Cheaper source for TPS

slowkitty

8 hours ago, rich888 said:

Re hall effect TPS. You'd have to be really really sure it was impervious to stray magnetic effects. Imagine if it read full scale suddenly...

Not a lot would happen, it might effect the mixture a tiny bit, it doesn't change the amount of air.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwi_Roy said:

Not a lot would happen, it might effect the mixture a tiny bit, it doesn't change the amount of air.

Yes, your right, just leaning out or richening.

Looks like we've mixed a couple topics: "Cheaper source for TPS" and "Alternatives for the potentiometer based TPS."

I have no way to separate these posts anymore, so let's all be aware there is more than one discussion going on in this thread.

It's kinda like being at a party where the conversations and music sorta blend . . . :bier::rasta::drink::grin:

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:25 AM, czakky said:

Looking forward to hear your thoughts...

Looks like the CaCycleWorks PF3C is a good source, at least in The States. Probably half the price of a Moto Guzzi Part. And it seems the Harley-D part is No Longer Applicable (?)

I'd like to say I can feel the difference between the PF3C and the PF4C, but that would be like trying out a new tire and declaring it "so much better" than the old tires.  For me, that is likely only because the old tires were clapped out and any new tires would be a fabulous improvement.

So, the stability of transitioning from closed throttle, as in coming out of a corner or maneuvering at parking, is resolved. The >hoogedie< jerking and jumping at slight throttle openings is also gone. My 49,000 mile TPS had just aged out, that's all. From my notes, it seems these potentiometer-based TPS might expire at 50-60,000 miles (80-100.000 km). :luigi:

I'll be checking mine at every tune-up now. So easy once the DVOM is hooked up, especially with a breakout harness. Again, I have never been able to see the glitches with millivolts, but Ohms give it away. :nerd:

• Like 1

I don't " think " you will see a glitch … Well , we used to test TPS sensors on vehicles and used the voltage scale to find faults with them .

Both my failed TPS exhibited jumping (up and down) in the resistance (2000 Ohm range) with my Triplett DVOM. It was not apparent on the millivolt scale. This is testing the resistance through the TPS (potentiometer) slowly opening and closing it while reading the resistance. Normally, the TPS reads over one Ohm and scales through the tenths and hundredths, as I recall. My bad TPS would jump up and down at several points and even went "open" at a certain angle of opening. The Sport was getting hard to ride. :o

• Like 1

Best way to find drop outs is with a digital scope. Needn't be expensive. Hantek 20mhz scope to put on a laptop is £60 here in UK. There are even cheaper scope kits.

You'll see a nice plot of the TPS voltage and the knee point.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, luhbo said:

1 hour ago, antmanbee said:

I'd take 4 or 5 if someone is going to order.

That is the same TPS I got from CA Cycle Works shipped for $~92US.

Anyone want to submit a price request to Alibaba?

I would take a couple too. I'm guessing if we did the minimum order of 50, they'd be $5 each, plus whatever extra the shipping is. Which I'm guessing would be not much, the Chinese govt. subsidizes their shipping costs. 

3 minutes ago, sp838 said:

I would take a couple too. I'm guessing if we did the minimum order of 50, they'd be $5 each, plus whatever extra the shipping is. Which I'm guessing would be not much, the Chinese govt. subsidizes their shipping costs. 

I know it "says" $1.00-$5.00, but there is a current price request to be entered . . . someone ought to do that to get their current actual pricing.

11 hours ago, docc said:

Anyone want to submit a price request to Alibaba?

I asked the question of Alibaba; price for 50, plus price to ship to NZ. I will report back.

• Like 1

These parts are that cheap. Once they were "proudly made in USA" by CTS, a competitor of where I go daily. I think some years ago I already did post a link to their site. They sold it as a product meant for "leisure articles" like lawn mowers and the like. 80.000 miles on a big V-Twin definitely is beyond its designed life time.

• Like 1