Rear Brake Retaining Pin Upgrade - 2002 and earlier

Scud

The rear brake caliper and carrier can spin around the axle if the anchor-screw loosens and falls out. I've seen a few posts about this - and the unpleasant collateral damage it causes. Starting with 2003 models, Moto Guzzi supplied a different anchor-screw that goes all the way through the caliper carrier and uses a clip for extra security.

Here's how to do this easy, preventative upgrade.

What you need:

• Your favorite hammer
  • A center-punch. Ideally it should fit the unthreaded portion of the hole in the swingarm.
  • "Special Screw" MG part number 01638630
  • "Security Pin" MG part number 02466900
  • Drill. Make the hole a little bigger than the pin - it doesn't need to fit snugly.

While I happened to have everything on the bench, this could easily be done with the swingarm still on the bike.

Step 1 - get your stuff together

IMG_5379.jpg

Step 2 - mark the location for the hole

IMG_5378.jpg

Step 3 - Done

IMG_5380.jpg

• Like 5

Is there any way to inspect this situation to see if there is a potential problem ?

Also , have you thought of using a Rue Ring cotter pin in place of the hairpin clip ? Google them , they are the most righteous thing you will use !

Rue rings are cool - never saw those before. I just used the OEM clip (it was less than $1.00 and readily available).

As for the need for this, I think it's sort of a belts-and-braces approach. It seems that if you're confident that you will tighten the bolt correctly, then you don't need to do this. For me, a little extra security is just peace of mind and cheap insurance (aka belts and braces).

Rue rings are cool - never saw those before. I just used the OEM clip (it was less than $1.00 and readily available).

As for the need for this, I think it's sort of a belts-and-braces approach. It seems that if you're confident that you will tighten the bolt correctly, then you don't need to do this. For me, a little extra security is just peace of mind and cheap insurance (aka belts and braces).

Very nice job indeed. But really I think it is actually protection from Alzheimer's disease just in case we forget to tighten something lol. :) And yep we all get there lol.

Thanks guys. I searched and found a recent thread where somebody had this problem (and how I got the idea to do this little upgrade). It includes a picture midway through the thread of what can happen if the bolts goes AWOL.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19107

• 3 months later...

I just finished doing this to my bike.

Thanks Scud for the tip, and your help getting the improved pin.
Instead of a hole, I made a slot to allow the block & pin to slide a little in the  brake carrier slot.

Then I coated the block with moly dry lube. I don't know if it was necessary, but anyway...