Possible solution to old cramped knees

not-fishing

Since I'm one of the "Duck & Cover" generation and new to V11 LeMans I didn't pay heed to those who grouch about cramped knees.  I did 13+ hrs in one day on my Griso.

Well now I understand and suffer.  So far my longest V11 ride is 3+ hrs.  The clip-ons don't bother me, the reach/lean doesn't bother me but being of stouter build with thicker legs my knees bother me.

My test solution is to go retro with a 70's approach.  Rather than lower the pegs, raise the seat.  To do this I found:

Temp_LH_Colors.jpg?255Of course I have to get it in the longest shag possible for maximum height.

My first short ride shows that it does help and if necessary I might add a 1/2" pad.  

Soon as the weather clears enough a 4+ hour ride should tell me if I'm going in the right direction....

Mark

• Like 1

Back when I was a young whippersnapper of 60 or so, I found that Glucosomine with MSM (MSM is used on race horse's knees).. Costco sells it.. helped my knees. I do it every day, and have for freakin ever. Works for me.

Of course the other solution is to spend some time at the gym and general exercise including some Yoga and Pilates to specifically maintain your flexability, suppleness and maintain core strenght as you age. Works well for me.

I sat at a table at a gathering once and listened to 2 people go on for 30 min about how bad their knees were and how replacements were on the cards. I also clocked the fact that both were at least 30kg ( 65lbs) overweight and had been for years. Go and pick up 30kg sometime and imagine that weigh going through each knee plus the shock loading for the 5 or 6000 steps you take each day. I said nothing of course because they wouldnt have gotten the point anyway.

Ciao

Exercise for sure. I can tell the difference on a long ride - if I've been active I can stay in the saddle longer. Last weekend I was in "Happy Scura Pose" for about 8 hours. Keeping your knees warm is a big help too. I got some Freeze-Out knee warmers for cheap at Cycle Gear. They are comfortable and offer an extra layer of wind protection.

Yeah, going to the gym got me back on sport bikes. Basically needed to build core strength as Iaged. Building thigh strength helps, too. There's a reason for those knee indents in the tank. ;)

My extended rides are always accompanied by my sheep skin seat cover. By the time it flattens out it only is about 3/8" thick so not much help there. I use it for 'monkey butt'. I works wonders for comfort, and makes the prostate happier. The wool sheds water very well, and provides ventilation for hot days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that using an Airhawk helps a bit - improves the seat, and a bit more room to the pegs. With the stock setup, I have no problem with the bars at all, but my knees also ache. I dropped my pegs 30mm, which helps, but is still not ideal. I have found that just raising the seat height exacerbates the lean to the bars, and diminishes that feeling of being one with the bike. Keep trying - it's worth it!

All the comments on your weight and condition are legit, but what do these guys know unless they are MD's who have examined you? Hey, posting kitty photos always helps - as long as you don't plan to sit on her!

When you work with a personal trainer, he finds your weaknesses pretty fast. He said my core strength sucked. After building my core, I went back to sport bikes without issue. No more aching wrists and neck.

You don't need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.. :)

All the comments on your weight and condition are legit, but what do these guys know unless they are MD's who have examined you? 

Well its about the engineering really, 65LBS extra weight plus the shock loading going through each knee 6 or 7000 times per day doesnt require an MD to work out. Nor does diminishing flexability and core strength required to support your skeletal frame and keep you doing the stuff you want to do.

My Gym is about 45% plus 65 year olds these days and good on them. I'm betting every one of them wishes they had started gym years earlier than they did, but great to see anyway.

The sore butt is easily solved without making your bike look like some daggy old rat bike(aka the lambs wool cover). Go and buy youself a pair of cycling nicks with the padded chamos gusset and wear them under you riding pants. Theres a reason cyclists,myself included can do a hundred KLM ride on something with a seat like a modern pushbike has and still walk at the end of the day....its called riding nicks.

Your a cripple without them after a long pushbike ride and ready to do it all again the next morning when you use them. Needless to say they work a treat on motorcycles as well.  

Ciao

On the subject of sore bodies and "Happy Scura Pose", I have a slightly different issue.

I have a large (65 cm) head and a very short neck.  So, when I try to lift my head to look up from the Happy Scura Pose, the back of my Schuberth C3Pro helmet jams up against my back and shoulders and fights back. 

Anyone know of a helmet that is short or arched in the back like racing helmets used to be?

Hate to have to go to a pudding bowl.

I find my legs get tired all bunched up on the Sport.  Unlike my other bikes, the seat seems comfy.  But after an hour or so I want to stretch my legs.  

I am one of those 60+ guys that have gone to the gym over the last year or so. I've lost 20 lbs.   My knees don't hurt much, since I started jogging.  I also over did it on the weight machines and burst a vein in eye but luckily my vision is mostly back.  

So work at a reasonable pace.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my new Icon Airframe Pro helmet.

Absolutely solves my problem with the helmet interfering with the back of my neck in the happy Scura pose.  The cutout at the back is large and the head maneuverability is excellent.

The helmet fits my huge cinder block head well.  I haven't ridden with anything but a modular lately, so the full face is a bit of a squeeze to get my head into.  Once there, very comfortable except for the "tight" cheek pads which again is probably more of an issue with my cinder block with chipmunk cheeks.  Unfortunately, Icon doesn't have thinner cheek pads than the ones provided in this size.  Maybe some make shift re-upholstery is in order.

Vision is outstanding as is ventilation.  Not as quiet as my C3 Pro, but I wouldn't call it noisy, just that the C3 sets a high bar for quietness.

Fabulous helmet, especially for the price.