Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

danl

I still need to figure out how to change the front tire. I can borrow one of the side lifts which should get it off the ground just enough.

you could do as Chuck mentioned and back the bike in. Nice Norton btw. I owned a 75 for several years. Sweet sound. Garage art.

Yeah but I need to still jack the bike slightly. I have a worthless scissor jack that I don't trust. Hmm, maybe the stand for the Bultaco might work.

The Norton is definitely a piece of garage art now after it threw a rod through the bottom of the crankcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This platform jack has served me really well. Once you stabilize the rear (a standard swingarm stand will work) you can put the platform jack under the engine to lift the front wheel. 

IMG_5638.jpg

...or you could leave the wheel on and use the platform jack to take out the engine...

Just a heads up. After unpacking my $299 HF lift, I too, wondered why I hadn't done it years ago. 

But.

A careful inspection revealed a missing nut on one of the scissor arms. If that bolt had eventually worked it's way out it would have certainly ruined my day. :luigi: I removed and thread locked all nuts, topped up the hydraulic cylinder, and have used it for years, now.

Good points. After, years of use, it's probably a good time to do a thorough inspection on mine.

Is there a recommended procedure to fill the cylinder?

Good points. After, years of use, it's probably a good time to do a thorough inspection on mine.

Is there a recommended procedure to fill the cylinder?

Hydraulic oil + hole. Insert A into B.

The cylinders are typically low from the factory. Regardless, use the safety bar when lifted.

This platform jack has served me really well. Once you stabilize the rear (a standard swingarm stand will work) you can put the platform jack under the engine to lift the front wheel. 

...or you could leave the wheel on and use the platform jack to take out the engine...

Any idea where you got the platform jack from? I've been looking for something like that.

Very similar is a transmission jack.  Check Harbor Freight.

I have a transmission jack but it's not rated high enough to lift a bike. I think it's only good for 250lbs.

I guess I must have a "heavy duty" tranny jack.  It has wheels and I use it to drop the engine from a GL and roll it out the side.  I do like that the amazon piece is much shorter retracted. My tranny jack needs about 6" of clearance.

I guess I must have a "heavy duty" tranny jack.  It has wheels and I use it to drop the engine from a GL and roll it out the side.  I do like that the amazon piece is much shorter retracted. My tranny jack needs about 6" of clearance.

as long as we're on the "jack" topic, which one is yours? I like the idea of wheels on it.

This is the one I have: http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

Rated at 450 lbs which is probably just a little low for a V11.

image_23989.jpg

They do have a higher rated one at 800lbs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html