Cheaper source for TPS

slowkitty

It's a different type of Hall Effect, I don't think they have been on the market more than about 5 years, I don't know the theory behind them but they put out 10 to 90% of the supply Voltage (5 Volts in out case) so 50mV to 5.5 Volts over 90, 120. 180. 270 or 360°

Cliff,

Yes, you're right we need the 90° option, I was about to order a 180 :homer:

Over the weekend I will figure out the complete part No and get you to check it.

2 things .

1 I was always uner the assumption that all TPSs were linear . 

2 how can a hall effect switch pass / put out / emit a variable resistance / voltage ? I was under the impression it transmitted a square wave ( on / off ) , being more of a switch  and could not transmit a variable R or E (voltage) . 

Does this now work as a variable capacitor ?

The hall effect is a voltage output. Anything else has been added.

For the On or Off logic, I believe you're thinking of a hall effect switch.

This is different.

The spec sheet is too big to copy (490Kb), so here's a link to it.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/57103/981he.pdf

I'm not sure what they mean regarding "Electrical Angle".  I would have hoped it read mechanical angle.

Some of the drawings show "Mechanical Stroke", but they all seem to hint around 120 degrees, or continuous.

Also 6.35mm shaft.  That's 1/4".    I see you can order a "special" if needed (probably add 6 months to delievry!)

One bit of encouragement is at the top of page 1:  "Throttle Position Sensor in Hall Effect Technology"

Hi,

Dear all,

a) I have a suspect dud TPS. Expensive part from Guzzi.

B) ...The V11 Sport uses a Marelli PF3C (Guzzi p/n 01530500).  It seems that certain Ducatis uses the same part.

c) There is a cheaper alternative here https://ca-cycleworks.com/pf3c, but with the express caveat that it is only for California and not other Guzzi models.

d) Other folks have used Harley's TPS...

a) Have you checked and confirmed if the TPS is defective? With GuzziDiag you can perform a fast but very reliable check if something is amiss without touching the TPS itself. Select Diagram in the View section and slowly open and close the throttle. The resulting curve should be smooth and consistent with a knee at 30°, beginning where the TPS has a different resistance curve.

b&c) The PF3C used by Ducati is the same one as on Guzzis. Going by the curve shown by Cycleworks this is the one you need.

d) You can use any TPS which can be fastened to the throttle body. If it has a different curve then the TPS lookup table in the BIN has to be changed so that the voltage delivered by the TPS at all openings corresponds to the values in that table. Most of what needs to be known to understand the TPS operation was already explained here: http://archive.guzzitech.com/HD-TPS-Jeff_B.html

Below picture shows the TPS lookup table from a 15M. The lower table is not part of the BIN, it's just a calculated table to show the voltages corresponding to degrees with a PF3C. Adapting the TPS lookup table to TPS with a different curve is quite simple. Use the curve formula of the TPS and calculate a table with corresponding degrees and voltage breakpoints. Change the values in the TPS lookup table accordingly and it's done.

Cheers Meinolf

TPS.JPG

I am attempting to produce this table for my Sport with guzzidiag and my *dubious*  HD TPS. While I am connected and a window opens from selecting "diagrams" from "view", I cannot seem to produce this table of values.

What am I missing, please?

Hi Docc,

the table in my previous post was taken from Tunerpro, not Guzzidiag. Within Guzzidiag you see the graphs or create a log by selecting value logging in File -> Settings -> Extras.

Cheers

Meinolf

I can locate Settings -> Extras -> Value Logging (CSV) by selecting "Preferences" from clicking on the GuzziDiag Version, but cannot seem to get further to create or see the TPS graph? :huh2:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

gallery_328_223_50253.png

I don't know the software at all ( I have a MyECU not a 15M, it uses different software) but the screen I see doesn't seem to be communicating, all values are blank.

Hi Docc,

the logging option logs data to a file, the graph option shows a graph. And Guzzidiag must be connected in both cases.

Cheers

Meinolf

the BIN has to be changed / taken from Tunerpro

Meinolf is a “heavy user” and takes it for granted, that we all know the GuzziDiag/Tunerpro -details and change the charts in our ecus very often…

To see and change the tps look up table, all the basic steps have to be taken.

- read the *.bin -file from your ecu (for 15M the IAW15xReader)

- open TunerPro and select the right XDF file (15M/V2.28), open the *.bin file in TunerPro

- rework the tps look up table with TunerPro and store the new *.bin file

- write the new *.bin file to your ecu (for 15M the IAW15xWriter)

The columns... 0-1-2-3 … F and 0.0-1.0-2.0 … 0.0 ?

• Like 2

Hi Camn,

The columns... 0-1-2-3 … F and 0.0-1.0-2.0 … 0.0 ?

just cosmetics, but already corrected.

Cheers

Meinolf

• 3 months later...

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'm looking to order a TPS to have on hand as a spare for my 2003 V11 Le Mans, on just want to check one more time before ordering.  Looks like LowRyter confirmed that the PF3C he got from CA Cycleworks is working fine, and Meinoff confirmed that it should be good by looking at the graph provided.  This seems like a pretty solid endorsement, but does anyone have any additional information?

Cheers,
Shaun