Riding Dirt to the Grand Canyon

Scud

We've had some recent conversations about dirt bikes, so I thought I'd share a non-guzzi adventure with you guys.

My oldest daughter is attending Northern Arizona University, and this was our third Thanksgiving in the area. We rented a cabin near the base of Humphreys Peak (aka the San Francisco Peaks). There is some fabulous single track that starts only a mile from the cabin. Some of it is rather challenging. I didn't make this sharp, uphill, right-hand turn, so I took a picture while gasping for (thin) air and before wrestling it through the rest of that section.

IMG_5535.jpg

On my last few trips to visit my daughter, I've been intrigued by the possibility of riding all the way to Grand Canyon National Park on dirt roads, and decided to make the attempt Friday. I estimated 75 miles one-way.

That morning was 20F (-7C) and some of the first roads I intended to ride were impassible due to snow. Funny thing - I had scouted one of those roads the day before and was making good progress on a snowy uphill, but had to bail because people were sledding down the road.

Here's a shot of open forest, looking back on the 12,600 foot Humphreys Peak.

IMG_5540.jpg

My plan was to go round-trip all on dirt, but I had some navigation challenges, some self-inflicted, but others due to roads being closed, too snowy, and most frustrating of all, reality not matching the tracks I had planned in my GPS. I saw deer, elk, and a coyote. By the time I got to the Grand Canyon, I had covered over 100 miles and it was much later than my plan. But I still had time to enjoy the park. I just went back on the asphalt, because I didn't have enough gas or time to go back on dirt.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-26%20at%208.16.0

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5543.jpg

Rolled out this morning before Northern Arizona got hit with a lot more snow. This is probably the last high-altitude ride of the year. Thanksgiving is traditionally the start of the desert riding season here - and the sand dunes near the CA/AZ border were packed with campers - but I just love riding in the mountains, especially if there's some snow.

IMG_5586.jpg

• Like 4

What kind of range do you get with the Husky?  The fuel tank looks rather small compared to the KLR650's and some of the BMW's.  I only ask because I am intrigued with the thought of attempting the Trans America Trail before I get to old and have been comparing the various bikes.  The KLR and Dr650 with the aftermarket tank seem to be the bikes of choice. 

Jerry

That's an aftermarket IMS tank. I think it's about 3.5 gallons. I can get close to 50MPG on fairly open terrain in 6th gear - but use a lot more fuel over technical sections, because, well, to borrow Chuck's phrase "dirt-bike ridden in anger". You can carry more gas in a roto-pack on the tail.

The Italian-made carbureted Huskys are solid, reliable bikes that would be way more fun than either of those heavy (and more comfortable) 650s. I had a TE510 before this TE450. The 510 was a beast, but it ran hot. I like the 450 better. The 450 with the Akropovic exhaust still has more power than anyone realistically needs - and it's got tons of grunt down low. I've done several 200+ mile days (and some 500-mile weekends) on Huskys and I think it would be capable of a cross-country trip.

I think the choice of a Husky vs a KLR or DR for the TAT is sort of like choosing between a V11 and a big Harley for a cross-country trip on pavement. You know the Husky or V11 will be more fun - but you know there's more dealer support along the way for the other bikes. The new, fuel-injected KTM and Husqvarna 500s would also be great choices - although much more expensive.

@Jester - no injury, but I did bang up the bike a bit - dropped it four times in about two miles of that rocky single track, and again following a spectacular loss of traction while trying make a snow-covered grade. No drops on the long-haul to the Grand Canyon though.

To drop a bike is pretty normal lol.

JRD actually only you can answer these questions.. But it is darn hard to beat a KLR especially for the money spent . But I would say to get a Gen1 1996 to 2007 as a few years of the Gen 2 08 to 10 I think has oil control problems as they changed the ring design. What many do is put in an eagle mike's 685 cc kit. You can go to this forum and find out everything you need to know. http://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php

Jester- thanks for the link.  I have been increasingly attracted to the ADV Rider Forum as they have an individual thread for each  of the different makes and models. Looking for a bike to ride on the dirt and fire roads near our cabin up in Georgia, and also the possibility of doing the TAT, I came  really close to buying a 2014 KLR650 with 475 miles.  Then doing a bit more research I discovered that Kawasaki may or may not have done the "do-hickie" conversion for the counter balance chain tensioner and since I was buying the bike used, they may or may not cover any repair under warranty.

As I understand it, Kawasaki finally addressed the problem in 2015 and the 2016 years are trouble free.  Hopefully I will be able to find a leftover 2016 in the spring time.

Scud- Yea the dealer support issue is the main reason I have been focusing on the the KLR/DR.  Do you carry a SPOT or EPIRB tracking device when you ride remote tracks in the mountains or desert?     

Jester- thanks for the link.  I have been increasingly attracted to the ADV Rider Forum as they have an individual thread for each  of the different makes and models. Looking for a bike to ride on the dirt and fire roads near our cabin up in Georgia, and also the possibility of doing the TAT, I came  really close to buying a 2014 KLR650 with 475 miles.  Then doing a bit more research I discovered that Kawasaki may or may not have done the "do-hickie" conversion for the counter balance chain tensioner and since I was buying the bike used, they may or may not cover any repair under warranty.

