Understanding fuel

docc

Available fuels vary significantly across the globe. No question, the V11 runs better on higher octane (measures vary geographically). And the V11 Acerbis hydroscopic Nylon (*plastic*) tank will be ever sensitive to the *binary azeotropes* associated with ethanol combined with gasoline.

While gasoline fuels in the USA are typically combined with "up to 10%" ethanol, what is the status of fuels in the rest of the world?

I ask because we share various tuning parameters and procedures, yet I have found that running "pure" (zero ethanol) fuels perform exceptionally well in my V11. I would number zero-ethanol fuel as one of the three major factors that contribute to my V11's best performance.

Recently, I was asked if Europe has the same ethanol fuel composition we do in The States. :huh2:  So, please, would you mind posting the status of fuel composition where you live?

The ethanol ( advertised ) % of content varies from vendor to vendor and from area to area in the US . Fuel can be diluted any % the fuel distributor want to get by with......

I use alcohol free fuel in all the air cooled engines I own,

I was talking with a guy in Texas who said they cannot get zero ethanol fuels, which surprised me since there are oil wells and refineries there.

What about Europe, Australia, New Zealand? Canada?

Here in Maryland, and pretty much all across the mid-atlantic, we have been getting fuels with 10% ethanol for something like 20 years. Other than race fuel you can't buy non-ethanol gas at gas stations around here. I don't remember what non-ethanol fuel is like. But other than the plastic fuel tank swelling and an occasional vendor using products like rubber hose instead of proper fuel line I can't say I have really had much issue with it. When it was first hitting the market around here, before it was universal, it was actually sought out as a remedy when you had water in your fuel as it allowed the water and gasoline to mix and go through the system without causing issues..... Ironic.

Here in Australia we still have a wide choice of Ethanol and non Ethanol fuels in the major populated areas. So std unleaded 91 octane RON (US 87 Octane AKI) is now generally a 10-15% Ethanol mix but we also have 95 and 98 RON ( US 91-93/94) which is Ethanol free. I run all the bikes and the Ford Kuga we have which is a 2 liter turbo on the 98 and the old Mazda Astina I have on 95 in the summer because it detonates in the hot weather and 91 in the winter. 

Ciao 

Cannot say what the rest of Canada has, but here in British Columbia any Chevron station (94 Octane) or Shell station (91 Octane)  are ethanol free.  There are some other stations that have it such as Costco, Co-op,  but there are fewer of those around.

Pure-Gas.org lists only 19 stations in the entire Republic of California with ethanol-free gas. For all practical purposes, ethanol free is not an option here.

I had forgotten about the problem of getting water in carburetor float bowls. Ethanol in the gas has at least made that worry go away. I've still got one carburetor... on the dirt bike.

ethanol... what is this you speak of?

now as far as I know we dont have it in our fuels but I could be wrong, what does ethanol do?

NZ has 91, 95 or 96 depending on servo brands at BP only you can get 98 which I believe is imported from aussie were the other fuels are made here in NZ.

100oct is availble for race use only it having lead in it were as all others dont.

Octane ratings are hard to compare between countries.

Research Octane Number (RON), Motor Octane Number (MON), and Anti Knock Index (AKI) are different measures of octane ratings.

Australia, New Zealand, & parts of Europe use RON.

Canada, USA, & parts of South America use AKI, which is an average of RON and MON. You may see (R+M)/2) on the pump. AKI is 4 - 6 units lower than RON for the same fuel.

We can buy fuel with alcohol from a few Gull outlets in NZ. A brewer here has an ad campaign "drink more beer and save the world" as they sell Brewtroleum at Gull outlets.

I'm doing my bit to save the planet. Who's with me?

:drink:

https://youtu.be/gfxGpGmpDPs

https://youtu.be/QuRT8lkSZno

• Like 2

Since I've had the Guzzi, I use Bell Ethanol Defense religiously, and have had zero issues with tank swelling or paint flaking, even with the crap gas we have here in CA. It even helps with the sugary crud build-up in the throttles.

Tip: get the little squeeze dispenser that is available, makes it much easier to measure it out.

Since I've had the Guzzi, I use Bell Ethanol Defense religiously, and have had zero issues with tank swelling or paint flaking, even with the crap gas we have here in CA. It even helps with the sugary crud build-up in the throttles.

Tip: get the little squeeze dispenser that is available, makes it much easier to measure it out.

https://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/ethanol-defense

Interesting product. I'm wary of additives, but will investigate it further. Thanks for the tip!

It seems that where you buy your fuel (brand) decides whether or not you have issues. I have used ethanol since its introduction here in Canada. Mohawk and Husky both offer ethanol assisted fuels.  I  have had no trouble with the stuff for 9 yrs usage in the Guzzi. I still run it in the HD products (now there is an easily manipulated audience). No issue. Now is it because this cooperative adds the right stuff or is it related to how long your scooter sits idle?

To me, if I cannot fill my tank with the watery rust coloured shite coming out of the available spigot wherever I may be, because my machinery is too fickle or my temperament can't deal with it then its time to adjust.

I worked a tanker filling coastal fuel stations on this coast back in the 70s. Delivery was to 3 different brands-all major. Same barge, same line. 2 of those companies are still with us today, you may buy your fuel from them. You stop riding for more than 100 days, drain your tank and system.

Understanding Fuel is a great topic, thank you docc

• 1 month later...