2001 V11 Sport stalling problems

Vincez

My 2001 V11 has started an occasional stall problem when idling. After running for a while, it will sometimes stall when coming to a stop. It may also be hesitating sometimes while on steady throttle (or this could be my paranoia!). I was thinking of starting with replacing the fuel filter for a start. Would appreciate any other opinions. Thanks  

A clogged fuel filter usually shows symptoms at higher speeds, not idle. If the filter is clogged, it cannot pass enough fuel to keep up with high RPM needs. Maybe you should start with some fuel-system cleaner, as well as cleaning and lubricating your electrical connections (fuses, relays, wire-loom fasteners in the ignition circuit, etc.)

Docc's "Decent tune-up" would probably be a good idea too. All this you can do without replacing parts (although new spark plugs couldn't hurt).

It's worth doing a proper tune-up first as Scud recommends. Check all your fuses carefully--I had an intermittent stalling problem on an oilhead beemer that turned out to be a nigh invisible hairline crack in a fuse.

If the tune-up fails to resolve the issue I would look into the ignition system first. If it only misbehaves when hot perhaps the coils are going.

If it only misbehaves when hot perhaps the coils are going.

Can you explain why this is the case?

I can't explain why but I offer the suggestion from experience. I have had a couple bikes (including the beemer I mentioned above... everything was failing on that bike) whose coils would work properly when cold but act up when hot.

In any case, an intermittent stalling problem that is not caused by tune sounds to me to likely be electrical in nature, whether that is a bad connection (somewhere) or a fault in the ignition system. Worth looking into at least.  :huh2:

Mine did this forever. Turned out to be the basic tune was off. Start from the beginning and tune it again. Check all sensors and make sure that the connectors are clean and tight.

However, does the idle slowly drop when warming up, most of the time? That is probably the valves that need adjusting.

Sometimes, when coming to a stop after a hard run, mine will struggle to idle for a minute, then smooth out. I suspect the weight of my hand on the throttle is holding it open just slightly enough to confuse the ECU.

Now, if this happens, I need to blip the throttle a couple of times and it sorts itself out. When coming to a stop, I try to make sure the throttle is really closed.

Faulty coils acting up when hot have something to do with temperature and resistance. Not sure. Sounds right, though.

Heat is a coil's enemy. The insulation begins to break down. It's a common failure on aircraft coils. Starts up and runs fine until it's shut off and heat soaks a while, then won't fire or misfires. I don't think that is the OPs problem, though. I'd clean up fuse/relay/connectors then a good tuneup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do the tune up since that's the most reasonable point to start with. My (long-gone) Sport 1100i would stall at idle and any point between that and 4000 rpm as much as 15 times in a city block. I replaced almost everything I could think of but the last thing I changed was actually the culprit - a weak/worn timing chain tensioner.

Do the tune up since that's the most reasonable point to start with. My (long-gone) Sport 1100i would stall at idle and any point between that and 4000 rpm as much as 15 times in a city block. I replaced almost everything I could think of but the last thing I changed was actually the culprit - a weak/worn timing chain tensioner.

CARL!  Long time no see.

Merry Christmas to you.  Hope things are going well for you and yours.  So you got rid of the Sport?  They say the next National might be in New Mexico.  I hope make it, perhaps I'll see you?

John L

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar problem with my 2002 V11 Sport.

When changing down gears, mainly 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd, the bike will stall and lock the rear wheel.

Anyone else experiencing this rather scary problem?

When changing down gears, mainly 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd, the bike will stall and lock the rear wheel.

You could be dropping out a relay, especially Position #5 and/or Position #1 on early Sports. (What year is your Sport?)

See Relay Alternatives.

Also, perform a "Decent Tune-up" and let's see if that solves the scary trouble!

Kiwi_Roy has a couple test points that you can verify function of your Ignition Switch and other important switches: (Sidestand Switch/ Run Switch combination).

• Like 1

Thank you Docc.

My V11 is a 2002 model. To be honest I've had a lot of electrical issues with the Guzzi. I live in a very, very wet part of the world and the bike really doesn't like the damp climate.

I'll fit new relays, might as well do all five. Then a tune and see how we go.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

Welcome, Owen.. I'm having a hard time imagining an engine stalling and locking the rear wheel. Can you explain exactly what is happening?