Oil on engine case....?cylinder head gasket replacement

plexiform

Noticed some oil on the front left side of the engine case today after a short ride.  Hadn't notice this type of leak/seapage before.  Heard a backfire kind of 'pop' sound on startup today which was new but it happened once and the ride felt otherwise uneventful.  Just filled with gas before the ride but i touched the wet area and it is not fuel just oil and debris/dirt mixed.  Any thoughts where to start to diagnose and fix would be appreciated.  Thanks.  This is an 02 scura.  

18318355-lg.jpg

18318356-lg.jpg

18318353-lg.jpg

Ok, here:

>Observe the Timing/TDC/Cam Position Sensor on the left side of the timing chest for leakage. A simple #112 O-ring replacement is often all that is necessary. That said, mine leaked through the wire lead and had to be sealed with an epoxy. Do not increase the gasket thickness as this will change the timing. Sometimes, the fasteners just need to be snugged up.

The leaker is clearly visible in your third photo. It is not the head gasket.

Remove the timing sensor, replace the #112 Viton O-ring and *Bob e `tuo zio* :grin:

• Like 1

The photos show a good representation of the '02 bubbling engine block paint, for those who were/are curious. Mine looks just like that and I don't find it bothersome.

Except for the oil leak (maybe from the timing sensor?) I suppose the unfortunate 2002 crinkle paint is not going to sustain oil leaks well . . .

I think the last #112 O-ring i got from the local auto parts supplier was two bucks . . .

Thanks for all the replies.  Will look in to changing the o-ring.

The bubbling of paint on engine doesn't bother me much either.  However if i bought it brand new and then this happened and no one offered to fix it under warranty, I'd be pissed!

I agree that the leak is almost certainly at the timing sensor. I bet you will find a crusty, squared-off, or broken O-ring in there. There's an outside chance that the leak is due to a broken timing cover gasket. The original gaskets were paper, but thicker ones are available. Mine was leaking from both places (timing cover and sensor) at the same time. Your leak looks like low volume. Mine got so bad it was putting oil on the rear tire - and the oil would soak behind the paint bubbles, which made it difficult to get totally clean.

I'm in the middle of a crinkle-paint exorcism now. I don't think I would have bothered if I didn't have something else to ride during the project. But I am seeing that the paint problem is not totally cosmetic. There are several areas inside the cases where paint has peeled, bubbled, or flaked - which puts crap in the oil. I don't know how serious that is, but I'm getting it out of the cases while I'm at it.

In the diagram below I see #8 the oil feed line, and I see #12 the pressure sensor, but I do not see the timing sensor marked on this diagram.  Am I looking at the wrong diagram?  Thanks

engine-supply-oil-pump.jpg

Yes, that's an oil system. You need to look at an electrical system diagram.

The O-ring is #16 at this link:

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/injection-electrical-system-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

MG Part #90706141

• Like 1

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/injection-electrical-system-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

MG Part #90706141

yup. simple #112 o-ring. Easy to try first.

MG Part #90706141

thanks! thats what i needed. Im not new to MG but new to working on them...never a dull moment!

The closest sized oring I could find is 11/16x9/16x1/16 and it fit perfectly and the bike fired right up and sounded good. Didn't see any oil immediately seeping through. Does that mean success or is close not good enough? I measured the thickness of the orings and they were nearly identical to the thousandth decimal point.