Turn Signal Woes

LowRyter

This just happened this morning.

When I turn on the right signal: no indicator on dash, right front flashes, and both rears (LED) flash.

When I turn on the left signal: dash indicator works, left front does not work, left rear (LED) flashes

so far:

I switched the left and right front bulbs.  

cleaned and inspected fuses; cleaned relays; sprayed cleaner in the switch.

The rear turn signals are Badlands LED.  There is a box under the saddle to compensate for resistance.  I have a call into Badlands to determine if or what to replace as there is no part number on the box.

Any help and advice appreciated.  

Indicators can do odd things if you have a bad connection to ground on one indicator. It will then find a ground through another lamp in the circuit. I'd be looking for one of the indicators negative connection loose, corroded or broken.

Marty, right on.  

Found that turn signals were separately wired and came apart at the connectors. I am not sure why, since only the rear are LEDs and this one was OEM.  

Anyway, one of the wires came loose at the connectors.  And of course both turn signal wires came loose before I got them reconnected and matched the four different colored wires.  Not a lot of room to crimp and tape them.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

It should be a 2-prong flasher relay. The bulbs are 10w each so any generic one that's spec'd for that wattage should work. 

Or if you get one of the ones for use with LEDs, it doesn't matter how many watts the bulbs are. But the advantage of the ones made to work with a certain wattage is that if a bulb goes out they will usually either not flash or flash really fast, so you know a bulb is out. The LED types won't do that.

• 3 weeks later...

Found it, thanks mucho !

Is there a generic replacement, or do I gotta call Harpers?

Yes,mine died a few years ago and got one at a local NAPA store....Couple bucks.Just bring yours in and they should have a replacement.