Voltage regulator: 2002 Lemans

dp.guzzi

No, a 30 Amp fuse in the red wire between regulator and the battery, some owners use a maxi fuse but if you have good tension on the fuse clips the OEM is ok.

Some Guzzis have no fuse at all, a breaker would be ok too.

The yellow wires don't need fuses, the one in the red wire protects them as well.

I believe it's more important to protect the wiring from the battery than the alternator. The battery can put out several hundred Amps and it's hard to disconnect in a panic, many of the older bikes have lots of unprotected wiring, I always add a 40 Amp fuse next to the battery. 

Our VIIs are some of the best wired guzzis IMHO

I put a ground from the voltage regulator to the frame here (where the screwdriver is pointing). I put a 30 amp fuse in the red line from the battery (you say 40?). I think I'm ready to put the tank back on but I have to go to work now. Maybe tomorrow.

When I try to start it up, I'll roll it in to the driveway, out of the garage. I don't want to burn the house down.

IMG_0731.JPG

Thank you very much Roy, Docc and fotoguzzi. I put it all together this morning, and much to my amazement, everything works. The red light is off, the battery charges to 14V, the bike runs great. Once again I am in love with my Italian mistress. At least until the next time she is unfaithful.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Roy, Docc and fotoguzzi. I put it all together this morning, and much to my amazement, everything works. The red light is off, the battery charges to 14V, the bike runs great. Once again I am in love with my Italian mistress. At least until the next time she is unfaithful.

Oh, she's faithful enough.. she just requires attention. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having some problems with the battery indicator on the dashboard. I removed the fuel tank and I was prepared to find some melted yellow wires but it seems the previous owner had the same problems and replaced the voltage regulator connections.

They don't seems in bad conditions, bike has just 6000 miles. I'm going to clean all the connections with a spray electric cleaner and putting a second ground on the left side of the voltage regulator.

Do you suggest to replace again the electric connectors?

The battery indicator on these bikes, including my Scura and Rosso Corsa when I had it, are useless. They work by the phases of the moon, whether you've recently sacrificed a chicken.. etc. Note that Guzzi eliminated it on later models.

Mine seldom comes on unless I've just come back from a hard run and the battery is fully charged. Then.. it'll come on when I switch the ignition on. Unless yours is coming on when riding it, and your battery is staying charged, I'd ignore it.  :huh2:

Mine do the problem after a long ride. You are probably right but I can't keep watching my RPM indicator going up and down like when I switch on the high beam or the turn indicators :homer:

Hmmm, I thought I'd replied to this, but that sounds like a completely different problem. Maybe a ground to the tach?