driveshaft phasing video

Chuck

I recently noticed that I had misaligned my driveshaft on reassembly (just by one tooth). The video made me feel much better about the effort required to correct it. I knew there was a reason for the alignment, but never understood the reason before.

• 2 weeks later...

How does a guy tell? Sight down the drive shaft like a 2x4? Take it to some u-joint wizard in rural WI?....

Truly - I've always trusted my marks and thought the yokes looked "okay." But, after looking at the variation in drive speeds on the video, one tooth out would make the bike a tire eater!

( In my case, that could still be the loose nut attached to the throttle cable . . . :rolleyes: )

The UJ's should sit in the same plane - so if you look at drive shaft end to end, UJ surfaces are parallel.

I'd post a pic but I dunno how anymore (does the pic have to be already on line?)

Does this help? (Driveshaft w UJ either end viewed from above) >

XXXXXX                                                         XXXXXX

XXXX      _________________________________     XXXX

XXXX   O_________________________________O   XXXX

XXXX                                                                             XXXX

XXXXXX                                                         XXXXXX

Is it just me, or is the driveshaft out of phase at the beginning and end of the video?  It only looks correct just before they move it to make it incorrect.

To be in phase, the yokes of the U joint are on the same plane, yes?

Is it just me, or is the driveshaft out of phase at the beginning and end of the video?  It only looks correct just before they move it to make it incorrect.

To be in phase, the yokes of the U joint are on the same plane, yes?

Hey, you're onto something there... i see it too.

If the shaft is misaligned on the bike would there be weird handling when changing speeds?

How is it manifested?

If misaligned the driveshaft will wind up and down like a big torsion spring puting high loads on the splines and pinions in the transmission but also loading and unloading the reaction rod making the suspension incapable of working correctly!

The forces are quite high. I've seen the splined part of a bevelbox pinion twisted off by them after a long period of misalignment!

Pete

• Like 1