Best Relay

docc

Well, since the hammer is big enough, must be an electrical problem . . .

0715211904.jpg

I suspect the difference from the V11 is the middle relay (where that turn signal flasher is) is not present on the 1100 Sport-i (Neutral/"sidestand" relay that is triggered by the Neutral Switch on the V11 6speeder).

Otherwise, I wonder about the functions on those four, front to back: Start; Lights/etc; ECU; Fuel/Ignition ?

And, if so, Have you administered the "Livin' Easy Test?"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I didn't know they sold relays by the pound.   

I'll take the well marbled ribeye B), take the cannoli:wub: and leave the relay.  :bbblll:

More like "by the gram." Notice how the vintage triple beam balances come out . . .

:huh:   :ph34r:   :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Pressureangle,, those are Omron's on Ebay,, Form C with made in USA ? And they weigh ?
Mine, sure US made, weigh 20gram.
Cheers Tom. 49730432c6f84cec698839aa60896ec6.jpg

Sent fra min SM-A505FN via Tapatalk

You could get in trouble for owning a scale like that !

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, gstallons said:

You could get in trouble for owning a scale like that !

Relays might be sold by the gram, but not springs! Sold by the each!

Just beware if the "first one's free!" B)  :o  :huh:

IMG_6417.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

More like "by the gram." Notice how the vintage triple beam balances come out . . .

:huh:   :ph34r:   :whistle:

*strictly* for balancing engine components. and small electrical devices. and such. :rasta:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

*strictly* for balancing engine components. and small electrical devices. and such. :rasta:

I hear ya !

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

No matter what, those true High Current G8HE Form-C relays will serve well.  If there is any "micro-ISO relay" with equal or better capacity: bring it on! :luigi:

It is always good to know which of the relays in our stack are the most stressed, and the least. With this, we know which to switch around (if needed).

• Like 2

A form has only normally open contacts

C form has normally open and normally closed contacts.

I think it may have been @docc  who posted on this somewhere here. The A form can be used on 2 or 3 locations but some of the relays use the normally closed contacts.

So you can replace some but not all with the A form.

The downside to this is not all the relays become interchangeable

Looking at Carl Allison's wiring diagram for a V11

ECU, Headlight, Sidestand and Injection relay A form is suitable

The Starter Relay requires C form

Given the Injection Relay and possibly the ECU and Headlight relays seem to be loaded highest I would purchase A form for the locations that are suitable and use whatever else I could get for the other location.

At least that's what I'd do and consider it an upgrade, using something like the Panasonic relay for the other one

Let somebody else confirm that though

EDITED I INITIALLY GOT THIS A BIT WRONG NOW CORRECTED

“Form A” is the 4-pin and suitable for all V11 positions except the front/ #1/ Start Relay which requires the Form C/5-pin.

The conventional wisdom has been to simply source all Form C/5-pin as they can be swapped into any position needed. 

If I were to mix Form A and Form C in my relay stack, I would mark them in some way to avoid swapping a Form A/4-pin into Position #1.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your answer. I am learning something new every day. A few years ago I ordered 100ea. G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 from Online Components - and I have sold almost all off them to my Guzzi-friends in Norway. (I had to buy for high quantity to have them send for a reasonable shipping cost.) Now I wanted more of the same relays, and searching for Omron G8HE, I found that Online Components could deliver, so I bought another 100ea. - without checking the rest of the specification. Now these new 100ea. "A = 4-pins" are on their way. I am now happy to be able to inform my new "customers about the use of the A=4-pins and the C= 5-pins versions. Rolf

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I can NOT understand why there would be 120 different relays that would be in one package ? Make one 4 terminal and one 5 terminal relay w/the highest A rating and be done with it !

Good thing about the V11 relay blocks, 5-terminal (Form C) relays fit in every position and either the wide blade or narrow blade relays work equally well.

The High Current OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 Relays have the amperage rating (on both the normally open and normally closed contacts) to handle the V11's requirements.

• Like 1

And the extra blade will do nothing , because there is no terminal in the other positions , You could run 5 pin relays in all positions and be happy . 

• Like 1