Knights design footpeg and Shift linkage

Colorobo

There is enough travel in the stock linkage. adjusted last night and did a short spin. everything seem ok . At least it wont be hitting the starter cover on the up shift like it was. That and a MRA screen new wires replaced some evap hose under the tank that was rotted, Shock proof heavy in the tranny. All that is left is tires in FEB and Im ready for spring summer. I don't Ride in the cold anymore I have come to the conclusion that I am getting old. Happy NEW YEAR>

I discussed this (lever, linkage efficiency)  last year with this older mechanic about brake levers on drum brake mechanisms . He told me , the best brake effort is when the  pulled brake lever is at 90 degrees when fully applied . 

I do not know how much is helped or hurt when shift linkage is lengthened / shortened ? 6 mm of length will make a BIG difference of lever position .

This is true but only because a drum brake system has lost motion due to the shoe clearance to the drum and some mechanical play they needs to be addressed before the fiction surface actually applies force to the drum. The shift mechanism doesn't really have this issue to any extent.

90 deg is ideal for the shifter input arm but it's not critical within reasonable limits.

Ciao

I discussed this (lever, linkage efficiency) last year with this older mechanic about brake levers on drum brake mechanisms . He told me , the best brake effort is when the pulled brake lever is at 90 degrees when fully applied .

I do not know how much is helped or hurt when shift linkage is lengthened / shortened ? 6 mm of length will make a BIG difference of lever position .

This is true but only because a drum brake system has lost motion due to the shoe clearance to the drum and some mechanical play that needs to be addressed before the fiction surface actually applies force to the drum. The shift mechanism doesn't really have this issue to any extent.

90 deg is ideal for the shifter input arm but it's not critical within reasonable limits.

Ciao

I was throwing this out for general knowledge or discussion .

Linkages with same lever lengths should have the same relationship on their shafts. i.e. they should appear as a parallelogram from the side . You will get the same input / output from lever movement .

• Like 1

I was throwing this out for general knowledge or discussion .

Linkages with same lever lengths should have the same relationship on their shafts. i.e. they should appear as a parallelogram from the side . You will get the same input / output from lever movement .

Took a while to dredge this one up:

post-328-0-40612300-1402792497_thumb.jpg

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=12643

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18593&p=198257

By "not critical within reasonable limits," are we thinking

I mean real exaggerated angles . The minor adjustments we are making w/the (longer) shift arm extension and changes in rod length are not going to cause any harm.

• Like 1