Basic guzzidiag tutorial for V11

docc

I'm not a computer weenie at all, but I just spent a week with guzzidiag on my CalVin, so I can share a few thoughts while it's still fresh in my mind.

Don't get overwhelmed looking at all of the packets of info and code; depending on what you want to do, you need the guzzidiag program itself, then the proper reader and writer drivers for your bike's ecu model.

The reader,writer, and guzzidiag program will each have a visible "exe" file, right click  on that and select open or run (If I double clicked on Windows 10 to launch the program or driver the system would recognize it as a threat and delete the file,,aaarrrggg!)

All my USB connections seemed to self connect, I just plugged it in, didn't have to do anything other than click ok or accept the port the system chose.

I had trouble setting the CO trim on one map, but the 2nd map seemed fine,,,, other than the engine temp being 60 I ignored the prompts for kill switch engine off etc, seemed to work fine.

Good luck

Kelly

7 hours ago, docc said:

I am no expert on this, but, try a different USB port. Also, make sure the Run Switch is on and use the Ignition Switch to turn on and off.

Thanks Docc,I had tried all that.

6 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I'm not a computer weenie at all, but I just spent a week with guzzidiag on my CalVin, so I can share a few thoughts while it's still fresh in my mind.

Don't get overwhelmed looking at all of the packets of info and code; depending on what you want to do, you need the guzzidiag program itself, then the proper reader and writer drivers for your bike's ecu model.

The reader,writer, and guzzidiag program will each have a visible "exe" file, right click  on that and select open or run (If I double clicked on Windows 10 to launch the program or driver the system would recognize it as a threat and delete the file,,aaarrrggg!)

All my USB connections seemed to self connect, I just plugged it in, didn't have to do anything other than click ok or accept the port the system chose.

I had trouble setting the CO trim on one map, but the 2nd map seemed fine,,,, other than the engine temp being 60 I ignored the prompts for kill switch engine off etc, seemed to work fine.

Good luck

Kelly

Thanks Kelly.

Do I need the reader and writer to get Diag to connect?

I just want Diag at this point,check TPS volt and set Co.

I am running Windows 8

I have blue light on interface when connected to battery

Tried several other interface cables I had bought a few years ago.No luck.

All previous instructions in various places said to download drivers.My question is ,do you have to manually install into HD or do they automatically get recognized by the system as there are so many in the DL packet.?

I'll try to post  screenshots...

guzzidiag stands alone without the reader/writer.  BTW, the TPS should be checked and set with a voltmeter.

Have you tried to run guzzidiag from your Mac?

2 minutes ago, docc said:

guzzidiag stands alone with the reader/writer.  BTW, the TPS should be checked and set with a voltmeter.

Have you tried to run guzzidiag from your Mac?

I never felt confident with a good connection back probing in there,this would solve that problem and getting reading from the ECU and allow me to do Co.

Yes,too advanced OS,thinking of buying a cheap Macbook as I had no problem getting it to talk on my old mac Pro,but dropped that computer and replaced with an Air which is running 10.1.4 won't work on that,just got busy with life last couple years and never got around to trying to run GD until now that I'm laid off...

guzzidiag works on my MacBookPro OS 10.13.6.  I am uncertain what Windows versions it may or may not work on.

I never liked the backprobing, either. So glad when the breakout harness became available from Casper's! My understanding, from the guys in-the-know, is that the throttle "Degrees Open" shown on guzzidiag is not accurate enough to set the TPS.

2 hours ago, docc said:

guzzidiag works on my MacBookPro OS 10.13.6.  I am uncertain what Windows versions it may or may not work on.

I never liked the backprobing, either. Co glad when the breakout harness became available from Casper's! My understanding, from the guys in-the-know, is that the throttle "Degrees Open" shown on guzzidiag is not accurate enough to set the TPS.

FWIW I'm a computer ludite with a windows 10 laptop and Guzzidiag has worked perfectly for me every time. True docc the TPS on diag isn't accurate enough for setting the baseline.

Ciao

4 hours ago, mznyc said:

Thanks Docc,I had tried all that.

Thanks Kelly.

Do I need the reader and writer to get Diag to connect?

I just want Diag at this point,check TPS volt and set Co.

I am running Windows 8

I have blue light on interface when connected to battery

Tried several other interface cables I had bought a few years ago.No luck.

All previous instructions in various places said to download drivers.My question is ,do you have to manually install into HD or do they automatically get recognized by the system as there are so many in the DL packet.?

I'll try to post  screenshots...

I downloaded the reader, writer and guzzidiag all into a new folder on my HD so I knew where to find them to launch them.

I "think" you need to open and run the reader driver for the chip in the cable to interface with the ECU.

When I ran guzzidiag for the first time last year on my griso, everything looked fine and seemed to connect, but I wasn't able to actually read the bike's info until I launched the reader, fwiw.

There seems to be a little confusion on verifying the tps with guzzidiag; it's not accurate enough to measure the voltage to set the baseline, so I did that with a voltmeter/Caspers breakout cable and used the vm to set the idle voltage and then verified the results with the visible tps angle on guzzidiag. (I've read that according to Beetle, guzzidiag does apparently accurately read the tps angle) 

Good luck

Kelly

This is where I get confused when the instructions say, "Install FTDI Driver",beyond downloading it and opening packet,does anything need to be done to "install"?

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.35.50 AM.jpg

43 minutes ago, mznyc said:

This is where I get confused when the instructions say, "Install FTDI Driver",beyond downloading it and opening packet,does anything need to be done to "install"?

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.35.50 AM.jpg

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0

This link will take you to the latest guzzidiag tutorial that Beetle has posted, his instructions will walk you through it.

Iirc, Beetle specifically mentions somewhere in that link about ignoring the chip driver and installing the appropriate reader&writer from guzzidiag instead.

