Cheaper source for TPS

slowkitty

44 minutes ago, docc said:

The caps look identical to that I got from CaCycleWorks. Do you think they test every one? I find that so unlikely, but I am rather cynical along those lines.

It is looking like, even with shipping halfway 'round the world twice, the cost would be about 1/3 what I paid. Yet, for whomever might take this on, a significant beercharge should be added to each unit . . . :bier:

Assuming the failure rate is acceptable the cost could be significant.

Yep. My experience is that my Sport needed a new TPS every 50-60,000 miles/ 80-100.000 km, so lots of you might be coming into that range.  Be checking the sweep of resistance when you do your routine tune-up. When it starts jumping around, time for a new one. :luigi:

When the TPS starts acting up,,,, it will not completely die ?? you will make it home, not elegant of course  ??    Have 4 at the moment, but like spares.   Im in for 2 if it helps.   :huh2:   Might be the same as cycle works,, all checked, probably not.

Cheers tom.

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

When the TPS starts acting up,,,, it will not completely die ?? you will make it home, not elegant of course  ??    Have 4 at the moment, but like spares.   Im in for 2 if it helps.   :huh2:   Might be the same as cycle works,, all checked, probably not.

Cheers tom.

Neither of mine "died." Just introduced "hiccups and burps" as well as difficulty getting an accurate state of tune. I've never heard of a TPS stranding anyone, just makes the bike difficult and annoying to ride especially in parking lots, pulling away from stops and exiting corners. You know: those times when you really need the bike to accelerate smoothly and predictably . . . :blink:

Thanks,,, good to know.

cheers tom.

7 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Thanks,,, good to know.

cheers tom.

That said, I've only had the CaCycleWorks TPS in a few hundred miles. Not sure what happens if one of these Chinese TPS plays up.  I took my flinky old one on a recent trip, just in case.

Is it possible a badly manufactured TPS could cause a strand?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

That said, I've only had the CaCycleWorks TPS in a few hundred miles. Not sure what happens if one of these Chinese TPS plays up.  I took my flinky old one on a recent trip, just in case.

Is it possible a badly manufactured TPS could cause a strand?

Sure it could. :huh2: I would not at all be surprised if they are not from the same manufacturer, though. For instance, I have a 9X20 harbor freight lathe. They were closing them out, and I couldn't pass it up for the price. (less than $500 with stand) Since then, I have learned that "EVERY" 9X20 lathe is made in the same place. They paint them different colors so the seller knows how much to charge for them. Seriously. $600-$2200.. same same. It could very well be that this TPS is the same scenario.

The image  of the Alibaba TPS looks identical to the cacycleworks TPS, down to the logo and what appears to be the same writing "cacycleworks.com" . . .

Perhaps, when they arrive, they will not have that logo or wording on them.

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Sure it could. :huh2: I would not at all be surprised if they are not from the same manufacturer, though. For instance, I have a 9X20 harbor freight lathe. They were closing them out, and I couldn't pass it up for the price. (less than $500 with stand) Since then, I have learned that "EVERY" 9X20 lathe is made in the same place. They paint them different colors so the seller knows how much to charge for them. Seriously. $600-$2200.. same same. It could very well be that this TPS is the same scenario.

I agree, I just purchased 2 Chinese made right angle ignition sensors ( I bought 2 because they were cheap, I mean $10US each and it made no difference to the postage)

During my research I found many,many options from many different European business sources that were in a range of 15 to 30 US dollars. Now considering that the cheapest OEM genuine one I could find was around 125 US dollars then these cheaper (visually identical to mine) versions were obviously Chinese made as well. My conclusion is 2 part.

1... The cheap 20-30 US dollar versions sold by European outlets are in fact the same as mine and probably from the same manufacturer with a profit margin applied.

2... There was such a proliferation of them available from reputable outlets that its unlikely they were terrible quality. I mean what reputable company would want the risk to reputation and the hassle of selling a relatively small amount of sensors in the grand scheme of things for a profit of 5 to 10 dollars a piece if they are going to leave customers stranded on the side of the road all over Europe.  

I guess time will tell if my logic holds up.

Ciao

I bought a spare CCW TPS from  Exact Start Ltd  UK July 18. 73.95 £.  Is the deal tru EBay,, all bad TPS sses, may be money back ?   Big question, who is willing to spend 500$, may be there's nothing inside. :rasta:.  Me and the spares,   I willing to go in with 100$...  When measuring 157mv,   big difference mv from full trottle, just let the spring do the job,    I mean when you ride the throttle body's don't close that hard ??     I quess slammed closed is correct ??     16c today and one tank of fuel  :mg:

Friday and time for IPA

cheers tom  

• 2 months later...

Bringing this back to the front again....

Was it determined that a HE sensor would or would not work? That seems like a much better alternative.

in the mean time, I will be down at the local H-D

dealer to see about a TPS.

Seems we learned the H-D PF4C no longer has the adjustable slots we need? Yet, a good parts guy at the Harley dealer should be able to come up with the earlier, adjustable unit used on the Buells if they still stock those parts. Not sure if those slotted TPS were used on other Harleys back  those days ?

(FWIW, the CaCycleWorks PF4C has been running 2000 miles now.)

• Like 1

Not sure if those slotted TPS were used on other Harleys back  those days ?

I'm pretty sure they were. I got one from the Harley dealer ($42) when the one on my Jackal started acting up. Looked it up in my records, August of 03, so I think it was a common part.