Basic guzzidiag tutorial for V11

docc

10 minutes ago, Martijn851 said:

This was the Meinolf atempt.

Ah, beyond GuzziDiag, then, and on to Reader/Writer?

Probably time for a separate thread . . .

• 7 months later...
On 6/11/2023 at 8:24 PM, Tomchri said:

Rumors mention, voltage is important.

As far as that goes, I read something to the same effect in the German forum. It was regarding a Nevada 750, and I had problems connecting the Breva 750 (same motor and ECU...).

The problem was, I could connect to the Breva following the Guzzidiag prompts for "ignition on" etc., but when I started the motor, the connection broke off.

Following reading the suggestion to start the motor first, I thought about it a bit, and decided to try "start motor" at the point where Guzzidiag says "ignition on". That worked.

That means: connect everything up. Start Guzzidiag. Select "connect" ("verbinden") from the menu. You get a pop-up that says "turn on ignition" or something to that effect.

Rather than just turning on the ignition at that point, start the motor and then click on "OK".

That worked with the Breva. I expect fully that it would work with a V11 that has the same problem (connection breaks off when the motor is started), but can't check that because the connection with my V11 works without any problems.

And if this problem shows up, and this solution works, spare a thought as to why the voltage drops during starting enough to break the connection. I haven't sorted that with the Breva yet, but I reckon there is something fishy there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 3:08 AM, PJPR01 said:

Make sure the ignition is on AND the fuel pump switch is on, or Guzzidiag will not connect.

By fuel pump switch I assume you mean the "kill switch"? I always pull the fuel pump fuse to eliminate the shot of fuel that goes down the intake ports every time you cycle the ignition switch.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, audiomick said:

As far as that goes, I read something to the same effect in the German forum. It was regarding a Nevada 750, and I had problems connecting the Breva 750 (same motor and ECU...).

The problem was, I could connect to the Breva following the Guzzidiag prompts for "ignition on" etc., but when I started the motor, the connection broke off.

Following reading the suggestion to start the motor first, I thought about it a bit, and decided to try "start motor" at the point where Guzzidiag says "ignition on". That worked.

That means: connect everything up. Start Guzzidiag. Select "connect" ("verbinden") from the menu. You get a pop-up that says "turn on ignition" or something to that effect.

Rather than just turning on the ignition at that point, start the motor and then click on "OK".

That worked with the Breva. I expect fully that it would work with a V11 that has the same problem (connection breaks off when the motor is started), but can't check that because the connection with my V11 works without any problems.

And if this problem shows up, and this solution works, spare a thought as to why the voltage drops during starting enough to break the connection. I haven't sorted that with the Breva yet, but I reckon there is something fishy there...

Bad battery/battery connections. Voltage sag during start.

Phil

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

By fuel pump switch I assume you mean the "kill switch"? I always pull the fuel pump fuse to eliminate the shot of fuel that goes down the intake ports every time you cycle the ignition switch.

Phil

Yes…the red kill switch.

18 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Bad battery/battery connections. Voltage sag during start.

Yes, of course.

I haven't done any measurements yet, so I don't know exactly how much the voltage drops during the starting process. I don't think it is that drastic, as the bike starts easily. What I don't know is how much voltage has to be there for the Guzzidiag connection to stay up.

Having said that, checking the connections is on the plan. The bike was barely ridden during the last ten years before I bought it, and I haven't had a close look at the electrics yet, other than adding a more direct line from the battery to the relais that supplies the solenoid on the starter.

6 hours ago, gstallons said:

Energizing the fuel pump will not cycle the injectors .

Every time you turn on the ignition and power the ECU it activates the fuel pump for a prime period and also puts a shot of fuel down the intakes.

Same as every time you start the bike no matter what the engine temp you get 4000 engine revolutions of the start enrichment map.

Phil

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

Hmmmm. I will have to hook up a noid light to the injector harness and see what happens

This would be really interesting to confirm.

When new, mySport would dribble fuel from the bottom of the throttle body shafts. Guzzi authorized a warranty replacement of the entire throttle body rack including the injectors and TPS.

Once installed (another story), my dealer told me that if I pressurized the system (turned the bike on and off) or started and ran it briefly, it would still drip. and they did do.

Of course, early on, I was starting the bike bike up ALL THE TIME just to hear it or show it off! :mg:  :wub:

• Haha 1

I can't remember how easy the injector connector is to reach but I will try this today (provided I have my noid lights here and not at work) to verify this. Leave it to MG to do something like this ?

• Like 1