New Rotors

czakky

Looking to replace my front rotors or discs if you like. I'm also going to replace my pads at the same time.

Current rotors are about a tenth past the stamped min. thickness (3.6mm?). The Chinese rotors are tempting but I have a hard time using them in such a critical area. Used Ducati with good wear left seem plentiful on eBay.

I have EBC metallic pads on currently and am pretty sure I'm going with sintered this time. I didn't really like the metallic pads.

Any recommendations? I'm a pretty hard braker and would hope to find something better than current. But I'm pretty sure I can't afford cast iron eyeball stretchers unfortunately.

A buddy of mine has the EBC rotors on his bike, along with their sintered pads and raves about them.  The replacement rotors are item VR614gld.  I think the pads are item FA244HH.  They come stock with a black center hub, but the gold is available as special order and looks good ala "brembo".  They look good.  The rotors are wave design, so they are different looking than the stock brembos, but are lighter.  

http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/AUG_2016_USA_Motorcycle_Catalogue/USA-MC-August.html#p=100

Andy

No need to go with cast iron. They just rust real easy.

I went with the new Brembo " T-Rotors". Pricey ...but...I to like to brake hard.

My only problem with used rotors ....how too be sure they are not bent....

doesn't take much runout to loose braking power.

andy

Brakes are a funny thing. I can't imagine they are a good place to skimp or cut corners. Buying used brake parts seems silly to me. I put that in the same bucket as buying used tires for my motorcycle. I know people do it, but I don't.

As to iron vs steel, it depends on the feel you want and the pads you use. I don't like metallic pads either, I prefer the feel of iron rotors and organic pads. But that set up is becoming less and less common and as such serious brake set ups tend to rely on some sort of sintered pad. But as far as I know "sintered" pads are metallic pads. I do recommend using pads that match the type of rotor you are using, they make pads that work best on steel rotors as well as pads that work best on iron rotors.

BrakeTech makes a nice iron rotor, Brembo also offers a few to choose from. But steel rotors and metallic pads are becoming the standard and iron set ups are getting harder to find.

Brakes are a funny thing. I can't imagine they are a good place to skimp or cut corners. Buying used brake parts seems silly to me. I put that in the same bucket as buying used tires for my motorcycle. I know people do it, but I don't.

Oh, I don't know. Ducati posers are always putting the "latest bling" on their ducks, and many times very low mileage rotors, calipers, etc show up on the bay. I upgraded my Jack All tractor when I put a hack on it to a dual rotor front end with duck Brembo stuff for a little less than 150 bux. :grin:

I have iron rotors on my Triumph T160.  Wish I would have spent the extra bucks at the time and gone with the steel.  Even being drilled they still weigh a ton (think rotating mass/gyroscopic effect on steering), and they instantly rust everytime they get wet.  What a pain!!!!!

Personally I think you should get off your wallet and find all carbon :-)

Oh, I don't know. Ducati posers are always putting the "latest bling" on their ducks, and many times very low mileage rotors, calipers, etc show up on the bay. I upgraded my Jack All tractor when I put a hack on it to a dual rotor front end with duck Brembo stuff for a little less than 150 bux. :grin:

That is fine. It's a free country. But for me, it is not a place I scrimp to save a few bucks. I am sure some of those parts on ebay are in good shape, but I know some of them aren't. People seem to think their worn out / broken cr@p is worth pretty serious money all to often. And if I am upgrading my brakes I would rather upgrade to higher quality parts. While the OEM Brembo's on Ducati's (and Guzzi's) aren't bad their bespoke stuff is of a higher quality and performance.

But to each their own. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

That is fine. It's a free country. But for me, it is not a place I scrimp to save a few bucks. I am sure some of those parts on ebay are in good shape, but I know some of them aren't. People seem to think their worn out / broken cr@p is worth pretty serious money all to often. And if I am upgrading my brakes I would rather upgrade to higher quality parts. While the OEM Brembo's on Ducati's (and Guzzi's) aren't bad their bespoke stuff is of a higher quality and performance.

But to each their own. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

I wouldn't use Chinese rotors for example as my experience with some of their machined stuff is really good and some is quite poor and I'm not convinced on their control of material specs.   

As you point out and I agree brakes are a critical component and not worth skimping on. However I agree with Chuck in that there is a lot of very good low mileage Brembo stuff out there for cheap money.

Us Ducati ownwers are quite a generous lot, I sold a set of brand new Ohlins forks with tripple clamps and rear shock off my 1198s for a killer price to one happy 748 owner when I upgraded the bike to FGRT road and track forks and TTX rear shock. 

Ciao

I haven't had to install new rotors on a V11 yet, but I put EBC stainless drilled and floating rotors on my K75s. They were less expensive than the BMW parts (which are fixed, not floating discs), and I'm happy with them.

I agree with all the comments about the importance of buying quality brake components. If you want to buy used, you could increase your confidence in the used parts by using a good caliper and a run-out gauge.

BREMBO 320MM BRAKE DISK, 1998-2015

[PART NUMBER: 01613330]                                          $222.02

MG cycle.

My local independent Duc/BMW/Guzzi guy warned me against using off-brand rotors with Brembo's.  I had to replace my Griso's rotors at 45,000 miles because they were so "rattle-y" which I attributed to aggressive canyon braking.  By others, I ride like an old man who doesn't like using brakes.

BREMBO 320MM BRAKE DISK, 1998-2015

[PART NUMBER: 01613330]                                          $222.02

MG cycle.

My local independent Duc/BMW/Guzzi guy warned me against using off-brand rotors with Brembo's.  I had to replace my Griso's rotors at 45,000 miles because they were so "rattle-y" which I attributed to aggressive canyon braking.  By others, I ride like an old man who doesn't like using brakes.

I've been using off brand rotors with Brembo calipers and pads for years on the road and track without issues. 45,000 miles out of a set of rotors is way beyond expectations for mine. My ST2 rotors are just on minimum thickness now at 57,000 klms and need to be replaced and its been use for mainly commuting and touring.

Ciao

Perfect (Wisconsin) weather for a brake upgrade! :luigi:

Maybe even fresh fork oil, build a lightweight aircraft, restore a '37 Plymouth, have more kids . . .

. . . you know: perfect Wisconsin weather. ;)

Pretty sure the guys in Finland are doing the same thing.

(without the Plymouth . . .) B)

• Like 1