Zinc chromate

docc

Yeah, that's always a shame isn't it..... put all the effort into making something look good, then in such a short time it gets beaten up, even if you know that is going to be its fate.

I think one thing that would make a big difference in protecting the finish on the alternator cover is a front fender extender if not already fitted?

Powder coating may also be a bit more durable possibly.

And then there is polishing it.

• Like 1

This is my fourth refinish. I had a lot of fun with the zinc chromate thing; learned a lot from all the discussion here! :thumbsup:

I looked at carbon fiber covers, but couldn't make a decision. After running this one over the wire wheel on the bench grinder, I found a lot of the zinc chromate holding fast. Desiring to put the lower "tongue" extension back to silver (before the road does!), and still wanting the homage to Carcano and the green primer race bikes, I decided to sand it with 600 grit and clear coat it.

Patina, preserved! :grin:

IMG_7542.jpg

• Like 1

love it

Thanks, man! Once all that paint did not come off under the wire wheel, I thought, "This should be preserved."

Looking like a camo pattern from an Aermacchi  prop plane . . . 

SF260TP_turboprop_basic_trainer_aircraft

Then I started looking at the valve covers and shaking the rattle can. :blink:

That's when the barkeep cut me off . . . :huh:

I mean, it's not like anyone ever notices this aspect. I had to put the bike on the lift and get down on the floor to get this view. Pretty sure this is my best attempt to "re-finish" the alt cover. I just could not paint over that reveal. I mean, that's what 110,000 miles/ 177.000 km looks like!

IMG_7545.jpg

Perhaps, a bit of poetic/industrial-arts/license? B)

• Like 3

Truly. I figure if it gets peckered up in this configuration, no one can tell! :whistle:

In a couple years, I can say, "Next year it'll be twenty years old!"

At least this part will look it! :oldgit: