Electric Start

cash1000

Would you like to borrow my battery so you can narrow down the cause?

My bike has an oil leak from a valve cover, so will be off the road till I get another gasket and fit a helicoil for one screw. 

• Like 1

Put my battery in Marty's V11 and it started fine so battery is ok.

So I've taken starter off bike and will get it checked out by an auto electrician (I'm not willing to pull it to bits)

Does it mean anything that starter shaft rotates one and not other?

All of the connections, including the main gearcase ground, battery terminals, and the starter mounting bolts, have been cleaned and the best contact is being made at all points?

• 1 year later...

This is my first posting on this forum........ had been stuck on Trumpies for decades but a mate had told me about this "Ïtalian Stallion" experience ...  had always liked the look of the Guzzi V11 and eventually sold my soul and got the cash for one [bought off Gumtree in Oz] around 4 years ago..... frickin' gorgeous machines, these Guzzis!!!

A simple Q re my 2003 Ballabio which has recently been experiencing starter issues.

Which particular relay on the 5 relay post under the seat deals with the starter motor?

I get the impression it is the 5-pin #1 unit.....ie, closest to the front??????

Read somewhere that connecting a 14 gauge wire direct from #87 pin on the "starter relay" directly to the spade terminal  of the starter motor can strengthen the starter circuit.

Any pearls of wisdom on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Hi

At the Talley Rappit rally 2 weekends ago (New Zealands annual Moto Guzzi rally) I had a problem with my V11. It wouldn't start. With help I was able to push start it and it ran ok but still wouldn't start using the electric start. When you pushed the electric start button all you got was a click from the starter motor area. I also noticed when I started it that morning that the oil and ignition lights weren't working so may be ignition switch? But I cleaned that 4 months ago and I don't ride in dusty conditions. With help from others push starting the bike I was able to get home. Luckly I had a spare key on me so could fuel up without turning bike off. Last weekend I started to try and trace the problem. From Dangerous's post earlier this year I first checked the starter motor had wires connected which they were. With a fully charged battery (12.5V) result still no go (Its a motobat Battery about 4 years ago and sits on a trickle charger). Can you check the batteries condition with a battery hydrometer or are they sealed? I've cleaned earth strap on gearbox (it was clean). Relays are new about 2000ks ago. I swapped them around and tried old ones with no success. I connected a wire on relay 1 connecting 30 & 87 still only get a click. There is 12.5 volts on terminal 30. Measured voltage on starter motor while pushing start button. its about 5 volts. Is that correct? Talking to mechanic next to work who likes his bikes he thought it was starter motor brushes or solenoid. What do you guys think problem is? I'm not that great with electricial stuff so keep suggestions simple. Bike is a 2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello 42,00

A little history. 

Startus Interuptus (I don't know who came up with the name)- the inability to get it up  IN

That term was coined by Todd Haven (RIP) of MPH cycles. At that time, they sold a plug and play kit to plug into your Guzzi to cure the problem. 

Battery 13.1v. When trying to crank 6.0.

I still say, "She's dead, Jim."  :) I would at least try a known good battery.

The meter doesn't lie. If your battery drops below about 9.5 volts during cranking, the computer shuts down to save itself from overcurrent. (at least that's common to stuff I've worked on) 

Your starter quite possibly draws more amps than your load tester, if you have a small handheld. 

Your battery is 4 years old. They don't make 'em like they used to, either. Get a new one. If that's not the problem, you needed a new battery soon anyway.

• Like 1

This is my first posting on this forum........ had been stuck on Trumpies for decades but a mate had told me about this "Ïtalian Stallion" experience ...  had always liked the look of the Guzzi V11 and eventually sold my soul and got the cash for one [bought off Gumtree in Oz] around 4 years ago..... frickin' gorgeous machines, these Guzzis!!!

A simple Q re my 2003 Ballabio which has recently been experiencing starter issues.

Which particular relay on the 5 relay post under the seat deals with the starter motor?

I get the impression it is the 5-pin #1 unit.....ie, closest to the front??????

Read somewhere that connecting a 14 gauge wire direct from #87 pin on the "starter relay" directly to the spade terminal  of the starter motor can strengthen the starter circuit.

Any pearls of wisdom on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Simple answer: yes, Relay#1(front) is the Start Relay.

Consider sourcing High Current 5-pin relays for all positions: "Best Relays for the V11"

Otherwise, there are other possible issues:

>When you thumb the starter button and there is *nothing* at all, try holding the button down and rotating the handle bars lock-to-lock. If she suddenly cranks, it is the "Bullet Connectors" for the clutch lock-out switch located along the left side of the frame under the tank. See the "Tank Off maintenance Checklist" for details (>"bullet" #1).

>If your jump-wire the starter and it doesn't function right, it could be detached magnets inside the Valeo starter itself.

>Battery condition could be an issue. Do you have a good voltmeter?

Welcome to the best place in the universe to sort a V11 Guzzi! :mg::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sorry I got all messed up with Tapatalk this morning on the train.

There are many different problems with the starter, most of them easily fixed

Does it always fail or just intermittently?

Do you hear anything like a quiet click from the relay? -  "Startus Interuptus"

A loud clack from the solenoid but no turning? -  possibly bad battery or battery connections or ground connection or loose magnets?

Nothing at all? - Probably the bullet connectors as Docc mentioned

Around 2003 they changed the solenoid wiring to feed the Start Relay pin 30 through the ignition switch (before that pin 30 was fed from a fuse direct from the battery), this is the main cause of "Startus Interuptus" for all the later model Guzzis right up to the present day. The starter solenoid draws 40 - 50 Amps while it is engaging the gear or at least it would like to, if there is too much resistance in the switch it will not engage, all you hear is the relay clicking and perhaps a bit of a grunt from the solenoid, you will read about the "Startus Interuptus Fix" which is basically wiring it back to direct from the battery.

It's very easy to clean the switch, it's held onto the key with 2 Phillips screws from underneath, for safety disconnect the battery negative lead, remove the Phillips screws and switch, remove the back, release the odd clip and tilt out the white switch plate, wipe off all the old grease and replace it with Vaseline. When you reattach the back fix the wires so they don't bend where they are soldered to the white plate or they will snap off.

I haven't experienced loose magnets but I think that would cause it to always fail

A bad battery or connections would show up at the tail light, it should stay nice and bright when you press start, it will dim a little say to about 80%