1995 V11 Sport

nobleswood

I am an enthusiastic amateur and the 1100 Sport needs a knowledgeable mechanic.

Case in point; Chuck's sons bike was a 'Barn find'. It's a beautiful thing now.  :notworthy:

A couple of winter's ago on the WildGuzzi forum, Unkempt kept us entertained over the lousy weather as he took lesson's at Chuck's Home for the Mechanically Illiterate. I learned many a detail then.

I'm curious, Mr Roper was of the opinion that the gearbox needed to be rebuilt on the craigslist 1100 Sport. Is that a common problem with those models ?

Tim,

My garage is so full that I'm keeping my Griso over at my neighbors. Need to build an extension, a bigger Man cave.  :thumbsup:

I pity the owners of UJM's etc; no need to tinker & adjust. It's the main reason for my beer night with my neighbor :drink:  :bier:  He's lusting after a mid 80's BMW, again returning to biking after a long hiatus.

The Sport C's had straight cut gearboxes but also lacked a Cush drive in the rear wheel and used the then new 'Stacked Washer' face cam shock absorber spring and only three dog engagement rather than the earlier six or later five. This meant that the driveline was very unforgiving and the distance in wheel rotation between 'Power Off' and 'Power On' is much higher.

The long and the short of it is that the gearboxes beat themselves to bits! It's usually third that goes first as it works twice as hard as the other pinions as that is where the primary drive goes into the box. After that it's usually fifth and then a crap-shoot!

The boxes that last best are the ones that are thrashed mercilessly! Baby them and they're history!

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The V11 Cafe Sport is down with a broken fuel fitting. 13 years of ethanol? So the 95 Sport has a new clutch and is being prepped for re-release. It will be interesting to feel the differences after 4 years on the Cafe.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Pete. Leaving now for another bike instruction session but will take a pic later this afternoon. Do you have a source or IPB of the Aprilia parts?

Joe

Since I'm no longer an 'Official' service agent I've lost access to the Piaggio parts system but I do have one of the crappy plastic elbows in my spares stash at work. I'll try and remember to get the part # off it on Tuesday. If I forget? Feel free to nag.

Pete

Hi Pete. I found some fittings on the AF1 site. They are listed for the Camponard, Tuono and others. Still not shure how they would seal up with the bottom plate on the pump module. Anywho, if you find the numbers, let me know and also a Roper plate for the Sport and V11 if available, please.

Joe