It was too good a deal to pass up.......

nobleswood

I'd often wondered about the Griso's. The 2 owners I'd met had big Grins on their faces when they talked about their bikes. Pete Roper sold 'the Mighty Scura' and bought one.

So one came up on Craigslist not 1/2 mile from me! What could I do? It was an answer from the Gods.

Now it's mine.

Took it for a ride on a clear but 38 degree day. I can see now why those owners had big Grins on their faces !

Looking forward to Spring

• Like 3

It's a 2013 1200 8V SE, roller tappets. 13600 miles.

The previous owner had owned Guzzi's in the past, seemed to know his way around working on motorbikes. Seemed to be moving more towards cruisers in his, ahem, greyer years.

He had bought the bike from his friend who on moving to Philidelphia from NJ, decided he wanted a Triumph Tiger ADV to cope with the potholes. It was a fly & ride, so he had confidence in the bikes condition. Then had it for the summer.

I only had the one ride & my initial impression is that you sit more 'in' the bike, it feels lower than my V11 & drops into the corner quicker. But I noticed the forks are higher in the top clamp than the manual states, so that could explain that.

The motor is the part that creates the biggest grin, spinning up smoothly & with a glorious howl !

There might be clear weather for a ride but I'm expecting to have the bike in the shed until the Spring. Then I can ride the two bikes side by side & compare suspensions.

• Like 1

We can make a stock Griso far, far better at very little cost in terms of engine behaviour, (No, we don't make ludicrous claims about HP.) apart from that spend money on suspension and fling a set of EBC HH pads at it.

The CARC bikes are now dead so we are following in the steps of the V11 series. Since Guzzi are no longer building anything remotely interesting I'm very likely about to quit being an authorised service agent and go back to freelancing. As shame, but the CARC bikes have been my muse for a decade and really are the pinnacle of development. Now all we get is twin shock shitters with a 1400 motor and Smallblocks. I weep for the brand I've spent my life working on......

Pete

• Like 3

So, I guess that means you don't care for the new stuff, Pete? :rasta: 

Shame, really.. a brand with all it's sporting history reduced to building bar hoppers.

The Mighty Scura will continue to be my new bike. :grin:

Pete,

Over the winter, in the shed, I'm going to go over it and try to set up the suspension, with the original equipment. But as Chuck can testify, I'm still learning.

And like 'Ohiorider' Bob I only weigh 175 wet ! He's only a couple of hours away & if he gets another Griso I go visit to pick his brains as well.

I'm hoping for something interesting to be done with the smallblock platform but I'm not holding my breath. It seems that all attempts at modernity are being abandoned and Guzzi is being reduced to being a manufacturer of fairground attractions! It makes me want to heave!

The Griso has been growing on me. I especially like the black and silver that you got - IMO it is second only to the Tenni Green.

Some people refer to the V11 Sport/LeMans series as the "last of the hairy-chested Guzzis." I also hope the Griso and Sport 1200 don't become the "last of the Guzzi sport bikes."

I've only bought 2 motorcycles new, so I'm not really entitled to too much of an opinion of the new-bike market. However, I could be tempted with a 100th anniversary Moto Guzzi LeMans - so long as it's a real motorcycle, not a twin shock shitter with a few stylistic nods and a LeMans sticker.

"Twin shock shitters."   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  

Congrats on the new ride! I have the same yr/ model and love it.  I purchased my GRiSO October '15, soon after the unfortunate demise of my V11 LM Tenni. I have managed to get a great full year of riding in, without missing a single month. I don't think I will have the same luck this year though, as the snow is coming down as I post. Two consecutive years of open winter are unheard of in Massachusetts, I expect we will be buried this season.

• Like 1