Ohlins fork seals

Chuck

Good question about the procedure applying to *other* forks?

(The *other* V11 forks are a couple different types of Marzocchi?)

The Zooks are cartridge forks, aren't they?

Good question about the procedure applying to *other* forks?

(The *other* V11 forks are a couple different types of Marzocchi?)

The Zooks are cartridge forks, aren't they?

I reckon so? :huh2:

Thanks for that. I probably won't be riding it for a while. Since Scud brow beat me into doing the steering head bearings and I started taking stuff off, finding even more rust and corrosion... ahhh it's a slippery slope. :o

I remember someone saying ' you can always find a problem if you look hard enough '

Oh, and I am fond of this one:

"You find what you look for and see what you know."

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I probably won't be riding it for a while. Since Scud brow beat me into doing the steering head bearings and I started taking stuff off, finding even more rust and corrosion... ahhh it's a slippery slope. :o

...and how were the steering bearings? My Scura's bearings were almost dry. Did you find whatever was causing the little problem in your steering?

Careful on that slope...  :oldgit:

Well, it takes a big man to tell you he screwed up.

So, I blame Scud. :oldgit::grin:  He's the one that brow beat me into checking the steering head bearings.

You remember I had the Mighty Scura on the factory work stand and Pit bull front?

32808764885_cc037f0292_c.jpg

Ok, to get the triples off, I planned to put my hydraulic jack under the pan and pull the Pit bull out. I've done this kind of thing *many* times when I used to work on Centauros.. but I always had the rear Pit bull stand on the back. Can't do that on the Scura. It would break the plastic on the swing arms.

What I hadn't realized was when I put the front stand on, when it went over center, it must have levered the bike up just enough to take it off the work stand for a fraction of a second. As soon as the Pit bull went over center, it settled back down.

When I put the hydraulic jack under the pan, as the Pit bull came out, the bike settled on the rear wheel and the jack and fell over. :rolleyes::o

Fortunately.. the chicken started flapping his wings like crazy. He didn't want that 500 plus pounds motorcycle landing on him and heading down to the bottom of the grease pit. He managed to save the day. :)

Now, l had a bike laying on it's side with no front end on it. Fortunately, the fuel tank wasn't leaking, or I'd just have hooked the van to it and drug it out of the Guzzi Garage. ™ Gas fumes and a grease pit are *not* a good combination. Nobody was around.. Dorcia was subbing at school, and Harley Bob was out flying somewhere. I decided it was as good a time as any to see how my back was rehabbing, folded up the cherry picker, cave manned it into the van, brought it up to the Guzzi Garage ™ and picked the Scura up. Need I say when Dorcia came home she bitched me out for that? :lol: "Hon, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.."

32544569350_9107c076f1_c.jpg2017-02-15_07-46-21 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Damage appears to be minimal at a cursory examination. The exhaust is tweaked, it'll tweak back. The brake lever is a little bent.. it'll *probably* bend back. If so, I'll NDT it. The brake reservoir is broken. That's about it. Oh, maybe a little scuffed paint and a couple of holes in the drywall. That'll be patina. ;)

After all this, the chook was seriously giving me the stink eye, but I told him it was Scud's fault..

Yes, that is clearly my fault. As restitution, I will send you the brake reservoir from Joe's bike. I might have a brake lever too - let me dig around.

Yeah, fire is bad. I happened to drive by Moto Forza today, the Ducati/Husqvarna dealer where I got my Ohlins forks and shocks rebuilt recently. It was all fenced off. As I drove by, it was clear there had been a fire. Just looked up the news...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-me-escondido-fire-update-20170212-story.html

There were some very special motorcycles in there (including a MH900e), not just the new inventory.

So... we DO all have fire extinguishers in our workshops... right?