V11 Sport with strange metallic rattle

Tinus89

Hey all,

After lurking here for a while, let's introduce myself: Martijn, 27, from the Netherlands. I own a V11 Sport Mandello Rosso since a year.

Since a number of weeks, the bike has developed a strange metallic rattle from the engine under idle and load. Sometimes only when hot, but sometimes also when cold. It has been quiet while being hot recently again as well. Done so far in order to find the issue:

- Adjust valves to 0.15mm and 0.20mm. The intake valves had VERY tight clearance, the exhoust was around 0.10mm. Sound, idle and low rev pickup improved significantly, rattle remained though.

- Replaced cam chain and tensioner for the Stucci type with spring. Cold idle improved again, no change. Rattle remained.

- A local dealer suspected a pushrod had a separated end. Checked all those last night, all fine. No excessive wear on valve ends and rockers.

The bike runs and drives great. It has done 34.000km. Fresh 20W50 from Castrol.

Edit; it is not the single plate clutch, as I replaced that one last year for a dual plate version.

A video of the sound can be found here: https://vimeo.com/183857762

Guys and girls, I'm hopeless. What do you suspect and should I still drive it or not? :ninja::huh2:

Kind regards,

Martijn

Hi and welcome. Mine makes a similar sound but only at idle while warming. It's clearly coming from outside the motor (mine) so I'm not bothered. 'Something' mounted close to 'something else' and occasionally rattling. (exhaust or charcoal can?)

I would recommend using a piece of garden hose or similar tubing, about 2 feet long, placing one end at your ear and use the other to "browse" for the noise. Like a stethoscope. If it's internal, I can't speculate.

Is it detonation?

If it does it under load only, and it sounds like a metallic rattle, that could be detonation.  If you back off the throttle a little does the rattle go away?Are you sure your premium gas is good?

It wont be detonation at idle, sounds a bit like the cam chain. Might be time to check the tensioner

Ciao

- Replaced cam chain and tensioner for the Stucci type with spring. Cold idle improved again, no change. Rattle remained.

He did that..

hard for me to hear anything not normal in the video  accept what sounds like you dropped a tool off camera..

better than a hose put the butt of a big screw driver to your ear and place the tip around  the block, heads, timing cover etc to try isolating the noise.

It wont be detonation at idle, sounds a bit like the cam chain. Might be time to check the tensioner

Ciao

He did that..

hard for me to hear anything not normal in the video  accept what sounds like you dropped a tool off camera..

better than a hose put the butt of a big screw driver to your ear and place the tip around  the block, heads, timing cover etc to try isolating the noise.

Ok, missed that although if the chain is shagged ( which it shouldnt be at those miles) it still might rattle anyway. Just a thought.   

Ciao

Several common things that could break, or come loose, at the front of the V11 are the Heim / rose joint that keeps the steering damper to the lower fork clamp, the oil cooler brackets (earliest were aluminum and would break in half), and the rubberized coil mounts.

Exhaust flanges are also known to rattle loose at the header pipe connection. Also, be certain the sidestand mounting fasteners are all snug .

All,

Thanks for the responses! I indeed replaced the tensioner AND the chain. To me, it does not sound like the sound is created outside the engine. My oil cooler mounts are steel and good. The exhaust flanges are tight, as I took them off to replace the cam chain and tensioner.

Also, the sound frequency rises with the trottle/revs, which for me links it to the engine internals...

Any other thoughts? :oldgit:

All,

Thanks for the responses! I indeed replaced the tensioner AND the chain. To me, it does not sound like the sound is created outside the engine. My oil cooler mounts are steel and good. The exhaust flanges are tight, as I took them off to replace the cam chain and tensioner.

Also, the sound frequency rises with the trottle/revs, which for me links it to the engine internals...

Apologies seems I'm missing a lot of details these days.

Ciao

All,

Apologies seems I'm missing a lot of details these days.

Ciao

I think you confused the OP's post with Footgoose. The OP's post stated it made this noise under load, not at idle.

I would still look into it being detonation.

I would still look into it being detonation.

How can I find out if it is?

One way would be to have someone else ride it who is familiar with detonation and what it sounds / feels like.

Another way is to run higher octane fuel and see if the issue goes away or is reduced.

A third option is to look at the spark plugs for signs of detonation, but that can be tricky if you don't know what you're looking for.

Is there an rpm range where it does this? Is it in the 3,000 to 4,000 range?

Since a number of weeks, the bike has developed a strange metallic rattle from the engine under idle and load.

Martijn

I had interpreted this to mean the rattle occurs both at idle and under load? :huh2:

I, too, do not hear any unusual sound in the video, but if it is a noise that has only recently started, it is worth investigating.

Since a number of weeks, the bike has developed a strange metallic rattle from the engine under idle and load.

Martijn

I had interpreted this to mean the rattle occurs both at idle and under load? :huh2:

I, too, do not hear any unusual sound in the video, but if it is a noise that has only recently started, it is worth investigating.

me too,

and me too