Decent Tune-up

docc

On 4/20/2021 at 3:47 AM, po18guy said:

Given the fine direction provided by the IllumiGuzzinati, here is the TPS harness all dressed with multimeter connectors attached and the yellow terminated with liquid electrical tape and tucked into the harness.

IMG_3112.JPG

Darn clever of you!  I shall shamelessly copy, and leave the alligator clip setup for the unwashed masses....

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/20/2021 at 5:54 PM, gstallons said:

I'm glad someone can post pics . These are just like mine

For those times that I want to go ghetto, I also made up some QD spring clips. Those times would be when confronted with the veritable plethora of leads competing for space at the battery terminals.

IMG_3131.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a part # for this Casper cable or a link of where to buy gents?

I have my Guzzidiag cables, done everything on the Norge, Griso and Scura, but this 157 millivolt check on the TPS.  I have a good voltmeter, but I keep reading the process over and over and can't really figure it out just yet, but since I don't have the Casper wires to do it just yet, might as well get those and then see if the volts are in line with what they should be!

Thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Fabulous!  Thank you…that’s the one.  Now to figure out the process…Guzzidiag is easy to use, so hopefully this hunt for 157 Millivolts will be as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Fabulous!  Thank you…that’s the one.  Now to figure out the process…Guzzidiag is easy to use, so hopefully this hunt for 157 Millivolts will be as well.

I am going to stare at the TPS and contemplate how to make a vernier adjustment so that the reading does not zip from 100Mv to 99 trillion with one tiny slip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, po18guy said:

I am going to stare at the TPS and contemplate how to make a vernier adjustment so that the reading does not zip from 100Mv to 99 trillion with one tiny slip.

It will only change again when you tighten the mount screws down fully

Ciao

It is clear to me from my TPS adjusting that there is far too much play radially and axially for a sensitive electronic device.  Gonna have another look.

3 hours ago, po18guy said:

It is clear to me from my TPS adjusting that there is far too much play radially and axially for a sensitive electronic device.  Gonna have another look.

Worn throttle body bushes don't help accurate setting of the TPS. See my thread on re bushing the throttle bodies. I also tie wrap throttle blade fully closed ( firmly but not too hard) when I set the TPS 

Ciao 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Is 157 mV the "zero" setting of the Throttle Position Sensor? e.g. with no throttle input, fully rested, one should aim to obtain 157 mV on the multimeter.

I have ordered a Casper break out cable, and I have a Fluke.

At this point I only want to check the reading. I don't want to adjust.

What is the tolerance in mV? +/- 5 mV?

From what I gathered, the TPS calibration is what needs to be checked periodically.

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

Is 157 mV the "zero" setting of the Throttle Position Sensor? e.g. with no throttle input, fully rested, one should aim to obtain 157 mV on the multimeter.

I have ordered a Casper break out cable, and I have a Fluke.

At this point I only want to check the reading. I don't want to adjust.

What is the tolerance in mV? +/- 5 mV?

From what I gathered, the TPS calibration is what needs to be checked periodically.

Correct, 157 mV completely closed: no throttle rod, no idle stop screw, no interference from the high idle mechanism  (release this last), clean throttle bore, with the throttle plate pressed fully closed (I like Lucky Phil's zip-tie suggestion).

The tolerance in the Workshop Manual is given in Degrees of Opening:  3.6º +/- 0.5º

If that percentage can be applied to the 157 mV value, the tolerance would be +/- 21.8 mV . . . That impresses me as really broad and undesirable.  With how fiddly the value is being affected by the tightening procedure, I am generally satisfied with 150-157 mV.

I used to think once set it is done, but there are enough wear changes in that system to revisit it with each tune-up (specified at 6000miles/10000km, but I prefer 5000miles for my worn-out ol' Sport).

• Like 1