Curiosity ?. V11 LeMans Long Distance Tire choice?

JesterGrin_1

Curiosity ?. V11 LeMans Long Distance Tire choice?

I know from reading posts that many here like and use the Pirelli  Angel GT's. But what if one plans say up to about  a  10,000 Mi trip? Of course one could find someplace to stop and have a rear tire replaced along the way but I was wondering that there has to be a good tire for our V11 Sport/LeMans bikes that would serve well in such a situation? 

This is a timely post as several friends and I are currently making plans for an extended ride later this year up the east coast.  I have Michelin PR4's on the bike right now and have been very happy with the handling and wear with about 4,000 miles on them so far.  Although there is plenty of tread left and they MAY make the entire round trip as we plan on using the Auto-Train for part of the trip which will shave wear miles, I still plan on buying and installing a new set before we leave. 

One thing to consider, on a longer trip like that you are more than likely going to be carrying a heavier load with camping gear, possibly a passenger and running on some interstates at higher speeds which will increase the wear considerably.

Hopefully Andy York will chime in with suggestions as he has the most mileage on his LM of anyone else on the forum that I know of.  But Docc is trying his best to catch up!!!  

Jerry 

Andy gets some good numbers out his tires since he is so insanely smooth. His brakes last forever.

Me? I'm so choppy that I've put like 40 tires on my Sport. Trying to catch Andy York is not the way to get lots of miles on my tires!

Andy gets some good numbers out his tires since he is so insanely smooth. His brakes last forever.

Me? I'm so choppy that I've put like 40 tires on my Sport. Trying to catch Andy York is not the way to get lots of miles on my tires\

Let me tell you a story, Docc. I had been riding in the SoCal canyons for a year or three. When the serious twistys started, the A and B riders disappeared. About 2 corners, and they were gone. I thought I was a decent rider.. like everyone else does. :grin:

Fortunately, one day I was riding with Todd Egan. He followed me a bit, and said, "You're doing everything wrong. Charging corners, getting on the brakes, upsetting the chassis.. etc."  He pulled his bike out about 10 feet in front of me and said, "Follow me. Don't touch the brakes, you won't *need* them. Stay the same distance from me." We proceeded down the Snake and back, then down and up Decker canyon road. Faster by far than I'd ever gone. (!!)   It was truly an eye opener.  Flick it into the corner, start adding throttle all the way through the corner, don't mess with the bike, it is stable. :oldgit: After that, I practiced *a lot,* and could stay with the B riders, and the slower A riders. (!!!) As the years progressed I've slowed down again, but am still much faster than I ever was 20 years ago. Brakes? Still don't use them much.. :)

• Like 1

Gosh, I don't know. As of late I don't want to give up great handling for higher mileage. I guess I'm maybe incorrectly imagining a 10k mi. trip involving a LOt of "I" roads, which I only ever use for brief convenience/necessity. I've seen many a rider diverting for an emergency replacement. The cord can (and has for me) kinda show up out of nowhere when highway riding. Personally I would plan on 2 sets of tires. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I am looking forward to others suggestions on the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I go through tires pretty quickly.

I can trail brake on the Sport, whereas my Suzuki likes to stand up when I trail brake but the sport stay where I point it.  But I wear the rear out down the center.  So, trail braking isn't the problem.  Perhaps my right wrist is?

The Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 also looks like an interesting tire. But I will say that it sure seems as if the advancements in tire technology is astounding.

Without going too far off of the deep end I would think that with the age of the majority of riders on this forum we have lived with far worse tires or tires that would be greatly designed towards a particular way of riding.

So to that end of which I could be completely wrong but would not the new tire designs designed for mainly touring be as good or maybe even better than performance tires say 35 years or so ago? Well except of course the R (racing) compound tires of the day. :)

Avon 3d-xm's lasted a fair do and were great except for when god sent a flood. Don't know if you can get them inthe US? The 180 was too wide, it rode well enough but was a pain to get on/off.

I've just put angel gt's on (170), my first set of these, feel supoib so far.

I'm running the latest greatest Michelin Pilot Road. When it comes to rubber on the ground, I don't skimp.

I want the latest greatest technology holding my big ass on the road.

i can manage to 10k or a bit more out of a rear but it depends on what I am doing.

For me that is about the limit.  If you are loaded down with gear for a long tour it will be less.

I use two hard bags, a tank bag, and a center bag behind me. Tools, wet gear, etc....you will be surprised 

how much all that crap weighs.

Its been a few years, but I have also had to pick up new shoes on the road. I was traveling in the boonies and

had to buy one. A Moto what?  they had one and I said I would help get the wheel off. All is well that ends well.

In todays society of lawyers and Liability, might need to do a little more planning. I have also been told that

"we can sell ya the tire but we can't put it on. And you can't do it in the parking lot. we can only work on the brands we sell."

I've run Bridgestone,Metzler,Michelin,Pirelli ....I like the Bridgestones and Michelins.

And yes, Our street tire options are better than the Goodyears they ran on TZ750's.

andy

I am running dunlops on my Sport.  I didn't get mileage out of the Michelin PR 4 so I went back to Dunlop.  I don't think the Dunlops last any longer but they handle just as well or better and cost a a third less. 

For some reason that Sport rear doesn't seem to last more than about 4k miles. I usually get 7k on my Bandit.  

Riding buddy Darren says it's because of my right wrist.  He says he can see rubber dust every time I go.  Since learning that, I've tried not to hit it so hard.