Riding Dirt to the Grand Canyon

Scud

Thanks Scud I red something about the Husqvarna Terra, you can find them for a really low price but there are some serious problems like the bike dying on you at low rpm etc.  so I decided to start my off-road experiences with a 1997 Suzuki DR, not so fancy but far more reliable and relatively cheap.

Doy ou guys know if there are any website or apps dedicated to motorcycle off road for Californians I mean something that tells you all the hidden trails etc? My buddy got something for his MTB and he's really happy.

Good choice for a first dual-sport bike.  A license plate opens up a lot of terrain that is not open to Green-Sticker vehicles in CA. You can ride that old DR on the street to the trails, then escape into the woods.

A great way to start discovering trails is to go on some organized rides - for example, the Stewards of The Sierra National Forest put on some epic rides between Bass Lake and Yosemite. It'll cost you a registration fee, but they give you GPS tracks and a large group of riders go out at the same time - so there is camaraderie, and the AMA sponsored events have "sweepers" with tool kits and first-aid training.

You can download US Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps for many regions in CA and other states. Those show everywhere you can legally ride. I carry them whenever possible in addition to my GPS. Funny story on a ride from Flagstaff to Sedona:  a  ranger stopped me and said I was on a closed trail. I pulled out my current USFS map - said "are we here?" and he said: "Oh I guess it's open for motorcycles" and let me proceed. That particular trail was marked on the map for motorcycles only (not even 4WD allowed) - those are always the best trails.

There are many, shall-we-say, "informal" areas or trails that are commonly used, but not on the maps. I know of one near my home that is referred to as "The Hiding Place." As you might imagine, there is not a website for it, - somebody will take you after you learn the secret dirt-biker handshake.

We just hired a guy from SoCal. He's been telling me about some of the epic DS riding out there. Really makes me want a little enduro..... carry on.

IMG_3426.jpg

I took this picture of a riding buddy... somewhere in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains of California.

The sheer scale of the Sierra Nevada Range is mind-blowing to people who haven't seen it before. When you come visit, keep your helmet on so your brains don't splatter all over the place...

To me, dirt-biking is about going places and exploring. Where does that road go? Don't know. Let's find out.

IMG_4941.jpg

A while back, I posted a picture of where I got stopped by a snow drift. It was at about 10,000 feet in the mountains that are obscured by clouds in the right of this picture. I turned around after that and rode into the small mountains to the East (the Benton Range, at "only" 8,000 feet), where I found this old Ford. It "ran when parked" and is almost complete, except for the hood emblem, which is currently in my garage. I keep thinking about going back there with my 4WD truck to salvage one of the shot-up doors or the tailgate as "art" for my office.

• Like 1

"Ran when parked"?  Just think how kool you would look driving around in a truck with all that "patina"!

"Ran when parked"?  Just think how kool you would look driving around in a truck with all that "patina"!

00 Buck = "patina" . . . yeah, buddy! B)

OK boys, this would all be very funny if it weren't so dangerously close to the truth... I told my riding buddy: "We can get drag it out of here - we can just put in a crate motor, tranny, suspension, electric, and glass. Done. Cruise it around as-is." Next time up there, I might really take a door. I think a truck door that's been shot-to hell developed a patina would look good in my office.

That truck door in your office will never look as good as the whole truck in your garage!  "Crate motor, tranny, etc." my thoughts exactly.  Come on Scud, just think how kool your Husky will look in the bed of that truck.  

That truck door in your office will never look as good as the whole truck in your garage!  "Crate motor, tranny, etc." my thoughts exactly.  Come on Scud, just think how kool your Husky will look in the bed of that truck.  

Well, I posted that same picture on Wild Guzzi in response the question: "What's coolest thing you have found on the road while riding?"

I think somebody actually wants to go get that truck.

• 4 weeks later...

Since this thread turned into a little bit of a "how to get started with a dual-sport" I thought I throw in a little more.

The Husky is getting ready for a long President's Day weekend in Flagstaff. It could be snowy, rainy, and muddy and I've got brand new knobbies.   :food:

If you're serious about getting into this, many dirt bikers (self included) do the majority of home maintenance with only the tools they carry. Today I proved I could change a rear tire with only two tire irons - because I got a Motion-Pro "trail bead buddy." It locks the bead - I was previously holding a third iron with my foot to lock the bead. So I'm stoked and my tool bag will weigh a precious few ounces less.

IMG_5807.jpg

And in the spirit of "enjoying life while you can..." Dual sport riding is a blast. If you're even thinking that you might like to try it - DO.

Thump thump thump...

maintenance with only the tools they carry

Back in the day, I had a Bultaco Matador. I had a set of vise grips clamped on the frame. You could always find a rock. :grin: