Supplemental Voltage Regulator Ground

Scud

Uhh, you *do* have the supplementary ground wire, yes?

Truly. That and servicing the battery terminals and the main ground connection to the right rear of the gearbox.

This one:

IMG_2744.JPG

Considered that, but the "less bright" is the normal condition and if it was low voltage, I would have drained the battery long ago.  A ride with the voltmeter will clear the issue.  And no, AFAIK there is no supplemental ground (yet).

• No strip and splice. Make up a length of 14 gauge with rings on each end. Run from the regulator case to the timing chest. Clean all well and apply Vaseline®

Gimme a minute on the pix

You can see the terminus of the regulator case ground bottom center in this image on the timing chest (I have a frame ground there also):

IMG_2772.JPG

Here's a peek at the main ground behind the seat latch. Also a known issue. Don;t neglect it!

post-328-0-55955700-1381077517_thumb.jpg

Full size image available in this post:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18217&p=193510

We used to be able to count on Kiwi_Roy to post this image to remind us what happens if the V11 has to find its own ground paths:

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%206.54.3

(sorry, czakky! ;) )

I hadn't seen it mentioned so I wanted to add that the newer(2003+)? bikes with the new style, possibly Japanese regulator, there is no need or benefit to grounding the regulator case.

There is no continuity between the case and the regulator ground wires, so it seems, like Japanese systems and lots of others, that the regulator case was never meant to be part of the circuit.

On another related note, has anyone tried one of these voltage monitors? They look really cool. Tiny enough to fit about anywhere, auto dimming, really inexpensive too, about 20 bucks. I think I will order a few. Maybe I will put it in the steering head nut hole.

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

• Like 1

I hadn't seen it mentioned so I wanted to add that the newer(2003+)? bikes with the new style, possibly Japanese regulator, there is no need or benefit to grounding the regulator case.

There is no continuity between the case and the regulator ground wires, so it seems, like Japanese systems and lots of others, that the regulator case was never meant to be part of the circuit.

On another related note, has anyone tried one of these voltage monitors? They look really cool. Tiny enough to fit about anywhere, auto dimming, really inexpensive too, about 20 bucks. I think I will order a few. Maybe I will put it in the steering head nut hole.

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

This is cool! Just hook it to the battery and watch it?

You should be able to use any hot wire that doesn't have a big load on it. I would want it switched by the ignition.

The circuit that powers the gauge lights, city light, taillight and license light looks good, not too much load on it. It goes through 2 fuses and the ignition switch and about a mile of wiring so you would have to check the voltage drop. I will post a thread on the install when the thing shows up from the UK.

Edit: I realized that some of the non-US V11s might have a switch for the headlights and running lights. In that case you would have to tap into the circuit before the switch.