30 amp fuse failure

docc

What are the 3 bare terminals Docc? Your VII looks totally different under the seat than mine. HRN and the silver thingame?

Sent from my shoe phone!

The terminals are part of a junction block to get the terminal stack off the battery. I added one on the negative side as well. The only terminals I left on the battery are the main cable to the starter, the charging wire (subject of this thread), and the feed to the junction block.

"HRN" is the ATC fuse holder for the direct hot to the two separate relays for the FIAMM horns which ground back to the frame bracket that mounts the Fuel Pump. The "silver thingey" is a 10 amp auto-reset circuit breaker for the hot to the headlamps which are switched by a pair of separate relays in the headlamp bucket. They, too, ground back to the frame. (Photo shows the first attempt at relocating the Regulator Fuse).

IMG_3349.jpg

• Like 1

For what it's worth.. the FAA doesn't allow soldered terminals. :) The solder wicks up the wire and makes it brittle. It'll eventually break right at the terminal with vibration. :oldgit:  Just the same.. I don't blame you for doing that. I'd be upset, too..

Thanks, Chuck. Good to know. I didn't even add a terminal end in order to minimize the number of connections. Perhaps this latest approach will hold for a good long time.

Alternate Method E !

We have to get FAA approved now :grin:

Nice soldering.

I know what Chuck means, when I used to work on railway signals you weren't allowed to use any sort of a lug.

For what it's worth.. the FAA doesn't allow soldered terminals. :) The solder wicks up the wire and makes it brittle. It'll eventually break right at the terminal with vibration. :oldgit:  Just the same.. I don't blame you for doing that. I'd be upset, too..

Thanks, Chuck. Good to know. I didn't even add a terminal end in order to minimize the number of connections. Perhaps this latest approach will hold for a good long time.

Alternate Method E !

Which begs the question.. What gets used for wire connections in airplanes? Presumably the very best possible, most reliable connection? Can we use them here?

Alternate Method E !

Which begs the question.. What gets used for wire connections in airplanes? Presumably the very best possible, most reliable connection? Can we use them here?

Sure we can use them. It's just a crimped connection with an aircraft crimper.. and.. aircraft terminals. Let me dig through my pictures, and I'll be back. Maybe in the morning.. :)

• Like 1

A guy likes to think he's doing a good job, then he finds out he shouldn't be working on airplanes! :unsure:

gallery_328_223_653636.jpeg

Ya know.. Docc.. that looks nice. Good job. It'll be a while before it breaks. :rasta::oldgit::whistle: *Maybe* a long while.

Gentleman, I want to thank you all for all of your insight, education, and encouragement. Let's face it, what I'm posting isn't "rated" for anything.

*Entertainment Value Only* :oldgit:

*Don't Try This At Home* :o

The last time I thought I "fixed" this problem, it took like eight years to fail. So, let me get back to you in about 2025 with an update. :sun:

Seriously? Do not neglect your #3 / 30 amp,  "regulator" fuse. They are are known to overheat.

gallery_328_223_1207979.jpeg

• Like 3

Soooo . . . . turns out you don;t need a fire extinguisher if there is no power to back half of the fuse block. :(

Seems, from the wiring diagram, that power to fuses 4 and 5 must trunk off of the battery wire to Fuse 3 which I replaced with a dedicated, separate wire outside the loom. Looks like I need to fish that terminal out from where it's stowed and reconnect it. :blush:

Good thing I didn't clip it off at the loom . . . :rolleyes:

EDIT: Yes, that restored power to the Ignition Switch. And I still have 14.2 volts charging. :thumbsup:

What are the 3 bare terminals Docc? Your VII looks totally different under the seat than mine. HRN and the silver thingame?

I'm not sure I answered this very well.  The HRN (horn) fuse and silver (headlight) circuit breaker get dedicated hot feeds from the terminal block. It does not stay "bare," but has a cover. Also visible is the rubber guard over the corner of the ECU which covers its ground and is vulnerably close to the positive battery terminal.

gallery_328_223_384813.jpeg

gallery_328_223_297599.jpeg

The terminal block holds the hot feeds for the horns, headlights, GPS, SAE accessory plug, power to Fuses 4 & 5, and a clamping point (capped in red) for direct charging or voltage readings since the positive battery terminal itself is not very accessible.  Beyond the wiring, but still electrical: labels for the row of OMRON High Current relays, relocated signal flasher, detailed fuse function chart (inverted for roadside viewing), and [CarlAllison] wiring diagram in the tool tray.

• Like 4