Understanding fuel

docc

Interesting article on Shell Nitro+ . . . I'll have to check around locally to see if it's available?

https://news.classiccars.com/shell-develops-new-premium-fuel-engines-old-cars/

Right, so . . . zero ethanol fuel in these parts is still available, but the octane (AKI index) rating dropped to 90 AKI (94 RON?). Also, I think these more expensive non-ethanol fuels may often sit for a time in the local station's tanks making them less than consistent.

Of late, I've been running this Shell premium (AKI 93/RON 97?) V-Power Nitro+ . . . (I realize the formulations vary by continent, country, region of country, and even season, as well as over time).  I will say my 103,000+ mile 2000 Sport *likes* this fuel.  How so? Well, this is obviously a "user observation", but it pings less, *burps* and hiccups less, and  *feels like* it makes a good, smooth power build-up on the throttle.

Last week, I had to substitute BP 93AKI premium (with "up to" 10% ethanol) and all the bad things came back. The difference was immediately apparent.

I still wonder about European fuel. No one has responded form there. I specifically hoped to hear from Meinolf as his well-designed maps are interfacing with whatever fuel is available to him in Germany.

So, for now, and from here: :thumbsup: on the Shell Nitro+ (all caveats about the Nylon tank and the effects of *binary azeotropes* remain :o )

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I had a couple of kick start dirt bikes, a four stroke and a two stroke (still have the two stroke), and some friends had the same. I found that if I ran Shell premium mine would start right away after sitting the typical week or two, where as my friend was running BP / Amoco and his was hard to start. I convinced him to try the Shell premium and his also would start easily after sitting a couple weeks.

There can definitely be differences between fuel brands. While the base stock may be fungible, the additives package is what makes the fuel different.

I used to use "Super Shell" back on the leaded days when good premium was pink (but not so lon g ago that it was called "ethyl" :oldgit: ).

I stopped using Shell fuels when my BMW ///M roadtser's fuel level gauge would malfunction on it (repeatedly).  This new "Nitro+" product has impressed me in the Sport. (Haven't tried it back in the roadster . . . )

• 3 months later...

Found this on the UK Automobile Association website, dated 21 May 2017.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/biofuels

Basically UK uses 'Up to 5%' ethanol (E5), being phased in is E10 with 10%.

Interestingly ethanol fuel has less energy per volume so fuel consumption may be worse!

I know here in Canada almost all fuels are 10% ethanol blends with exception of a few. The percentage is supposed to be indicated on the pump but that isnt always the case.

Ethanol is power robbing and average milage suffers, my 02 v70xc will do @600km on reg fuels combined average while @ 700-800 on 94 premium. But the cost of doing so for me is prohibative, $150/ltr.

My guzzi runs as smooth as silk on 94 so thats what I use in her, my other bikes, vintage kawi thriples get it as well, they dont like ethanol low octane fuels, hard to start, bang and knock, run hotter and just plain wont produce any power.

I know this may sound consperacy-esq, but all ethanol has done is increaded fuel sales, less milage more sales. All the average consummers hear is that its good for the enviroment, I see little evidence of that and some reports to the opposite.

In Canada more sales equates to higher tax revenue for big brother and thats how re roll up here.

I do my best to buy alchohol free gasoline for all my air cooled units . Since regular fuel has the lifespan of grocery store milk , I can't afford the damage of something setting through the winter and not running properly or running at all . 

There are websites you can search to find alchohol free gasoline near you .

Germany the same as England: Up to 5% (E5), or a little bit cheaper (lower taxation) E10 with up to 10%.

Most avoid E10, usually because of paranoia, some by political/ethical reasons. I tried E10 and I think the bike liked it, but maybe it was just the right Guzzi day. On the other hand Shell V-Power (100Roz, maybe 0% Ethanol) performed worse than plain E5, at least I felt so.

I'm quite sure that having the valves to spec and the throttles balanced makes a much bigger difference to how the bike behaves.

https://www.motor-talk.de/videos/shell-m-2000-werbung-1988-v1116649.html

• Like 1

I usually go for Aral's 102 octane or 98 octane "super" when not available, hoping to reduce pinging. Not sure it actually helps.

There was a big debate about which motors can digest E10 back when it was introduced, every manufacturer published a list. As I can recall, Guzzi made no statements. For my 1981 Honda it was stated that I should not use E10. So I don't use it in my bikes. Although, I am not really sure what makes Aral's 102 octane fuel a 102 octane fuel.

I cheerfully use E10 in my cars. Not religious about it. Not religious about anything actually.

• Like 1