It was too good a deal to pass up.......

nobleswood

I've had my eye on the Griso for a while, now. I've never owned a new bike, only second hand (or third, or forth, or who knows).

It makes me sad that MG stopped producing them. Some shops around me have some new ones left, but I can't afford them at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've had my eye on the Griso for a while, now. I've never owned a new bike, only second hand (or third, or forth, or who knows).

It makes me sad that MG stopped producing them. Some shops around me have some new ones left, but I can't afford them at the time.

Is the one you bought a roller motor?

Ciao

Ciao

I'm not sure what you mean by "roller motor."

Ciao

Older Griso's have flat tappets. All 2 valve per cylinder Griso's (the 1100's) have flat tappets. When they moved to a 8 valve motor they still had flat tappets, but they didn't design the motor correctly as it ate the flat tappets. So they re-designed the 8 valve motor to use roller tappets. Later Griso 1200's (the 8 valve motors are 1200's and the earlier 2 valve motors are 1100's) came from the factory with the roller tappets. I think the switch over from flat tappets to roller tappets happened mid year in 2012. They also offer a conversion kit (actually two or three different kits depending on version) that convert a flat tappet motor to roller tappets. That the roller tappet conversion typically uses the same valve springs likely points at what the factory did wrong with the original flat tappet valve train.

• Like 1

Ciao

Older Griso's have flat tappets. All 2 valve per cylinder Griso's (the 1100's) have flat tappets. When they moved to a 8 valve motor they still had flat tappets, but they didn't design the motor correctly as it ate the flat tappets. So they re-designed the 8 valve motor to use roller tappets. Later Griso 1200's (the 8 valve motors are 1200's and the earlier 2 valve motors are 1100's) came from the factory with the roller tappets. I think the switch over from flat tappets to roller tappets happened mid year in 2012. They also offer a conversion kit (actually two or three different kits depending on version) that convert a flat tappet motor to roller tappets. That the roller tappet conversion typically uses the same valve springs likely points at what the factory did wrong with the original flat tappet valve train.

Quite possibly the pithiest summary of the issue on the web,  :notworthy:

Bill

He said it has Roller tappets, way back otherwise Pete would have jumped on it for sure.

Congratulations on the new bike, like sex on wheels I reckon

I just recently bought one of the 2 valve Grisos, I'm really happy with that.

You will be told to grease all the bearings and splines in the back end, there are about 5 needle roller bearings with very little grease from the factory, just what was in the wrapper, It's a breeze to do after the VIIs.

A length of 1/2" pipe through the mystery hole and two shop stands to support it while you disassemble the rear end or I built a stand out of lumber that lifts the back end off the ground without a jack.

He said it has Roller tappets, way back otherwise Pete would have jumped on it for sure.

You will be told to grease all the bearings and splines in the back end, there are about 5 needle roller bearings with very little grease from the factory, just what was in the wrapper, It's a breeze to do after the VIIs.

A length of 1/2" pipe through the mystery hole and two shop stands to support it while you disassemble the rear end or I built a stand out of lumber that lifts the back end off the ground without a jack.

I was just trying to explain to thelonewonderer what "roller motor" meant. And I kinda went a bit far. I was just trying to explain that a "roller motor" meant it had roller tappets.

And yes, a 2013 Griso should have the roller tappets.

• Like 1

I was just trying to explain to thelonewonderer what "roller motor" meant. And I kinda went a bit far. I was just trying to explain that a "roller motor" meant it had roller tappets.

And yes, a 2013 Griso should have the roller tappets.

I'm glad you did.  I copied that explanation to use whenever I am asked about the subject by the unwashed.  They should thank you, as my own explanation, aside from substantive errors, would be like drowning in words compared to your spare EXSUM.  :thumbsup:

Bill

• Like 1

Sorry I think I missed the first page of this thread and thought thelonewonder had bought the Grisso,hence my question about the roller motor which had been covered on page 1,doh.

I'm a bit shocked that it was mid 2012 that they went to roller lifters, that long ago. My memory isnt getting any better obviously.

Ciao

... but they didn't design the motor correctly as it ate the flat tappets...