Read my instructions again, I don't know what you're seeing on your computer and referring to as packets; but you should see 3 different "exe" files, if you're not uploading a new map, forget about the writer driver, but I believe you still have to launch the reader driver by right clicking and selecting open or run for the chip and guzzidiag to read the ecu.

take your time, good luck with it

Kelly

1 hour ago, 80CX100 said:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96957.0

This link will take you to the latest guzzidiag tutorial that Beetle has posted, his instructions will walk you through it.

Iirc, Beetle specifically mentions somewhere in that link about ignoring the chip driver and installing the appropriate reader&writer from guzzidiag instead.

Read my instructions again, I don't know what you're seeing on your computer and referring to as packets; but you should see 3 different "exe" files, if you're not uploading a new map, forget about the writer driver, but I believe you still have to launch the reader driver by right clicking and selecting open or run for the chip and guzzidiag to read the ecu.

take your time, good luck with it

Kelly

I've never used the reader (or writer), but have connected guzzidiag to several V11 and one 1200Sport.

My experience has been that guzzidiag opens without having to go to individual files or packets. It is the sequence of plugging up, opening guzzidiag, and switching the bike on that seems to make a difference whether it will connect.

There is the matter of selecting the com port from the drop down menu and selecting your V11 model, as well.

1 hour ago, docc said:

I've never used the reader (or writer), but have connected guzzidiag to several V11 and one 1200Sport.

My experience has been that guzzidiag opens without having to go to individual files or packets. It is the sequence of plugging up, opening guzzidiag, and switching the bike on that seems to make a difference whether it will connect.

There is the matter of selecting the com port from the drop down menu and selecting your V11 model, as well.

Hey Docc,     When it comes to computers, ECU, EFI, maps etc,,, it's all black magic to me and it never goes smooth and seamless, lol.

I remember the first time I used it on my Griso last year, I was connected to the ECU and could see it, but I couldn't see any of the measurements of my bike etc until I remembered to launch the reader driver, was it that or something else I did in the sequence so it finally worked, idk, lol.

When you say guzzidiag worked without launching the reader driver, had you initially installed a driver for the Lonelec cable and chip? My understanding was that the cable with chip needed a driver in order to function. 

Tbh, I never tried launching guzzidiag alone this year without the reader, because the first thing on my to do list was to read and copy my oem map before I uploaded a new map.

It seems that people and their computers have different experiences and results with it; I've read of microsoft 10 users having no trouble at all and yet even with my anti virus etc disabled, every time I tried to double click and open the reader file, windows 10 recognized it as a threat and actually deleted the file. It did that on me 3 times before I learned to right click and then press open, fwiw idk. 

I keep reading people having trouble selecting com ports etc, on my computer I just plug it all together and  it's always selected com port 3 automatically in the initial set up and I just clicked ok, I've never had to search around for it etc.

fwiw tks

Kelly

Yeah, if you want to download the map, Reader is used (guzzidiag, itself, will not do that).

True what you say about fussy connectivity and that Com Port selection is sometimes an issue (but not on every OS).

Also, affirmative that downloading the FTDI Driver for either Windows or MacOS X is necessary after downloading guzzidiag. Step 2 in the "Basic Tutorial":

Hey Docc & anyone else that happens to read this, please take what I say on this computer stuff with a grain of salt, because by no means do I have a firm grasp on it, I'm definitely in over my head on a wing and a prayer,lol.

I "think" the recommended best practice now with guzzidiag is to disregard loading the FTDI driver and load the reader driver instead to drive the chip.

I "think" the reason for the change was because if you load the FTDI driver first and then later on, try to load the guzzidiag reader driver, there will be a conflict and problems.

By loading the guzzidiag reader driver instead of the FTDI driver, it drives the chip and you preclude any future driver conflicts.

fwiw

Kelly

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys,I'm gonna buy another cheap new PC as I run one program for work that is easier to run on a PC than Mac, so I should  be able to write it off for work as the POC I am using running Windows 8 was 5-6 years old anyway and big so I can justify the relatively small purchase.I also plan to use this on my Ducati ST for TPS re-set and CO set so I can use for all....I'll let you know how it turns out....

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2020 at 8:01 AM, 80CX100 said:

...verifying the tps with guzzidiag; it's not accurate enough to measure the voltage to set the baseline, so I did that with a voltmeter/Caspers breakout cable and used the vm to set the idle voltage and then verified the results with the visible tps angle on guzzidiag. (I've read that according to Beetle, guzzidiag does apparently accurately read the tps angle) 

I've pulled this up because I read something directly related in the German forum a couple of weeks ago.

Someone started a topic about how he was having trouble setting his TPS.

Paul wrote:

Guzzidiag is precise, but the ecu calculates with digital steps, and there are 256 steps from 0 to 5 volts. The potentiometer is logarithmic, so the steps are smaller in the lower range, but then there are still large steps. This is easy to see, connect the guzzidiag and then open the throttle very slowly.

Karsten wrote:

Guzzidiag reads what the ECU sees, and the ECU measures in 256 steps. This is perfectly OK for operation, but principally not suitable for adjusting the TPS.

Bernd, the bloke who programmed GuzziDiag, wrote:

GuzziDiag does not measure.

It shows what the control unit delivers.
In this case, the ECU only delivers values above a certain limit, I think 9.
That 9  corresponds to 176mV.

So multimeter for the zero setting, then GuuziDiag to set the 3.2°.

So, the problem is not that GuzziDiag is in any way inaccurate or anything like that. It only sees what the ECU delivers, and the ECU is apparently not capable of measuring the Voltage of the TPS when the butterflies are fully closed.

Those who don't own a multmeter should be trotting off to buy one about now... :whistle:

• Thanks 2