It was too good a deal to pass up.......

nobleswood

Single sparking a 1400 is a much bigger job than simply swapping the barrels and pistons over Jon. As you know, we've bin there and done that.

Behold, a Griso 1400 in the wild!

39261133615_486b0bcfb4_z.jpg

That is intense! :thumbsup:

That is the first bike I have seen in forever that I would eat up to take the place of my beloved Sport . . .

Is that your personal ride, Pete?

No, that's Mark, ('Beetle's). We thought we'd build a single spark 1400, just because. Most people think you can just bolt on a set of 1400 barrels and Pistons. You can't. It's a lot more involved than that. Mark's bike has also been on a very serious weight reduction programme, you can't make a Griso much lighter.

How does it go? Well he's spent a lot of time mapping it and is currently running a Power Corruptor so he can switch between an 'Economy' map for droning and a 'Bugger me drunk!' Map for when it's playtime. All 8V's like their fuel due to the cams and combustion chamber design.the 1400 drinks 98 octane like a drunken sailor on shore leave when you're having fun.

I rode it for the first time since the map was finished earlier this week. It's a lot of fun.

If anyone wants one? Bring us a running 1200, give us $8K AU and we'll give it back to you ready to go. If you can do it cheaper or have a mate that can? Take it to them and when they fuque it up bring it to us and give us $20K AU and we'll fix it for you! :D

Here's a trio outside my 'Office', the Royal Hotel in Bungendore. Mine's the Greenie, then the 1400 and my offsider Michael's 1200.

26287618448_31e2be009b_z.jpg

Pete

• Like 1

Oh they're all roller bikes Jon. While there are a few nutters in Germany who wrongly believe that the flat tappet motors make 'More Power' and therefore persist with stupid aftermarket parts the fact is that every 1200 I've ever put on a dyno, in stock trim, makes 96RWHP.

The Germans, and some others, have this weird obsession with horsepower. WGAF? Really? A well mapped stock 1200 will hit the rev limiter in top eventually and will romp up to 180-200kph in the blink of an eye! Who wants to go faster than that on a public road?

Where the 1400 excells is its torque. It really is a big step up over the 1200. Snap the throttle in any of the three lower gears and you'll grab some air. In first you really need to be well up the tank to stop it standing right up. As I said, fun.

I admit I didn't care for the Griso when it came out. "Pooh-pooh," said I, "Too bad."

Then I saw Bill Hagan's red one in the flesh. (There is a fun and silly provocation to say "Bill Hagan" and "in the flesh" in the same sentence . . . :huh: )

These Griso are lusty beasts. :food:

And the 1400 in a "Sport" chassis? Really? I thought they were heavy cruiser mills . . . :blush:

• Like 1

I admit I didn't care for the Griso when it came out. "Pooh-pooh," said I, "Too bad."

Then I saw Bill Hagan's red one in the flesh. (There is a fun and silly provocation to say "Bill Hagan" and "in the flesh" in the same sentence . . . :huh: )

And the 1400 in a "Sport" chassis? Really? I thought they were heavy cruiser mills . . . :blush:

I'm with you docc. the Grisso is a bike that looks WAY better in the flesh than a photo. 

Ciao

Why? According to your avatar you own a V11 which is a two valve per cylinder motor. As stated before these are a completely different motive unit and have next to nothing in common. What do you think is going to happen? Your tappets will fail through association because your bike has 'Moto Guzzi' on the tank?

Jesus wept.

Heh! Ee tha’s a prickly bugger!

Sorry, i was reading the other post about the rocker arms wearing on our 2v machines and skipped over to read this similarly-themed thread. Whichever way you look at it, if you’ve a post 2000 guzz this seems to be an area to ‘keep a peeper on’.

• Like 1

At least you spelled my name correctly, but even I nearly hurled at the visual.   :wacko:

Bill

• Like 1

...And the 1400 in a "Sport" chassis? Really? I thought they were heavy cruiser mills . . . :blush:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2000974783262577&id=100000502240025&set=a.854976921195708.1073741832.100000502240025&source=48&__tn__=EHH-R

A V7 with 1400ccs wedged into it.

Actually I just looked at it for the first time. Yes, it's the Germans but it isn't a V7, its just another nasty big block Tonti frame lash up. While these things are a horrid and to my mind dangerous joke they do have the excuse that German type approval laws mean they aren't allowed to build anything with a decent, modern, frame so they have to keep shoehorning motors into ancient frames to get them road legal. I don't know whether the use of carbs, (Pass the bucket please!) is mandatory if you're doing this? I'd hope so because it's inexcuseable if it isn't.

Pete

Of course you'd be allowed to build something with a brand new frame. The downside however is that you need to meet all the requirements valid at the date the frame is produced and that is difficult to achieve in a shed. Sometimes even factories struggle.

If you take a frame from 70-ies, you need to meet noise/pollution requirements of the era and these were far less stringent than contemporary ones.

Opposite example is replacing frame on a new bike (i.e. after a crash) and salvaging the rest. Some guy was selling his 2015 Aprilia V4 for small change as a racetrack only bike - frame replaced but laws changed in the meantime, thus no longer "registrable". 

Germany is no country for choppers, kit cars and similar. People that insist on having them must have thick skin and wallets.

Building anything 'Non Standard' is never going to be cheap unless the improvements are simple bolt ons, (Like brakes, wheels, handlebars etc.) but in my opinion stuffing an engine that makes about 100hp and 70Ft/lbs of torque in a frame, and running that power through a driveline designed to take half the amount is not only foolish and idiotic, it's downright dangerous!

Sorry, but there are clowns out there claiming stupidly large power and torque outputs for the 8V engine that are simply not possible because of how the motor breathes and the laws of physics. Now if people are so hungry for attention that they will believe this shit that's fine. But don't for one second think that when you're talking smack down the pub anybody with even the tiniest amount of knowledge or understanding is going to either take you seriously.

I understand the crappy, limiting, unimaginative laws governing stuff in parts of Europe. It's one of the reasons why I find these bits of silliness so, well, silly. Rather than looking backwards to try and prove a point why not spend time arguing with the powers that be and lobbying for more freedom in design? If you can't get that? Move to somewhere that isn't quite so authoritarian and controlling!

Pete

• Like 1