Supplemental Voltage Regulator Ground

Scud

This also gave me an excuse to play with my new ratcheting crimpers. OMG, they are so much better than the stamped steel ones. A real pleasure to use.

I'd like to get a look at those . . . .  :pic:  . . . .

Ya think? :grin:

Somebody mentioned the ratcheting crimpers a while back; I think it was Lucky Phil. Here they are, along with some related stuff that makes me a Goots-e-lectrician:

IMG_5641.jpg

The ratcheting crimpers black/yellow handle were my recent purchase, along with a box of assorted crimp-on terminals and a box assorted size/color heat-shrink.

You didn't ask, but also I pulled out my favorite wire stripper. This is an "automatic" or "self-adjusting" wire stripper. It clamps the wire, cuts the insulation, then pulls the insulation off in a clever series of movements from only only squeeze of the (red) handles.

And for comparison, the old tools, which have moved to the back of the drawer... possibly never to be used again.

• Like 2

Those pressed steel crimpers are miserable to use, get a pair of Klein 1005 like most electricians have.

https://www.amazon.ca/4-Inch-Crimping-Cutting-Insulated-Non-Terminals/dp/B0006M6Y5M/ref=sr_1_1/168-9876531-6889516?ie=UTF8&qid=1482785768&sr=8-1&keywords=klein+crimping+tool

I see Scuds about #5 oops they moved to #3 on the page, they look good too, probably make a nicer job of the insulated crimps   :oldgit:

Klein tools are pretty hard to beat.

The ratcheting crimpers that Scud has in the upper right of the photo are the best you can buy. There are different companies that market them . Some are sold in a kit form with different jaws . 

The ratcheting crimpers that Scud has in the upper right of the photo are the best you can buy. There are different companies that market them . Some are sold in a kit form with different jaws . 

Oh, I dunno.. these bad boys are pretty good.

Lario%2F007-5_zps1a2ccac9.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

Where did these come from ?

Swap meet at the national Antique Airplane fly in. About 20 bux. I also picked up a Snap On 1/4" drive "Torque meter" that's perfect for stretching the belts on a 4V for about the same price.  :grin:  :thumbsup:

Yes. I suppose so

There should be an understandable hierarchy of tool grades. Something like:

>HF & Chinee online :whistle:

>Local hardware store :mellow:

>Tool truck/ Professional Quality :luigi:

>Marine Grade B)

>Aviation Approved :sun:

>Space Program unobtanium-made :rasta:

• 4 months later...

Yes. I suppose so

There should be an understandable hierarchy of tool grades. Something like:

>HF & Chinee online :whistle:

>Local hardware store :mellow:

>Tool truck/ Professional Quality :luigi:

>Marine Grade B)

>Aviation Approved :sun:

>Space Program unobtanium-made :rasta:

I use this crimper extensively. Has never failed me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html

$15 not on sale.

image_13286.jpg

Although these are the ones I use the most.

GM Delphi Weatherpack Crimper Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K006QS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_f2pgzbY44M70R

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So, I did my 1st extended night ride on the Scura over the weekend.  I noticed that occasionally, my lights would get very bright. All of the lights, headlight, brake, gauge faces. This would happen randomly, no rhyme or reason that I could figure out.  They would stay bright for a few seconds to a few minutes.  Didn't seem to affect any other systems.

I'm guessing I have the bad regulator ground syndrome.  The theory being that without the ground, the regulator cannot establish the voltage reference and lets the full generator output pass.

Can anyone confirm this hypothesis with their own experience.

BTW, it has all new super duper relays, installed with di-electric grease (a.k.a. Vaseline) so don't go there.

BTW2, haven't had a chance to hook up a voltmeter and go for a ride.