Best Relay

docc

So I got my new relays, they look and feel pretty solid. Made in the USA is nice too. The blades on the switch contacts (85 and 86, aka 5 and 4) are skinnier than the others... This is what yours are like? I doubt it's an issue but thought I'd ask/mention it. I am going to use these on relay pos. 1 and 5 and use my GEI units on the other that don't require as much beefiness.

• Like 2

Yes skinny blades on 85,86 & 87a is standard if you look at the sockets they won't take a full size pin

85 & 86 are the coil connections only pass about 100 milliamps

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Did the Livin' Easy   :rasta: -test on relay #1 on my 2001 V11 Mandello Rosso (not the Limited Edition) and.... It is not living the easy life!

So I replaced the relay with a high current one.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When this discussion reaches half time , what is the best relay to put in each position ?

Good question, that are the best relays, where can I buy them , and can we replace all of then with the same relay? 

When this discussion reaches half time , what is the best relay to put in each position ?

Good question, that are the best relays, where can I buy them , and can we replace all of then with the same relay? 

GILLPUT, scroll to the top of any page in this thread and see the post tagged "Best Answer."  You should find the answers to your good questions there.: 1) which relay, 2) where to get them, and 3) yes, use the same one in all five positions under the seat on the right-rear.

GILL-  order from Pyro Dan,  He's inexpensive and has good quality.  You can get the whole mess for $20 or so.  About 1/3 the cost of auto parts store. Then keep an old one for a spare, along with your traveling patch kit and fuses..  

http://www.dpguzzi.com

Dear me and for goodness sake. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but at this point in our well developed knowledge base and reliable testing of these simple units, why would anyone choose to run cheap Chinese relays? Or even good relays that are under rated for the actual loads? 

Nothing against pyrodan. He's a good guy. Yet, there is no one in the world that has compiled more data and experience on V11 relays than the members of this forum.  For those with the inclination, the rationale is all detailed in this thread with links to other testing.

The High Current OMRON GH8E are, what, about $25US for all five? 

• Like 3

Ok, did my best to read this information on relays. And it sounds like (I have a 2002 LeMans) 5 pin relays can be used in all slots. So, what are the best relays to purchase and where can I get them? Thanks. 

Ok, did my best to read this information on relays. And it sounds like (I have a 2002 LeMans) 5 pin relays can be used in all slots. So, what are the best relays to purchase and where can I get them? Thanks. 

1) Scroll to the top of this page.

2) In the green shaded post, click on the blue text link for "digikey"

3) On their website, change quantity to 5 before ordering.

(I see they are $4.37 each and recall that Digikey doesn't overcharge for shipping.)

1) Scroll to the top of this page.

2) In the green shaded post, click on the blue text link for "digikey"

3) On their website, change quantity to 5 before ordering.

(I see they are $4.37 each and recall that Digikey doesn't overcharge for shipping.)

Thanks, Much appreciated. Will order 5.

Thanks folks, got them on order. Appreciate the help. 

• Like 1

Gill, I have owned 2 2002's and had relays fail once in one and twice in the other. All in position 5. It's the fuel pump. One time it was an interesting 'partial fail' that cooled off and let me get her started, only to fail after 2 min riding. None of the newer relays have failed me. Keep your old ones and carry a couple with you just in case.

• Like 2