I haven't contributed here in a while, haven't been able to ride for the last couple seasons, so I live my life vicariously through you guys. Had to sell my bike due to $$$ needs for wife's health followed by me pulling my right bicep off the elbow. Luckily, during pre-operative testing they found a bigger issue, beginning for me what will hopefully be the worst week of my life.

Monday- I am diagnosed with an aggressive, terminal blood cancer, in 3rd stage. I have no noticeable symptoms...THIS CANNOT BE RIGHT...Average life expectancy 2-7 more years IF FOUND IN THE FIRST STAGE. Now THAT'S a kick in the balls...

Tuesday- My company's founder died. Now his kids, who aren't 1st hand knowledgeable about our work, own it.

Thursday- My Dad dies unexpectedly....WTF!?! And of course, he heard my diagnosis, that still kills me.

Saturday-Sunday- wife's continuing health issues put her in hospital, it will turn into surgery.

I just turned 53 this December. I have 14 and 11 year old kids with needs, graduations, weddings, etc...Everyone around me is moving to floorboard effin' cruisers, I want clip ons, pegs, screw your 700 lb land yacht! I can still camp weekends with a tank bag, sleep wherever, I'm too young for this shit...

BUT, we live in an amazing time. Well into our last century, simple infections killed many commonly. NOW, The DNA/genome project has led to me getting drugs, specific to MY cancer, for the first time in mankind's history. Two weeks from today, I "bubble boy it" for the second time for an autologous (I provide my own) stem cell transplant. My wife continues to deal with her issues/recuperation, like a real trooper. I'd rather have what I have then to deal w/ her day to day struggles.

SO...It seems obvious. It is said so often it almost becomes perfunctory, blasé. And every tragedy has it's own unique obstacles...

Stay strong, ask for and accept help, Pray, and NEVER QUIT FIGHTING.

Best of luck for you, and everyone of us who prove daily that getting old ain't for sissies. Me, I don't count on luck, I pray a lot, and try to live by this mantra,

"I never heard of Multiple Myeloma before, but it never met ME, either. We go in a room for a few weeks together. I walk out, ALONE."

Hope to meet any and all of you out riding sometime in the foreseeable future, S.H.

Hey Savage, I just read about your situation,and know there are people praying for you and your family, God Bless you,and thank you and everyone for their kind responses.

I visit for the forum for info on my bike and I get great wisdom and humility. 

Life is tough, never assume anything.  Thank you for sharing your travails, we are listening and do hear and sympathize for you.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for sharing your stories - it's what got me motivated to go in and get checked. I'd been putting off the colonoscopy for two years (I'm 52 now). They removed two polyps (one small, one large) and said they probably saved my life. Now, instead of waiting 10 years, I need to go for another in 3 years. The procedure was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Two days out of life to possibly extend it by many years is a fair deal in my book.

• Like 3

Thanks again for sharing your stories - it's what got me motivated to go in and get checked. I'd been putting off the colonoscopy for two years (I'm 52 now). They removed two polyps (one small, one large) and said they probably saved my life. Now, instead of waiting 10 years, I need to go for another in 3 years. The procedure was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Two days out of life to possibly extend it by many years is a fair deal in my book.

Good for you, Scud. For whatever reason, model makers at GM have a very high incidence of colon cancers. I've had many colonoscopies over the years. No *serious* polyps yet..

Hi All

As of this writing I can say that Doug is in a hospice and as per usual in great spirits.......considering. I have been visiting him almost daily just to hang out and chat. Doug is one of the true first class gentleman our sport has known. A true ambassador and enthusiast that represents all of us as motorcyclists in the very best light. We met when he purchased my 2000 V11 Sport from Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary some 10 years ago (Bought the V11 back 5 years ago lol). Sometimes you meet someone and just realize immediately that you're going to be friends with this person for life. Doug is the kind of guy who made a hand shake his bond....Old school all the way. We bought and sold many things to and from each other with nothing but hand shakes and just regular old cheques (No certified cheques or bank drafts or lawyers needed)That is the case with Doug and I. In the end I feel the true magic of these motorcycles and sport that we love is that they bring like minded people together that might not have otherwise ever met. I feel truly privileged to have met Doug and his family and share some great experiences. Sadly, when the time comes he will be greatly missed. His dedication to his wife and her illness as well as to his whole family while dealing with his own illness has been a life changing inspiration to me. A new benchmark in selflessness has been set. Anyways......... I just wanted to touch base on the forum and give an up to the minute update on Doug. One of the truly GOOD GUYS...........

Best wishes

Francesco

• Like 3