Intermittent no start.

Cyborg

Did a bit of a search, but didn't find anything quite the same. The last while the 2001 Sport  has had an intermittent problem with the starter button. Push the button and nothing happens. It would start eventually by pushing the button a couple of times, but today that didn't work. I was just about to give up and then figured out if I move the bars back and forth while holding the button it will fire up. So... I know there is a broken wire or a lose connector/contact. Can't be that hard to find, but haven't looked yet. Feeling lazy today, so I though I would ask if anyone has come across a similar situation. Everything is fine otherwise (except the fuel warning light). Once it starts it's all good. Relays are new. Thanks

Check the clutch safety on the handlebars.  

Somehow the little "pin" in mine got wiggled around and it was the same issue.  It's accessible from under the cluster on the clutch lever side, you'll see the wires going into a micro-switch.  Just be careful not to loose any parts.  There is a spring and a pin that engage the safety or disengage depending on your thought process when the clutch lever is pulled.    It could be the micro-switch, but the way the did it puts very little wear on the switch itself.  I'd check the little device the lever used to trip the micro-switch.   Again... TINY spring and TINY pin.

To fix mine, when I finally couldn't get a start...  I just too off the switch (two screws), saw the issue with the pin....  re-set the pin back the way it should be and put switch back.  Done... less than 15 minutes total.

• Like 1

Mine is ok in that regard, the pump cycles every time, but thanks for posting. If you aren't getting the pump cycling, first thing I would try is the relay... keeping in mind I'm still a MG newbie.

This might help a little, follow the power from the fuse at the left to the right.

Earlier%20VIIs_zpswdd2nbgh.jpg

For the pump to run you have to get power all the way through the ignition switch, Sidestand Relay and Kill Switch.

Then it goes through the start button, then the clutch switch and and the two bullet connectors shown as -->--- on each side of the clutch

finally it reaches the start relay.

I show a little green light hooked into the petcock fuse, this will tell you if the power is at the ECU, if it's there the bike is ready to go.

Passator Cortese, Since the pump doesn't prime your problem is to the left of Relay 4, have you cleaned the ignition switch, takes about half hour.

The Neutral light will tell you if power is getting through the switch, Cyborg might be right about the relay R3 or R4 but my moneys on the switch.

The Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) used to lubricate it goes hard with age and holds the contacts apart.

• Like 2

Also likely culprits are the two bullet connectors residing under the fuel tank.

Take apart ,clean up,solved similar issue on mine.

This was a very common problem when they were new. They live up by the steering head on the left side. I use Caig DeOxit.. it's magic on electrical connectors.. and as mentioned above a light crimp on the female part, and you'll have no more problem.

• Like 1

i've had this a few times.  the connectors under the tank and also the switch itself seem to get cruddy and loose and lose contact.  for a while you can swing the bars back and forth and suddenly it works but one day that trick stops working.  the relay can be an issue as well, but as people have noted, the sign that's your problem is the absence of fuel pump sounds, and you'll probably have starter action, just no start. there's a screw right next to that relay that can bump it out of position.

• Like 1

Oh, forgot. When I was at the Ohio rally, I had everything tied on the Mighty Scura.. looked a little like the Grapes of Wrath..  ;) Punched the button, and nothing. Cranked, but no fire in the hole. Got that sinking feeling when you are hundreds of miles from home and it won't start. Took out my earplugs and realized the fuel pump wasn't running. Had to unload the bike and pull the seat off. First, I gave the relays a good wiggle, no joy. Then, I pulled the fuel pump fuse. Looked ok, but wiggled it around, too. Turned the key on, and Whirrr, pump was running. Yeah, baby!  :grin: Really, these bikes are pretty simple.. just a matter of corrosion, no doubt caused by sitting by the ocean for extended periods.