Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

danl

I see these are on sale for $279 for Black Friday (and through the weekend). I've been thinking about building a fixed height work stand out of lumber and using a ramp, but doing that by myself seems tough with the V11 and impossible with the Stelvio. A lift would be really nice, but I'm not likely to spend $1000 or more on one.

Does anyone own one of these lifts or have any practical experience with them? Specially any experience with a tall heavy bike like a Stelvio. I've read the comments about the wheel chock already. It does seem clear that needs to be swapped out for something more secure and that additional straps are a good precaution.

I know that this isn't the highest quality product. I'm ok with rebuilding a hydraulic cylinder in a few years if necessary, but not with a lift that is downright dangerous.

I know a fellow in Tyler Texas with one and he keeps his Suzuki Bandit mounted on it much of the time he doesn't ride it.  He does a lot of work on his and his friends' motorcycles.  Also, I can't recall who all has posted the info but I've read from several folks that are satisfied with them on various motorcycle internet boards.  .

Chuck from Indiana has a stand but I don't know if it's from Harbor Freight.  

Guilty as charged.  :grin:  It's actually a decent lift. (!) Yes, I've used the high priced spread when I've done some work for Mark at MGC, but for the occasional use that I do.. it's fine. Mine came with a missing nut that could have been a disaster. The cylinder needed to be topped up and bled. That was all. Just the same, inspect, lock tite, grease, etc. It would ruin your day if something came loose.

The Mighty Scura is the biggest bike I've had on it, and it is no issue. 

Yes, the "vise" sucks. I hear from a reliable source that Santa said I've been a *very* good boy and he'll bring me a good one. That said, I have used the vise for several jobs, and with (of course) tie down straps, it's been usable. 

Seriously.. I bought it to rehab the Lario. For the chump change they cost I could have used it for that one job and thrown it away.  :huh2:  Since then, I have had many projects on it. It makes you wonder why you haven't had one for years.  

I got a used HF bike lift that I found on craigslist. The PO modified the front wheel chock to make it sturdier, but I still strap it on both sides for security.  A surprising benefit is that I can move the lift with the bike on it - so I can put it in the middle of the garage while working on it, and move it against a wall while waiting.  The lift has a couple of feet that screw down to the floor so it cannot roll accidentally.

I have a roll-on wheel chock (from Cycle Gear) which holds the bike very well. I intend to remove all the HF front wheel clamp stuff and modify the lift so I can quickly install/remove the roll-on chock.

The lift is great for raising the whole bike to a convenient working height. I've found that I need several different ways to raise the wheels off the ground - but I have not yet figured out how to remove the front wheel while it's on the lift (since it's clamped in).

I really like the simplicity and versatility of the platform jack (under the transmission). I use that platform jack a lot.

IMG_4481.jpg

but I have not yet figured out how to remove the front wheel while it's on the lift (since it's clamped in).

Uhhh, I back the bike up and clamp the rear wheel in the vise.  :whistle:   :ninja:  :oldgit:

but I have not yet figured out how to remove the front wheel while it's on the lift (since it's clamped in).

Uhhh, I back the bike up and clamp the rear wheel in the vise.  :whistle:   :ninja:  :oldgit:

Well, that seems like a pretty obvious solution now that you point it out.  :homer:

I have had one, the red lift table, for going on six years now.  Bought it originally while I was restoring my 1975 Triumph T160 but have used it for the V-11, the Aprilia and also the 750 pound Suzuki M90.  You can spend alot more money for one but for what we use them and at that price you cant beat them.  I hate crawling around on the floor while working on the bikes!

Yup, they work fine.  I have used mine a ton and it's holding up.  You can't beat the price/value.  As everyone has said, plan on replacing the front wheel clamp with a ride on type.  The Stock unit will hold up a Honda CT90, but not much else.   The shipping box is huge and realllllly heavy, so factor in a large pickup to get it, and some help to load and unload the beast.

I decided to unload mine at home by myself and ended up dropping the thing on my foot.  Damn it hurt something awful for the longest time!

Andy

Ha - I unloaded my used one by myself. Big mistake. Was fortunate to avoid injury.

A couple bonus features when you have a lift:

1. An adjustable height table for all sorts of other projects.
  2. A loading platform for a pickup truck

^^^^^ Buncha rookies..  :oldgit: I unloaded mine by myself. Backed the trailer where I wanted it, slid the lift back, let gravity put one end down. Wrapped a sling around the top, hooked the cherry picker up to it and drove the trailer away. Let it the rest of the way down to the floor, cut the box away, and rolled it off. Easy peasey.  :rasta:

Thanks for the comments everybody.  I'm sold on the lift now...unfortunately I didn't make it back in town from Thanksgiving in time to pick one up!  I'll keep watching for another sale.