Riding Dirt to the Grand Canyon

Scud

Well... it looks like my procrastination is paying off. I've been thinking about upgrading my Garmin GPS 60 for a while, and I keep not buying a Spot device (despite the fact I often venture far off-road by myself). But good news, Garmin has just released a combo-device. Their new InReach handheld GPS units also connect to satellite, but they allow two-way messaging and connect to mobile devices via bluetooth for uber-coolness. Basic subscription cost looks to be about the same as Spot. How new are the devices? Amazon is only taking pre-orders.

This could be what I've been waiting for. For extra $150 a year, you can get worldwide Medivac insurance. Another $30 gets you worldwide search and rescue. Good for peace of mind for the people who wait at home while you romp around Mexico... 

• Like 1

I've had a spot almost as soon as they came out.  We had 2 incidents happen to solo off road bikers here in Zonie land.

One guy went down hard and got a concussion. He could ride, but his bell was so rung, he had no idea where he was.  He rode around sporadically in circles for nearly 2 days before finally dying.   He was within a couple of miles of the I-17 freeway and Carefree Hwy the entire time and reports said his tire tracks were within 1/4 mile of the freeway at one point.

Another guy broke his leg just above the ankle about 30 miles out into the desert.  He couldn't ride or walk out and didn't bring water with him and was gone within a few days.

bb - do you ride dirt too?

I know it's risky to ride solo - and I pack accordingly. There are some big animals out there too. I spooked a few Elk once when taking a dirt route from Sedona to Flagstaff. Then you have to think about bears in Eastern AZ and California...

The tracking is becoming increasingly important to my family, so I just ordered the Garmin InReach Explorer. Should be arriving in about a month. Given that this device has two-way communication, in a worst-case scenario someone can ping the device for it's current location and know where to find me.

Good choice.  That Garmin unit looks like a good one. I may have to trade in my Spot Gen 1. I occasionally get my F800GS out in the woods.  Haven't been off road riding as much lately as I added a Polaris RZR to the garage so La Reina can come along.