As I understand it, Kawasaki finally addressed the problem in 2015 and the 2016 years are trouble free.  Hopefully I will be able to find a leftover 2016 in the spring time.

Scud- Yea the dealer support issue is the main reason I have been focusing on the the KLR/DR.  Do you carry a SPOT or EPIRB tracking device when you ride remote tracks in the mountains or desert?     

Well I will say one thing I have read about the KLR and the Moto Guzzi is Shocks and Forks as in an upgrade of the rear shock is highly advised if doing any kind of serious off road work and or carrying allot of weight along with upgrading the rear sub frame bolts as the factory ones tend to not be up to snuff. And I think you are correct that they fixed the doo but I would get the modified thermostate set up from watt man. But again I would highly suggest to take a look at the forum I gave. :).

As for Gen 1 VS Gen 2 I tend to like the Gen 1 more as they do not have as much plastic up front to break lol.

But again with the KLR I would spend funds towards reliability and suspension as well of coarse in anything that will make the bike rider friendly for what you intend to do. As really you are not going to pull really anything extra out of the KLR Engine.

I will throw this out there though about tires. If you plan to run more off road it is hard to beat the cheap Shinko 244's and if you run on the road more often the Shinko 705's are a good 10000 Mi Plus tire.

And yep I will keep going lol. You can get the IMS Plastic fuel tank which is a 7 gallon plus tank for about $260.oo or a IMS 10 gallon tank for about double that. And at say 48-54 MPG you can cover some ground before you have to worry about fuel. :)

10 gallon fuel tank?!  Oh good lord my bladder would explode before I ran out of fuel !!!!!  Those KLR's are amazing bikes and have been used for some incredible adventures.  Although a little heavy for the TAT, they sure seem like the go to bike for the Al-Can Hwy.  

Fairly inexpensive, reliable for the most part, and a good dealer network if needed.  Just checked Mountain Motor Sports up in Georgia the other day.  They have a close out on 2016's for $4,899.00 plus tax,shipping, etc.  And that includes the warranty.  HHHmmmmm, what can I sell to make room for another bike?

Awesome trip Scud! 

How tough is it to get parts for that generation of Husky?  I know the new ones are just reworked KTMs but that's OK, KTM makes a great bike.

My brother and I both had a few Huskys back when they were still made in Sweden.  I'd love to get one of the new ones but there just aren't enough riding areas left around here :(

If I am going any significant distance, I leave my mapping software on my computer with the tracks I intend to ride displayed. I overview my intent with my wife so she knows where to look if I don't come back. On this particular trip, I borrowed a friend's satellite phone (but didn't use it).

I have been thinking about getting a SPOT or similar - also thinking about a Medevac insurance policy. Maybe that's something for the Christmas wish-list. Those are good safety items for street riding too.

KLR650 or DR650 would be great choices for TAT... but have you seen the Husqvarna 701?

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/us/enduro/dual-sport/701-enduro/

Awesome trip Scud! 

How tough is it to get parts for that generation of Husky?  I know the new ones are just reworked KTMs but that's OK, KTM makes a great bike.

My brother and I both had a few Huskys back when they were still made in Sweden.  I'd love to get one of the new ones but there just aren't enough riding areas left around here :(

Sort of like finding Moto Guzzi parts - there are a few dealers who know how to find things - two local dealers in San Diego, plus Hall's Cycle for "mail-order." But it doesn't need much besides normal wear items. That said - I did bend a footpeg and broke a horn bracket (which in turn severed the speedo sensor wire) - so I will test parts availability again soon.

Perhaps FotoGuzzi will be along to extoll the virtues of the DR650.

Be cautious with the Husqvarna Terra. From what I understand, a well sorted one can a be a real joy - but it's a bit of an orphan bike. It was sold during the short time when BMW owned Husky. The Terra has a modified BMW engine.

Scud- a 701 Husky? I got into enough trouble on my 250 and 400cc dirt bikes that I could have auditioned for one of the crash dummies.    

I will digress a bit lol. Yes I picked the ole 96 KLR 650 as I am no longer a serious off road nut lol. No more table tops for me Thank You lol. Even though at times my mind will scream hey lets do that and my body goes are you crazy lol. Yes sometimes crazy wins lol. But it always turns out painful but yet fun I know confusing lol. But if I ride something that I know will not do something then I regulate myself in knowing that. Only because I am now old enough to take these things into account. :)

Back to bikes. As mentioned all of them have plus and minuses of which the end user needs to weigh these things as to what they honestly feel they will use the motorcycle for.

For mostly trails and some lower speed road work the Suzuki DRZ 400 is very popular and of course as mentioned Husky is a heck of a bike and they know how to build a bike for off road work. There is no question about that from anyone.

As for the 650's The downside for me on the KLR is that it is water cooled but it is also an upside as in longer highway use you can run 75-80 MPH all day without worry of an over heat. Not something I would really wish to do with a DR650 or even a Honda XL650. Not to mention as noted the after market parts available for the KLR is just mind blowing. I mean think about it the KLR 650 with little changes I think has been in production since 1986 lol. There must be a reason it has been so popular for so long. Well of coarse the low price helps. :)