looking to purchase 2002 V11 LeMans

PDBoulder

:luigi:

Thank you for the comments. The color is Champagne. He originally wanted $5500 for it but is willing to take $4600. I saw a beautiful black 03 this last year for far less but with more miles. I'm trying not let my emotions make a decision for me.

If you "...love the looks and the ride of the LeMans..." too late to eliminate emotions. Get the darn thing. The price seems decent..and you won't regret it...much.  :luigi:  :luigi:

Not sure whether Roy is using US dollars or Canadian "dollarettes"... but $8,000 US is too much. I've seen the Ohlins-equipped models sell for far less than that.

The 2002 LeMans was available in a Red/Grey and a Champagne that could look sort of sandy or silver depending on the lighting.

Yes I keep forgetting our $ is staring up from the bowl.

Thank you for all the comments. The bike comes with no accessories. Seller originally wanted $5500, and I offered $4,000 after much consideration. I do figure the low mileage is worth something. I do love the way the bike rides, the wind screen must be at some perfect level for my height because I experienced very little helmet buffeting. I rode a Ducati ST4S, It was nice, but the screen was at the wrong level, I had bad buffeting. Now that I’m convinced I want the LeMans, I would like to hold out for a 03-05 in either black or red.

The Eldorado…… It took me about two years, a LOT of Aerokroil and a lot of patience. I’m now on a first name bases with the folks at MG cycle, Harpers and the machine shop here at work. The bike is great, but has its limitations. The bike is great in town and on back roads in the mountains, but speed limits in Colorado are high, 60-75 on most major roads. At 75 the Eldo is working hard and without a wind screen, one need to hold on tight. 

IMG_0471.JPG

• Like 3

Sweet Eldo! :thumbsup:

The LeMans will be very happy at those speeds (and more! watch out!) :o

The '03-'04 red or black are nice machines, the best sorted of the series. AFAIK, no 2005 V11 has ever been reported to exist. *Perhaps* the Scura R, but I'm not sure anyone has actually ever seen one and it, too, may have a 2004 VIN.

Happy hunting!

(Keep an eye on this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18375&page=19&do=findComment&comment=216130 )

The '03-'04 red or black are nice machines, the best sorted of the series. AFAIK, no 2005 V11 has ever been reported to exist. *Perhaps* the Scura R, but I'm not sure anyone has actually ever seen one and it, too, may have a 2004 VIN.

Happy hunting!

(Keep an eye on this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18375&page=19&do=findComment&comment=216130 )

Must be oldtimers.. I was thinking the Coppa was 05. Guess I was wrong.

Happy hunting!

Must be oldtimers.. I was thinking the Coppa was 05. Guess I was wrong.

Even our own "breakdown of model year changes" thread  says through 2005, and the Scura R 2005-2006.

I could have my recomollection all sideways, but I don't recall anyone confirming a 10th digit in the VIN later than 2004. :huh2:

that's not to say some V11 may have been sold as 2005, but it seems they were out of production by then (?)

I would like to hold out for a 03-05 in either black or red.

The Eldorado…… It took me about two years, a LOT of Aerokroil and a lot of patience. I’m now on a first name bases with the folks at MG cycle, Harpers and the machine shop here at work. 

For Moto Guzzis, what's more iconic than a red LeMans? I mean, besides a black Eldorado... or an original green V7 Sport? And wouldn't they make nice stable-mates?

Springtime will probably bring a few more bikes out for sale. For the record, I paid a bit less than $3,500 for my red LeMans with unknown mileage, and it took a lot of work to get it in order. Low-miles and unmodified is worth a premium - especially if you intend to keep it a long time and ride it a lot. $4,000 for a low-mileage Champagne would be hard to pass-up... what to do? what to do?   :huh2:

I think that if I someday decide to do a full restoration of a vintage bike that something in the V700, Eldorado, Ambassador genre would be my choice. Yours looks great.

$4k for a lo mile good condition '02 is a good deal. Especially if you have some confidence in the ownership, and it's nearby. You won't be "stealing" it but it's a fair price. The bubbled paint on an '02 is not a big deal. Easy to correct, or better yet, forget about. You will be somewhat lucky to find an equal condition '03-'04 for anywhere near that. It could happen though, so good luck.

Guzzis depreciate rapidly, stay stable for a long period, then slowly increase in value if it's a "collectable" Guzzi. IMHO, any LeMans is.

I'd say at really low mileage and not cut up, 3500-5500, depending on actual condition and accessories.

Crap. Mileage affects value? :blink:

I have a 2000 Mandello Rosso with 59,000KM on it, for a Guzzi would you call that big mileage or just run in.  She runs, idles, rattles the clutch and generally sounds just like the V11 models should. IMO having had Guzzi with over 200k on them and the bores still as unmarked as new, I wonder at the concern so many have at "big mileage" machines. What do you call BIG MILEAGE for a Guzzi?

The bike has had 3 owners and I felt 4K was a fair price, he wants 4600. I will keep looking for a red or black bike, which is what I really want. As far as buying nearby, the advantage is no cost to see it, but I'm looking forward to a vacation once the weather warms up a little, and I think it would be fun to go somewhere, pick it up and ride it back to Colorado. I bought my Eldo in Kansas City and had a wonderful time riding it back home.

That sounds like a good decision - especially if your heart is set on red or black. You might place a "want to buy" ad over at Wild Guzzi. I remember a guy recently having a hard time selling a Nero Corsa. Maybe he still has it and a "wanted" ad would get his attention. If I could set aside my own irrational enthusiasm for my Scura, I would say the Nero Corsa is probably the most desirable model of the whole V11 series. You get the refinements from the end of the production run of the V11s, you get full Ohlins suspension, a super-cool paint job, and the fairing, which you seem to like.

Fly and ride is fun.  :thumbsup:

I know of that Champagne V11 and it's pretty pristine.. the owner (Alan) flew in to Mpls and I drove him out to Wilmar Mn to buy it.. He then rode straight home to Co.

when we started it up, oh my lord that sound..GLORIOUS! I was kicking myself for not being the buyer.

w/under 10k miles the price is right in my book and if I had $$, I'd get it..