Champagne wishes...

Scud

The latest addition to Scud's Home for Wayward Motorcycles arrived Friday. I am 100% pleased with Haul Bikes. The color coordination between their truck and my little (F250) bike hauler was uncanny. As others have noted, the driving team are also riders and had their own motorcycle on the truck. Imagine driving around the country, and being able to ask every motorcyclist you meet where the best roads are - and always having your bike on-board. They seem to be enjoying their work.

IMG_5469.jpg

And here's what showed up: a 2002 Champagne LeMans - loaded to the gills with spare parts and engine internals (for example, the crankshaft was in the RH Tekno pannier). Another member needed to move out of the country for work - and the timing caught him mid-project.

IMG_5471.jpg

Why would I do such a thing? Well, that question has already been asked here at home...  :whistle:

It seems that everything except the engine is in good order on the motorcycle (which has 50,000 miles) and it so happens that I have a complete, working engine on a shelf (with 12,000 miles from my "parts-bike"). It just seemed like a match made in heaven...

IMG_5477.jpg

...and here she is, ready for the new motor.  Back to "why would I do such a thing?" That Ohlins shock is going to find a new home on my Red LeMans. :food:  And I gain some nice luggage options... and a Moto Guzzi shop stand... and doesn't it just look like fun?

My intent is to return this bike to stock, keep a bunch of special bits (like the Joe Kenny Headguards), sell some aftermarket parts, and then sell the whole motorcycle. Although one of my daughters said: "Why would you sell that one? it's so pretty."   :grin:

• Like 3

Other than being totally dismantled?

As I understand it, the PO experienced an engine failure (I forget the exact details - but I think it was a milder version of what Craig recently experienced - a bearing failure, metal in the oil, etc.). He was getting ready for reassembly and already had the crankshaft checked/approved. Getting this engine back together would be a bit of puzzle as I now have several bags of bolts.

I think mostly what was wrong with this motorcycle is that life (a work opportunity) got in the way of the finishing the project. Everything else on the bike appears well maintained, all the extra bits were expertly installed, In fact, some of the extras are brand new (including the tires) - as though the bike was in the midst of a "mid-life refresh."  But many parts shows that it's been used for 50,000 miles - and it was down on the left.

As the "second project owner" I have different stuff in my garage, therefore, it's not so much "What's wrong with this engine?" -  but "Why not use the complete extra engine that I already have?"

• Like 1

What was that I said in the other thread about someone cornering the market on used V-11's?  Nice catch Tim, I followed the previous owners thread over on Wild Guzzi.  It was obvious by his threads that he really enjoyed that bike and it was a difficult decision to sell, only motivated by his job opportunity.  Has California given notice that you will soon be required to obtain a dealers license? ;-)

Jerry

• Like 1

Haha - no museum. She's only here for rehab - then she will need a new owner. Of course, I'll have to show her a few mountains and scrub the new newness off those tires first...

Ironically (and to further support the accuracy of the claim made in the video above) I found another K75s on Craigslist for $500 a couple weeks ago (you can see her black front fender in one of my pics above). It had a leaky Ohlins shock and the PO couldn't get it started. After a nice ride in my "mini Haul-Bikes truck" and about an hour labor, she's running nicely and the shock is out for rebuild and subsequent migration to my blue "keeper" brick. Yellow springs for everybody  :drink:

I will be selling 2 bikes soon. Then my Play-Pal account will be full again. My wife says she might be willing to learn to ride if we had a Triumph... a "cute" one... like a Bonneville.

Jerry, I know your question was in jest - but FWIW, I think California requires a dealer license if a person has more than 6 vehicles for sale at the same time. And yes, the PO seems like a great guy and he did care for the bike. He was very helpful by loosely re-assembling it back into a "roller" so Haul-Bikes could pick it up. He even sent me his garage sign (Moto Guzzi Parking Only - all others will be crushed into vino"  I hung it up immediately. The BMWs seem nervous...

My wife says she might be willing to learn to ride if we had a Triumph... a "cute" one... like a Bonneville.

Isn't that what V7s (and V9s) are for? :mg:

• Like 1

My wife says she might be willing to learn to ride if we had a Triumph... a "cute" one... like a Bonneville.

Isn't that what V7s (and V9s) are for? :mg:

Well, it seems that way to me, but it does not seem that way to her. I cannot even interest her in the littlest Indian. The heart wants what it wants - and so long as it still wants me, who am I to argue with her heart's desires?

• Like 1

As I understand it, the PO experienced an engine failure (I forget the exact details - but I think it was a milder version of what Craig recently experienced - a bearing failure, metal in the oil, etc.). 

Joe brought it down to me to help disassemble. It had a broken valve spring that crunched a valve guide.

We went ahead and tore it down because.. well.. we needed to find out the extent of the damage. I told him if it was me, I'd just fix the head and put it back together. These things are tough.  :grin:

Joe's a good boy. You don't see many gear head kids any more..  :oldgit: Saw him and LIndsay the Hobbit yesterday at Guzzi lunch, and said our good byes.  :(

Champagne dreams and caviar wishes...another fun project there indeed!!  Timing sounds perfect...an engine waiting for a moto and vice versa.  

Before you sell it, please take a pic at either the glider port overlooking Torrey Pines or at the UCSD Geisel (Central) library!  

You're having fun we can tell!

Champagne dreams and caviar wishes...another fun project there indeed!!  Timing sounds perfect...an engine waiting for a moto and vice versa.  

Before you sell it, please take a pic at either the glider port overlooking Torrey Pines or at the UCSD Geisel (Central) library!  

You're having fun we can tell!

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the reference to the old "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" TV show.

And now I have a geotagging mission?   :grin:

Only if you're in the neighborhood...you know...don't go out of your way to do it!  But it would make a good post for Bike of the month for the new banner at WG if I can get Dusty and Luap to agree!!

Sir Robin (son) Leach at your service!

I'll be happy to see it running again Tim! Thank you for being so easy to work with selling the bike, you truly made my life much easier as Lindsey and I plan our move to Germany.

Maybe I'll get a Guzzi again in Germany some day? :)

Thanks for the kind words Chuck, it was sad to say goodbye to you, Dorcia and the rest.

Guzzi people are the best part of finding the brand in my experience. I may not own one now, but I've made friends for life.

Glad you enjoyed the sign Tim. :) There are some Guzzi shirts and things in there too.

-Joe

• Like 3