Impressive. Quite some mouthfull, worth a proper Tweet if you want. But sorry, that's BS. Eating tappets is not necessarily a matter of bad design. Not that I would doubt you guys cannot immediately recognise a bad design should you ever come across one, but in this case it's just not so. I take phrases like this as a personal affront. 

Some folk here should eventually make up their mind why they're still Guzzi owners. Is it because of the bad design, the bad looks, the bad prices, the bad parts situation, the bad quality, the bad situation in general? Because you feel being in good company when it comes to Guzzi bashing? 

Better be easy with them, maybe they just don't have the right handbooks down there at the lake.

Impressive. Quite some mouthfull, worth a proper Tweet if you want. But sorry, that's BS. Eating tappets is not necessarily a matter of bad design. Not that I would doubt you guys cannot immediately recognise a bad design should you ever come across one, but in this case it's just not so. I take phrases like this as a personal affront. 

Some folk here should eventually make up their mind why they're still Guzzi owners. Is it because of the bad design, the bad looks, the bad prices, the bad parts situation, the bad quality, the bad situation in general? Because you feel being in good company when it comes to Guzzi bashing? 

Better be easy with them, maybe they just don't have the right handbooks down there at the lake.

Wow, tell us how you really feel:) Pete Roper is all over this and has been since day1. Two things, the engine happens to create a bit of engine oil mayo in cooler weather due to overcooling and this goopy mayo can drip down onto the cam lobes under certain conditions. The other is the DLC coating on the lifters, not a good idea. Not only is it a poor choice of surface treatment for this application but when it does start to fail the liberated material takes out the rest of the bearings in the engine eventually.

So poor design to an extent and poor materials choices.

Ciao

Sorry I "affronted" you. That was not my intention. I actually respect you and your Guzzi knowledge, along with your Guzzi enthusiasm.

I also have a fair bit of Guzzi Knowledge and as I own 4 different Guzzi's, two of which I will never sell, I think it is fair to say I also have a fair bit of Guzzi enthusiasm. But, I also call a spade a spade. And a flat tappet motor that ALWAYS fails (and that seems to be the opinion of Mr. Roper, I also tend trust his opinions about Guzzi's) is a poorly designed flat tappet motor. Clearly, it should not eat its tappets. Now, I may be wrong about why they fail, but it seems they do fail. But I do know that roller tappets and flat tappets require different rate valve springs, all else being equal. I also know that a flat tappet set up with a valve spring that is too stiff will fail. It will eat the tappets / cams. I know that the Guzzi roller tappet conversion uses the same springs. And I know that the flat tappet configuration eats tappets / cams.

I am not saying I hate Guzzi's, I tend to say the opposite. I am a big fan of Guzzi's. I was just talking about the flat tappet vs roller tappet debacle, which is not one of Guzzi's better moments but honestly pretty much every manufacturer makes mistakes like that now and then. I remember some mistakes some other brands have made, and often they don't handle it even as well as Guzzi did.

As to DLC, oddly, the Aprilia XV motor had an issue with its buckets (the equivalent of tappets for that motor) and the fix was to switch to DLC buckets. While DLC might not be good to use in valve trains, I am not so sure. Clearly in some cases it seems to be a good thing.

Don't forget the Lario, which put a big dent in Guzzi's reputation in the states. And.. the hydro motors, single plate clutch and cracked triples of the EVs. 

I also call a spade a spade. Doesn't mean I don't *love* the brand. 

Don't forget the Lario, which put a big dent in Guzzi's reputation in the states. And.. the hydro motors, single plate clutch and cracked triples of the EVs. 

One of my other Guzzi's is a Lario. That and the Daytona are the two I will never sell. They aren't perfect examples of engineering prowess, but they are cool. And something might be wrong with my Lario as it has not broken its valve train yet. Although I have probably jinxed it now....

One of my other Guzzi's is a Lario. That and the Daytona are the two I will never sell. They aren't perfect examples of engineering prowess, but they are cool. And something might be wrong with my Lario as it has not broken its valve train yet. Although I have probably jinxed it now....

My Lario wiped a cam lobe, but I had heard of this Aero engine on Craig's list, and.. :huh2: