Best Relay

docc

Thanks for the offer, Mikko! That's very nice of you, but I've talked to a buddy who has a US address and he is going to take care of the shipping for me. But thanks again! Or, if Mikko is Finnish, kiitos!

• 1 month later...

You can't eBay ? Read my heresy on the automotive ( marine actually ) relay in series to the OEM starter relay on the V11 . This keeps all the solenoid current off the factory EVERYTHING on the bike . 

14 minutes ago, Flooky said:

Yeah even on e bay cant find omrons, rang Omron uk who said it was discontinued. The only ones I can find come from china and I thought it might be a copy. So I ordered Panasonic ones.

One member found these to be comparable to the High Current OMRON: Britax RM4-1235R high current relays.

Or, what about getting them from Rolf Halvorson in Norway?

After spending the morning searching and calling .... the hoarders and profiters are the only ones that have the OMRON relay.

I did find a fellow in Michigan on eBay that has some....waiting on a response from him. It looks like this relay was used in a lot of Chrysler 

products ... have not searched that aspect of it yet. What ever the outcome, they will not be cheap compared to previous years.

Seems like 10 bucks would get you 5 relays from PyroDan.....these are likely to be 10 bucks Each !!! And no telling what the mark-up 

will be if a local Jeep/Chrysler actually has some.

upward and onward

56 minutes ago, andy york said:

After spending the morning searching and calling .... the hoarders and profiters are the only ones that have the OMRON relay.

I did find a fellow in Michigan on eBay that has some....waiting on a response from him. It looks like this relay was used in a lot of Chrysler 

products ... have not searched that aspect of it yet. What ever the outcome, they will not be cheap compared to previous years.

Seems like 10 bucks would get you 5 relays from PyroDan.....these are likely to be 10 bucks Each !!! And no telling what the mark-up 

will be if a local Jeep/Chrysler actually has some.

upward and onward

Are Olinecomponents.com out to ?  If they are out,  send some smoke signals,,, might be help from far away. Rolf Halvorsen or the writer.

Cheers tom.

2 hours ago, Flooky said:

Yeah even on e bay cant find omrons, rang Omron uk who said it was discontinued. The only ones I can find come from china and I thought it might be a copy. So I ordered Panasonic ones.

Have you checked Onlinecomponents.com ? If you dont find anyone close, 2 guys up here in the pile of rocks might help.

Cheers tom.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:30 PM, Flooky said:

Are the Panasonic ones no good ? 

That's a great question. It depends. The Panasonic (GEI, Tyco, Bosch, etc) are certainly not rated for the actual current draw on Relay#5/Fuel+Ignition. The trouble is using a 20 amp NO contact for a 22.5 amp draw. Turns out the NO contact (the higher amp rating of the two shown for any relay) is the limiting factor in Relay#2/Headlight+much more. (And, in early V11 harnesses, Relay#1/Starter's NC contact as well.)

I've even seen trouble with lower rated (not "High Current") OMRON after sustained use. If, and as long as, you can source true, well made High Current 5-pin relays, it is well worth the trouble. 

The Panasonic are well made, but under rated for Position#5. Carry spares and learn the signs of relay failure

10 hours ago, footgoose said:

what's the verdict on sealed vs not sealed relays, irrespective of brand.

A non-issue compared to securing a true high current rating. You can always seal them yourself  (epoxy the case to the bottom).