Aircraft/ piloting analogies

What with the early origins of Moto Guzzi arising from allegiances made in the Italian Air Corps of WWI, and the Moto Guzzi eagle taken from those origins (in honor of Guzzi and Parodi's fallen comrade, Ravelli), it is no wonder that Moto Guzzi seem "aircraft-like."

"Piloting" my sport is as close as I am likely to get to *flying* . . .  B)  [Never mind those dubious soldered connectors!]

Today, riding the long way to work, I felt so connected to the ride, to the Sport, it occurred to me that I have some serious "hours logged" piloting this machine.  I've known some aircraft pilots and remember them speaking of certain significant break points in hours piloting a particular aircraft.

My rough math (remember, both Dr. Venkman and I are "bad scientists"): about 100,000 miles averaging about 40 mph = 2500 hours.

It's really good to feel ZGUKRAKR/YM-Sport rated! :mg:

• Like 2

I felt so connected to the ride, to the Sport, 

Oh, I'd definitely say you are Sport rated.  :grin:  Unless they are paid for flying, most pilots don't accumulate 4500 hours in their flying career. 

Here's the thing though.. I've flown and ridden bikes all my adult life. I have most of my hours in what are considered *very* sporty airplanes. I *love* the man/machine relationship of sport airplanes and motorcycles.

That said, Nothing I've ever flown does it for me like a bike. There are times that the machine disappears under you. I've never felt that exact same feeling in an airplane, even in the Pitts.  :oldgit:

• Like 6

Docc - maybe you need to get yourself a WWII-style Bomber Jacket. Have you been a good boy?  :xmas:

I've known a few pilots and been on some small-plane trips. Even though there were interesting parts, and I enjoy the arial view, there are long periods of boring, straight, flight (like riding the Interstate on a motorcycle). 

But there seems to be lot in common between the two activities - safety-first mindset, traveling light, planning your route (don't run out of fuel), pre-flight/ride inspection, leaning into turns, more consideration of the weather than other forms of travel, etc. Flying and motorcycling are both immersive experiences - requiring a total focus on the task and hyper-awareness of your surroundings.

• Like 3

One of my other expensive hobbies is sailing.  While learning how to sail it was explained to me that a sail works somewhat similar to an aircraft wing.  High pressure on one side, low pressure on the opposite side which creates "lift" and provides the forward momentum for the vessel.  Helped me understand why so many aircraft pilots were interested in sailing.  But I never met a pilot that could understand why I liked sky diving!

• Like 2

^^^^ You've just met another.  :grin:  The Kid used to do it when he was young and stupid.. :whistle:  and said I'd love it once the chute opened. I've always said trying to get me out of a perfectly good airplane would be like trying to poke a spider into a beer bottle..

• Like 2

I felt so connected to the ride, to the Sport, 

That said, Nothing I've ever flown does it for me like a bike. There are times that the machine disappears under you. I've never felt that exact same feeling in an airplane, even in the Pitts.  :oldgit:

Wow . . . that's not what I expected to hear at all! :)

But there seems to be lot in common between the two activities - safety-first mindset, traveling light, planning your route (don't run out of fuel), pre-flight/ride inspection, leaning into turns, more consideration of the weather than other forms of travel, etc. Flying and motorcycling are both immersive experiences - requiring a total focus on the task and hyper-awareness of your surroundings.

And this. Well said, Scud! :thumbsup:

There are likely some marine (boating) analogies in this as well . . .

I have done many things that I would not brag about. :) But I honestly feel that a Good Sport Motorcycle is as close as one can get to flying and still have a better chance of living through an oops lol.

And by the way I Love the Pitts. A Pitts can be snappy but yet smooth. But then again I also liked the Ole Steerman with the 450 HP Radial. :).

And while I am thinking about it.

• Like 4

Here's my two homebuilt "sporty" airplanes. The low wing was built by me, the Pitts by Ed the Rocket Scientist and me.

IMG_6171-2.jpg

I would say that flying is "safer" than riding a motorcycle. The pilot of an airplane is much more in control of his own destiny.. but.. inattention can getcha killed. Treetop flying? Not any more..  :whistle: but it'll get the adrenaline flowing all right. 

Any more, it's just "hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror."  :grin:

• Like 3

I don't know much about aero planes, but every time I ride the v11 I feel like I'm chasing down the Luftwaffe in a P51.

Yeah I'm still a twelve year old in 34 year old body.

So, I admit to coaching a certain Rossa Corsa rider to say (with a straight face :nerd: ) ,

"The [V11 Guzzi] has the power-to-weight ratio of a P-51 Mustang." :sun:

North American P-51 Mustang with Packard/Rolls Royce Merlin  -  1,450 horsepower / empty weight:  7,635 pounds    =    0.190   hp/lb

(The World's Greatest Aircraft, Christopher Chant, 1991, Crescent Books [Printed in Italy!])

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport (from the Owner's Manual)                -                91 horsepower /  empty weight:   482 pounds      =   0.189    hp/lb

• Like 3

Now that is rationalization !

That is, perhaps, one of the most charitable descriptions anyone has ever applied to some of my plausible bull$#!t . . . :grin:

But, there it is: the referenced statistical evidence. I think we should all be going around the world saying this. Try it sometime! (Then stand back and marvel at the *ripples* in the conversation!) :whistle:

• Like 1