Shifting woes...

craigsinclair

Captain obvious here. Be sure to NOT replace the alm flywheel with another oem alm flywheel. There is forum evidence that some have done this. Replace it with an oem dual plate clutch ( probly best bet) or Ram low inertia single plater(very hard to find). Or something else with a steel flywheel.

Captain obvious here. Be sure to NOT replace the alm flywheel with another oem alm flywheel. There is forum evidence that some have done this. Replace it with an oem dual plate clutch ( probly best bet) or Ram low inertia single plater(very hard to find). Or something else with a steel flywheel.

The guys at MG Cycle have assured me this kit will seamlessly replace the clutch assembly in my 2001 Rosso and is in stock. And they suggested it's about half the price of replacing the existing single plate clutch with an OEM dual plate clutch. 

The guys at MG Cycle have assured me this kit will seamlessly replace the clutch assembly in my 2001 Rosso and is in stock. And they suggested it's about half the price of replacing the existing single plate clutch with an OEM dual plate clutch. 

It will apart from the gearbox drive spline piece (leave the original one in place) and MAYBE the clutch push rod. The main clutch and flywheel unit is the same as the 5 speeders with the possible exception of the push rod receptacle. There is a thread on the push rod issue here somewhere and whether or not you need a 5 speed one.

The most economical way for you I believe.

Ciao   

That's good to hear. We've been speculating about this - and when I last talked with the guys there they said it might work... they must have given it a closer look to be able to recommend it now.  Here's a thread for your enjoyment...  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19510&hl=

Here's what I believe:

The difference between the 5-speed kit and the 6-speed kit was only the input hub for the transmission. The RAM-compatible 6-speed hub are no longer available, hence they cannot sell a kit to convert from OEM to RAM. However, since you already have the correct hub in your RM, you can use the 5-speed kit with your 6-speed hub.

This should be an easy install.  I think you should test it out for us and document it.  :pic:   You  :luigi:  and we'll  :drink:

Phil - we posted at the same time. I think the pushrods are the same. I have one from my parts bike (02 LeMans dual plate) ready to compare to my Scura (OEM single plate) as soon as I get motivated to take the engine out.

Perhaps off topic, in a way, but how would this kit be fitted to a twin-plate V11?

Different input hub only?

Engine side: off with current flywheel and twin plate clutch. Mount 5-speed RAM flywheel and clutch (pre-assembled) to crankshaft.

Tranny side: remove input hub (gear). Install special, RAM-compatible input hub (the only thing that make's it a 6-speed kit). 

The interesting opportunity here... I bet many RM, Tenni, and Scura owners have saved their original input hubs, because they needed to be removed to do the twin-plate conversion. So... if you were inclined to give your 100,000 mile sport some special treatment as a reward for all the pleasure she's given you... you could probably help her "slip into something more comfortable" if you can locate an input hub.

That's good to hear. We've been speculating about this - and when I last talked with the guys there they said it might work... they must have given it a closer look to be able to recommend it now.  Here's a thread for your enjoyment...  http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19510&hl=

Here's what I believe:

The difference between the 5-speed kit and the 6-speed kit was only the input hub for the transmission. The RAM-compatible 6-speed hub are no longer available, hence they cannot sell a kit to convert from OEM to RAM. However, since you already have the correct hub in your RM, you can use the 5-speed kit with your 6-speed hub.

This should be an easy install.  I think you should test it out for us and document it.  :pic:   You  :luigi:  and we'll  :drink:

It's been ordered. I'm in Canada and MG Cycle isn't so it might be a couple of weeks before Canada Customs lets me have it. MG Cycle did mention that I'd have to re-use my input hub but didn't mention a need to change the clutch push rod. My email exchange with them suggested; "We've only recently discovered that the RAM kit for 5 speeds differs from that for 6 speeds only because of the input gear (hub)." I'll certainly take pictures and post them here. 

"We've only recently discovered that the RAM kit for 5 speeds differs from that for 6 speeds only because of the input gear (hub)." I'll certainly take pictures and post them here. 

Cool, glad to see it confirmed. Footgoose and I had several long conversations with them about it (re his Tenni and my Scura). My 6-speed kit was on backorder for over a year.  In retrospect, I could have ordered a 5-speed at anytime. At least I got 12,000 miles out of the OEM clutch and flywheel - I figured that would be well within the early failure limit.

This is all good to hear.

Docc.... we* believe this to be true. We only need to wait till one of us does the swap to confirm. I won't be doing mine for a couple of months. Are you interested in a single for your bike?

'we' being MGcycle, and a few of us here on the forum. I hope we're right.

The 5 speed RAM kit has a different clutch pushrod 'button'. The one on the 5 speed RAM clutch kit is a smaller diameter. The one on the original single plate may swap over. This was discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Many thanks to all who are sharing the outcomes of the learning curve on this.

While I'm not likely to make any major change soon, it will be excellent to have all of this done when the time comes.

Well done, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bringing this one back, because I'm finally finding some time to get around to working on this thing. 

As was suggested, the receiver for the clutch push rod is smaller on the 5 speed RAM than the original version, but it is a pressed in steel bit. The receiver from the original clutch isn't interchangeable. So I have two options:

1. drill out the receiver to the larger diameter

2. take the push rod into a machine shop and have the end of it turned down to the right size

Thoughts? 

RAM 5 speed with pressed in metal insert:

clutch receiver RAM 5 speed

OEM, different and not interchangeable:

clutch receiver OEM single plate alloy flywheel

Bringing this one back, because I'm finally finding some time to get around to working on this thing. 

As was suggested, the receiver for the clutch push rod is smaller on the 5 speed RAM than the original version, but it is a pressed in steel bit. The receiver from the original clutch isn't interchangeable. So I have two options:

1. drill out the receiver to the larger diameter

2. take the push rod into a machine shop and have the end of it turned down to the right size

Thoughts? 

RAM 5 speed with pressed in metal insert:

OEM, different and not interchangeable:

The part about the re machine is a good idea if the ends of the push rod are not hardened.

It appears to just be a straight stainless steel rod. It would be cheaper to replace if it got screwed up somehow, that for sure, since the pressed in bit of metal in the clutch is proprietary and more complex. I was leaning that way as well, especially since it wouldn't affect the interface at the end of the rod (pointy drill bits creating a pointy hole, and potential for drilling a bit too far)