Best Relay

docc

Docc - I appreciate your persistence here. Although I am getting a little overwhelmed by all the specifications and part numbers...

So... the link you just posted from onlinecomponents... these are the best 5-pin relays we can currently buy?

Docc - I appreciate your persistence here. Although I am getting a little overwhelmed by all the specifications and part numbers...

So... the link you just posted from onlinecomponents... these are the best 5-pin relays we can currently buy?

I believe these OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 are definitely the best relays for our application (double the ratings of everything else). I would replace all five, but at the minimum run one in Position #5. For those with early (1999-2001) V11 also one in Position#1.

Trouble with the onlinecomponents link I posted is the $50 minimum order! I went ahead and placed an order to test the vendor's reliability and inquired about waiving the minimum.

(every time I think I have this solved . . . :bbblll: )

I believe these are definitely the best relays for our application (double the ratings of everything else). I would replace all five.

Trouble with the link I posted is the $50 minimum order!

(every time I think I have this solved . . . :bbblll: )

So you think these are even better than the Omrons you've previously recommended? 25 relays at $2.84 is $71 - that's enough for 5 bikes. I'll send a PM.

I've been running the OMRON G8HN for nine years/ almost 50,000 miles with no problems. Yet, the "N" is still only rated 10a/20a (unless you can find the G8HN that ends in RH), and these G8HE are clearly rated double the normal G8HN.  Especially good for Position#5 where it is moving ~22.5 amps. And in Position #1 in the early V11.

I'm expecting them to run cooler and will take infrared readings when the time comes and compare to my previous findings posted in the "Hot Relays" thread. It's not perfect science, but will be *very interesting* :grin:

So, if there's a minimum order, I'd imagine a group buy is in the cards.. the last time I hooked up guzzi diag, there was a stored injection relay fault. Let's cure this relay problem once and for all.

I appreciate all the education, testing, and patience sorting this out. Now that we've identified the relay with an adequate rating, perhaps someone can locate other sources.

Again, you can use the 4-pin, form A, SPST relay in Position #5.

The 8T2T-14B192-BA is the engineering # Ford assigns to ( it is printed, engraved, etc. on) a part when it is manufactured. The Ford part # is 8T2Z-14N089-B . It retails for $17 and change . More than you can buy from other sources we have been discussing here. It is good to know if you get in a bind you can get one from any Ford dealer .

• Like 1

Digi-Key has the Omron relay available.  662 units.  Digi-Key #Z5645-ND, $4.37ea 1-9 units.

The datasheet is also available on the page as a link.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12/Z5645-ND/2755412

Thanks, bb! I knew if someone else looked, we would find other sources. No idea why I couldn't find them there. :homer:

Hmm.  The datasheet is poorly written, but the G8HE relay specs are for a switching, not continuous application.  3 seconds on, 4 seconds off.

The G8HN relay is rated 20A and 10A continuous in the standard power version.

Digi-Key sorts the G8HE relay into the 2A category, for what that's worth.

Unfortunately, 0 units available for G8HN from Digi-Key.

Reading the datasheet, it you want the most honkin' relay, the G8HN-1C4T-RH fits the bill. Make sure it's RH and not RJ. Rated continuous carry at 35A and 20A.  Easy to find this part number on ebay. It's apparently common on Triumph, Honda and several other makes.

• Thanks 1

Like I said, very poorly written datasheet.  Steady state could refer to "continuous", but they don't use that word.  Or steady state could refer to the amount of current after the inrush that occurs for an unspecified time.

The "Min. Carry / Switching Current" spec at 1A is also wierd, There's no reason to spec a Min current, only a Max current.  Which leads me to believe that it should say Max current is 1A and that would be the continuous value.

But hard to tell with that crap datasheet.

Operating time / Release time is how long it takes the mechanical arm to switch from one contact to the other.  Operating time is switching from NC to NO contact, release time is switching from NO to NC contact.

It will connect the NO contact as long as the coil is energized.

bbolesaz makes a good point about the G8HN that ends in RH. If you are running that OMRON already, or have a source for the G8HN-1C2T-RH, there is no reason to go further because it already rated 20a/35a continuous.

My old G8HN don't have the "H." (high current).