground on Carl Allison's diagram, yet my March 2000 Sport has the violet earth/ground wire.]

If you are using the Casper's , your DVOM will show either a pos. or neg. V reading .

I used terminals {meter lead ends) that I could plug my meter leads directly into . 

2 hours ago, docc said:

Well said. So, the TPS is baselined ("set") using the Violet/Black output and the Violet (earth/ground). The Yellow (Supply) is not used in the procedure.

[FWIW, my Owner's Manual and Workshop Manual show the violet TPS earth/ground. I do see a black TPS earth/ground on Carl Allison's diagram, yet my March 2000 Sport has the violet earth/ground wire.]

Yes docc, I cant remember which colours my bike has now but I seem to recall there wasn't a black. Maybe the Allison diagram is wrong.   

Ciao

Given the fine direction provided by the IllumiGuzzinati, here is the TPS harness all dressed with multimeter connectors attached and the yellow terminated with liquid electrical tape and tucked into the harness.

IMG_3112.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, docc said:

Nicely done, @po18guy!

So, those connectors plug directly into the multimeter? Tidy!

(In best Elvis voice) Thank ya very much! I'm on kind of a roll with this electrical stuff. For the ever necessary voltage check via the SAE charging cable:

IMG_3114.JPG

• Like 5