Riding Dirt to the Grand Canyon

Scud

I'm always torn between a classic mile muncher (ala /5-7 BMW or Guzzi Loop) and a dual sport (ala klr250) when the idea of adding another bike to the stable comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure you load up your husky and drive to trails, but how brutal is a quick-ish hwy. jaunt on a dirt oriented bike?

I seem to find out of the way trails all the time on my v11.... not on purpose.

The Husky is fun on the street. I whipped through about 30 miles of asphalt including a fun little canyon before draining the oil and swapping tires. I run serious off-road tires that wear quickly on asphalt, so I do stay away from the asphalt when the knobbies are fresh and sharp - but almost every dirt ride includes a little asphalt. I did a good hour on asphalt on the ride back from Grand Canyon that started this thread. Short freeway runs are fine - but depends on gearing. My 510 Husky would do over 100MPH, but then I geared it down so I wouldn't have to slip the clutch so much in technical terrain. 

Just say no to the KLR 250. :bbblll:  You will wring it's spindly little neck and not be happy. A Suzuki DRZ 400 or Honda XR 400 (if you can find one with a license plate) would be a better start. Those are powerful enough to spend a little time on the street and still be competent dirt bikes that are light enough to pick up.

There's always the Guzzi Quota to consider... that'll munch miles and would probably do fine on dirt roads and easy trails.

I kept "Darth Quota" for a couple of years. It was the Guzzitech commuter before the ugly divorce between Todd and Ed, and was very well tuned. A much better handling road bike than you would think by looking at them, and a *really* good touring bike. That long travel suspension soaked up those nasty interstate expansion joints and rough roads like Yerba Buena with ease. It was a big sucker for off road, though. Oh, I'm sure it would do it, but I'd hate to have to pick it up much..

Truck or motorcycle tour? I don't know anybody, but I could ask around. If motorcycle there's a San Diego Adventure Rider Forum - I'm not active on it, but I bet those guys would know who does tours. 

Check with MotoDiscovery.com.  They set up a custom off road tour for our club in the Sierra Madre Oriental south of Monterrey.  You need 8-10 folks to do a custom tour.

Personally I'd love to do a mostly dirt tour of the Baja Missions roads. I've been up and down the Baja on the paved roads several times.

Be sure to do the Copper Canyon before it all gets paved over.

• Like 1

TEASE!!

No... showing you this snowy single-track is teasing...

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

But I cut my ride short after the bike went right and I went left for a swim. Wet underwear, boot full of water and freezing temperatures are a bad combo...

IMG_5824.jpg

And Baja - that's a special place. If you've never been and you want to go offroad, it's probably a good idea to spend for a tour guide. It IS a different country with different ideas about laws, healthcare, foodservice, etc. Many of the differences are refreshingly pure and simple, some of the differences can get you killed.

• Like 1

Looks like you are riding solo, hope you are carrying a Spot.

I still haven't got one of those Spots. Thanks for the reminder - doing some research now as I am contemplating a longer solo ride soon. One of those would be good for solo street riding too. I like the ability to send custom text messages via the spot - an occasional "I'm OK."

I leave a ride-plan, and I ride conservatively when I go solo. But when there's a chance to exit a snowdrift onto a slippery wooden bridge... well... you gotta try that... (at low speed).

• Like 1