Best Relay

docc

Thanks for finding the product on DigiKey. Kiwi_Roy put us onto them years ago and they are great to deal with.

I try to avoid posting Amazon or ebay seller links because they are so volatile and dry up/ go dead. DigiKey is a reliable supplier with no minimum order. Thanks, again, bbolesaz! :thumbsup:

Please do this simple *easy livin' test:rasta:  (continuity from Fuse5 to Relay#1) on your V11 and post results , and let's see if we can nail down where the wiring may be different or may have changed.

No continuity on my bike.

It has 3 in the VIN number, but looks like an 02 model.

Continuity.JPGRelays.JPG

• Like 1

brlawson has confirmed that his 2000 Sport ain't livin' easy neither :blink:

At least, that's the way Alabamans spake t' Tennesseans . . . :whistle:

Anyone with a 2001 willing to test Fuse5 -> Relay#1?

*Best* relay for the V11 has been the High-Current OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 , but out of production and hard to source. [rated 20a N.C./ 35a N.O.]

>EDIT/ July 2021: Members have reported success sourcing the OMRON from various ebay sellers (see page 12 of this thread).

> EDIT/ October 2021: a promising alternative has been discovered by @p6x:                                      CIT A11CSQ12VDC1.5R        Data sheet     [rated 20 / 30 ]

> EDIT/ March 2023: another High Current contender from @Speedfrog:

Picker Components PC782-1C-12S-R-X      Data Sheet   [rated 25 / 30 ]

[ Form A (4-pin) relays can be used in positions #2-#5.

Only position #1, front/ Start Relay, requires the Form C (5-pin). ]

The prevailing wisdom says: use The Very Best 5-Pin relays in all five positions,

.  .  .  carry extras for your riding buddies that didn't get the memo .  .  .  :nerd::luigi::mg:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

brlawson has confirmed that his 2000 Sport ain't livin' easy neither :blink:

At least, that's the way Alabamans spake t' Tennesseans . . . :whistle:

Anyone with a 2001 willing to test Fuse5 -> Relay#1?

Thats the way my 2001 is wired. Notice how it bypasses the ignition switch, this bike will never suffer from Startus Interuptus.

Earlier%20VIIs_zpswdd2nbgh.jpg

A couple of years later they used Fuse 5 for the headlight and used Fuse 4 through the ignition switch to try and feed the start relay, I'm guessing this improved on charging at the expense of reliable starting.

Later%20VIIs_zpsqkmxjhgd.jpg

Sorry about the sketch, you can check it from Carl's

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2004_V11_Sport_Catalytic.gif

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 5:45 PM, docc said:

*Best* relay commonly available for the V11 appears to be the OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12

Available here (as of August 2020):

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

Also, click this link to find it from various suppliers:

https://www.findchips.com/search/G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12

Use it in Position #5 (in the back of the row) for the Fuel Injection/Coils/Fuel pump.

A "good quality" relay should be fine in all other positions unless your V11 fails the *Livin' Easy* Test (early V11) and you should use this high capacity relay in Position #1 as well.

There is some prevailing wisdom that speaks to using The Very Best 5-Pin relays in all five positions, and carry extras for your riding buddies that didn't get the memo .  .  .  :nerd::luigi::mg:

With these now being the best available.... are they better than the NLA G8HN-1C2T-R DC12? I see minor differences in the spec sheet but I can't decipher them.  I ask because I recently installed the latter in both my LM's.

On 1/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, footgoose said:

*Best* relay commonly available for the V11 appears to be the OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12

Use it in Position #5 (in the back of the row) for the Fuel Injection/Coils/Fuel pump.

A "good quality" relay should be fine in all other positions unless your V11 fails the *Livin' Easy* Test (early V11) and you should use this high capacity relay in Position #1 as well.

There is some prevailing wisdom that speaks to using The Very Best 5-Pin relays in all five positions, and carry extras for your riding buddies that didn't get the memo .  .  .  :nerd::luigi::mg:

With these now being the best available.... are they better than the NLA G8HN-1C2T-R DC12? I see minor differences in the spec sheet but I can't decipher them.  I ask because I recently installed the latter in both my LM's.

For continuous current, the G8HN are fine in all positions EXCEPT #5.

G8HN OMRON and the latest Panasonc are rated 10 amps NC/ 20 amps NC for continuous current. *Probably* fine in Positions #1-4.

G8HE (high current) OMRON is rated 20 amps NC/ 35 amps NO for continuous current.

All V11 should use the high current relay in Position #5.  And in Position #1 on 1999-2001 V11 that *fail* the "Livin' Easy Test": (continuity from Fuse 5 to Relay #1).

G8HE OMRON is rated 20 amps NC/ 35 amps NO for continuous current (about double the G8HN).

On 1/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, footgoose said:

I would heed what Docc says here as the No.5 on the 2002 LM failed now and again to activate the fuel pump. You would hear the Relay click but no go. So until the more heavy duty relay shows up I switched the No.4 and No.5 around and for now all is good. But I am not going on any trips lol. Just near my house and trailer use. :)

For the record, I did not make this stuff up myself. This is a compendium of years of observations, measurements, failures, and ongoing input. I learned all this from you guys (much from Kiwi_Roy!), 100,000 miles, and twelve Spine Raids. I'm on my sixth generation relay set.

But, it ain't over yet! : Last time I measured the temperature of OMRON G8HN Relay#5, it was ~147ºF. If it is not materially improved with this double rated G8HE OMRON, I will be surprised (and, perhaps, a little disappointed).

At which point, all of the stops will be pulled out . . .

gallery_328_223_568267.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh, no-no-no!

My clever, young son considered my project and sent me a selection of heat sinks typically used on computer components. :nerd:

Now to try and make some decent science of the IR temperature readings. I've already seen that the heat sinks can extend aft of the #5 Relay without fouling the seat pan.