Decent Tune-up

docc

10 hours ago, docc said:

In the Workshop Manual, Section I/ Carburation Procedure (page 52 in my manual), the TPS setting is specified at 150mV (no range). The idle setting of the TPS is given in a range, but shown in Throttle Plate opening angle in degrees (3.2º - 3.6º).  [Please note the final idle rpm, idle TPS voltage, or idle throttle plate degrees are NOT critical, as long as the idle is not too low.]

Yes, chapter 20 of section I.

I looked again last night, but still couldn't find where I read +/- 15. Annoying...

Anyway...:huh2:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, audiomick said:

Yes, chapter 20 of section I.

I looked again last night, but still couldn't find where I read +/- 15. Annoying...

Anyway...:huh2:

Interesting, I recall that range as well, but cannot find a reference to it. Early on, I recall setting my TPS to 165mV (top of the "range") thinking 1) this will give me more fuel and 2) all modern bikes are lean.

Both of these assertions are, of course totally wrong. All I succeeded in was to index the mapping a step off.

My experience since has borne out Meinolf's 157 mV setting, perhaps +/- 3 in order to stay within the same step on the lookup table.

• Like 1

You will be doing more than TPS adjustment. Throttle plate FULLY closed setting (on both assemblies , synchronizing these two throttle bodies then setting TPS to 157 mV at the throttle plates FULLY closed . After that is done , do not worry what happens w/the voltage. V at closed throttle and V at idle speed are not the same.

23 minutes ago, docc said:

... I recall that range as well, but cannot find a reference to it...

I've got the document on this computer, and will keep looking. Probably not tonight, but in the course of time... B)

Thanks, @Speedfrog! We knew it was there, somewhere!

From the beginning, the tune-up procedure in the V11 Workshop Manual came in for a lot of criticism. Hence, the various alternative methods to achieve reliable tuning outcomes with the V11 Sport/LeMans variants.

Take, for example, the phrase " . . . completely closed throttle on the attached rod. "

It is, in fact, not possible to completely close the throttle (plate) when attached to the (throttle linkage) rod. Attempting to set the TPS in this fashion would be completely ineffective with a pathetic outcome.

Further, allowing a range in the TPS setting that indexes the map a step (or two or three steps) off, would lead to the kind of stumbling, hiccups, idle instability, and other complaints commonly attributed to the V11. While there are maybe a half dozen or more contributors to this undesirable running behavior, performing the "Decent Tune-up", with particular attention to the TPS procedure (Step #2), has benefited countless numbers of V11s.

I might suggest that the " +/- 15 mV" language at the very end of the section "If, after this procedure, the idling speed is not within the indicated range " is to prevent the shop technician from fussing with the parameters for another hour. That is, after all, what owners are for . . .

• Like 4

8 hours ago, docc said:

That is, after all, what owners are for . . .

Why is the expression "Beta tester" bouncing around my mind just now? :grin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Why is the expression "Beta tester" bouncing around my mind just now? :grin:

Feeling more Zeta, here.  :oldgit:

• Haha 1

MMMMMMmmmmmm.  You will just have to go back and look at everything printed on the subject and see .

• Haha 1