Zinc chromate

docc

Sorry... long day. Up at 5AM in Detroit (2AM my time)... flew to San Diego via Chicago... haven't been on a motorcycle for a whole week (unless you count splitting lanes all the way home from the airport on a K75).  :closedeyes: Is this the bored face?

Of course, you actually refer to your V11 as a red-frame model. So that's part of the identity of your bike. You're not looking to change it's identity, just add a touch of color out of respect.

Who is this "someone" to whom you refer?

Back to the green alternator cover. I like that idea - and it's easily reversible if you're not happy with it.

Who is this "someone" to whom you refer?

Oh .  .  .  you know . . . . "someone" with an extra spine frame lying about . . . . with a local powder coater . . . :whistle:

Heh - I tried to mock up a photo of a black V11 Sport with that green frame. That would be so cool! :mg:

and a little more meddling with your motorcycle...

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 6.36.38 AM.jpg

loosely inspired by your earlier idea about a green stripe, plus the way the orange accent is on the flyscreen of the first LeMans. IMO, the classic logo would look nice if it could fit completely within the classic color accent (no break in the stripe).

I bit the bullet and ordered the true zinc chromate from Chuck's aircraft supplier. $30US can of spray paint! :o  Reminds me of what a bargain the LuckyPhil/Chuck-Made shift extenders are! :thumbsup:

I also replenished my handy cans of Alumi-Blast and Diamond Satin Clear from Eastwood (another thirty bucks).

Pretty excited about restoring my alternator cover (a mark of true affliction, I know :P ), but not sure I have the courage to actually paint stripes on my bodywork.  I read that the original Gambalungha was silver with unique blue markings.

So, now I'm just conflicted and confused . . . :rolleyes:

Just back from the auto parts store where I do a lot of business. Sometimes, it's good to cheer folks up . . .

"What d'ya need today, docc?" :nerd:

"I'm here to pick up a stripper. . ."  B) 

(We got to the "aircraft" part when the howling settled down.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah, they had no remorse charging me fifteen bucks.

"Cheapest stripper in town!" :grin:

"A little goes a long way!"  :whistle:

"Watch yer eyes!" :o

All this for a tiny homage to Ing. Guilio Carcano that we'll have to get down on one knee to even see. Even then, most everyone will ask why it's still  in primer . . .

At least if they ask if I've used a good stripper, we can have us a time.  :rolleyes:

Wear gloves and a long-sleeve shirt. That stuff burns (ask me how I know). I have a box of 7mm nitrate gloves - and I went through several.

While you're at it, maybe you should paint the little brackets behind your flyscreen... that's a small part that you could enjoy while you're on the bike.

800px-Alfred_T._Palmer_-_Assembling_the_

So, these B-25 Mitchells in zinc chromate primer look yellow because yellow pigment was added to the paint?

And, hey, Chuck, if you have a photo of that solo seat on the Centauro, I'd like to add it to the "Custom Seat" thread . . .

I dont believe this finish is Zink Chromate docc, it looks more like the Alodine and 814 treatment to me. I used to carry out this process on Skyhawk drop tanks and other stuff. Rub the part down with acidic 814 and apply the Alodine and rinse off with water. Gives alclad that translucent green hue.

The Zink Chromate primer I have experience with in the Aviation industry and on Ducati Magnesium parts from the 80's etc is a flat olive green colour. We had to stop using it at work years ago as its a carcinogenic.  

Ciao

• Like 1

So why were these old dustbin faired bikes covered in (theoretically) zinc chromate?

It's what they had on hand?

Or, are these old dustbin fairings steel? Which raises other questions like, why? That stufffs heavy?

I always heard it was surplus Italian military aircraft primer and Ing. Carcano didn't want the *extra* weight of a top coat. Weren't the fairings aluminum? They would still require some protection form corrosion, yes?

So why were these old dustbin faired bikes covered in (theoretically) zinc chromate?

It's what they had on hand?

Or, are these old dustbin fairings steel? Which raises other questions like, why? That stufffs heavy?

To save weight. Carcano was anal about weight so he didnt allow the top coat just the primer to stop corrosion. This was in the days of skin tight paper mache leathers and bikes with 50 HP. This type of weight saving has always seemed mad to me along with drilling holes in aluminium exhaust brackets etc. When you can loose 1/2 a kilo with a decent Sh*t is it really worth the effort?

Always makes me laugh when I see the bike weight reduction Nazzi that is 20kg overweight.

Ciao 

• Like 1